Are supervisors from private companies allowed to 800 you?

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
Are supervisors from private companies allowed to 800 (check) you and your volunteer bus? Just wondering because I ran into a supervisor from a private company and he asked to see all our stuff. What about FDNY supervisors?

medicb

Forum Probie
I am pretty sure that cant. Its a different organization service all together. Now if it is an OEMS inspector/state Representative that is different, they can do spot checks.

Brandon

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Are supervisors from private companies allowed to 800 (check) you and your volunteer bus? Just wondering because I ran into a supervisor from a private company and he asked to see all our stuff. What about FDNY supervisors?

Depends. In Wake County, any supervisor in the county is technically my senior officer, even if they work for a different company, and I would comply with their request. If there is no established hierarchy, and someone is just a senior officer of their company (or they are from a different system), I will politely refuse.

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
This is a situation where you need to contact your state EMS office for clarification. I know that in TN, the only people that are going to be checking my truck are the Regional EMS consultant, or my supervisor. As far as NY goes, I have no clue....

MEDIC802

Forum Crew Member
No one is "checking" my truck but my supervisors or manager, of course the state EMS office can do spot checks whenever they like.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Your best option is to check with your company, especially with how NYC is set up with the voluntary/volunteer 911 ambulances. If the ambulance is dedicated to the 911 system, I can definitely see why part of that contract would include allowing FDNY supervisors to check on ambulances operating within the 911 system.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Are you sure they even worked for another company? You might wanna check your narc box :rolleyes:

What a great gig I can see it now.

"Hey I'm with ABC EMS and I'm here to inspect your truck, don't argue with me if you have a problem take it up with the union, what's this Oxycontin doing here this is a recalled batch I'm going to have to confiscate this and note this infraction in your personal record, and sweep out this truck have some pride in your work place. Have a nice day."

dmc2007

Forum Captain
IIRC, FDNY supervisors can inspect any ambulance operating under the auspices of FDNY 911, but I would be surprised if a private supervisor could as well.

94H

Forum Lieutenant
IIRC, FDNY supervisors can inspect any ambulance operating under the auspices of FDNY 911, but I would be surprised if a private supervisor could as well.

I think some of the voluntary hospitals have supervisors acting as "conditions" cars, wouldnt be surprised if they could inspect a 911 unit.

If you were a non-911 truck I wouldnt let anyone except my company's supervisor or someone from Remsco/State EMS inspect it

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
How/why are there volunteer services in NYC? Is there a need for it?

94H

Forum Lieutenant
How/why are there volunteer services in NYC? Is there a need for it?

There are volunteer services in NYC, most are holdovers from the 80s or earlier when EMS in NYC had horrible response times. They provided their communities with EMS services in a reasonable amount of time and usually for little or no charge.

What I was referring to though is voluntary EMS units. Those are ones put on the streets, mostly by hospitals, and are under contract to respond to 911 calls.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
instead of asking a bunch of strangers from all over the world, why not ask your supervisor, so you can get the correct answer for your agency, not a bunch of opinions from various people who may or may not be right.