Aquatic Rescue

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
Saturday me and my friends were at a resort for our Gr12 holiday (done with school whooo!).

The water park was closed and we played on one of the rides (long slide with pools in the middle), and the Lifeguard/Paramedic came to us and told us to leave, we pleaded and he let us stay.

A while later my friend Michelle was walking up this slippery slide when she slipped and hit her jaw. Out cold she slid down the 15m slide.

Before she was at the bottom i was after her from the top and tried to keep cspine in the water.

Then I held her cspine from behind with my arms under hers, and me and my friend tried to get her down the last 5m slide from the pool we were in now (VERY slippery).

At the bottom the same lifeguard/medic came running and we immobelised her. That was real ironic. I had a laugh with him afterwards :D :lol: :D

She stayed in hospital 'til today, and is wearing a c-collar for another weak.

Her S&S were nausia, bleeding chin, difficult speech, pain in C1, and throbbing frontal lobe pain.

BP, Pupils, all were fine.

So guess who's not playing on slides with girls anymore!!!!

But afterward i felt bad coz firstly I was so obsessed with cspine that i didn't even check breating, and i'm sure i should have left her in the pool she was in. but yeah.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I did that training back in Boy Scouts when I was 12.

Jon

OP
OP
Rangat

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
Hey... You making fun of me???

It's not my fault i didn't get very far in the Scouts! B)

Besides, I'll have full Aquatic Rescue Training in 2yrs with my BTech... :D

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not fond of water...

I've taken water rsq classes as per my school and employment requirements.

But I can swim about as well as the Titanic can float.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
I did some training on aquatic rescue along with the rest of stuff in my rescue tech class that I did. Didn't mind it to bad. Use to love to swim.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I just did the PA state DCNR Water Rescue Awareness (Shore based rope/line rescue). Very good class. We crosstrained with 3 of us from the Ambulance Co. joining our 2 local FD's with water rescue capabilities. Good class.

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Of course DCNR has to train you, that way they don't have to do anything. We never called them to forest fires b/c they're just like the PA DOT. Paid shovel holders.. everyone's a supervisor.

Don't Care Now Recall-us

emtff99

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Nov 29 2005, 06:19 AM
Of course DCNR has to train you, that way they don't have to do anything. We never called them to forest fires b/c they're just like the PA DOT. Paid shovel holders.. everyone's a supervisor.

Don't Care Now Recall-us
But wait Alex, you forgot about the Stop Sign Holders also ;) anyhow, within our Dept we have 2 Certified Divers but no one else. We have been discussing the fact of getting some classes going for the remaining to work as "Line Tenders" & some sort of Ice Rescue Class(es) since the lake will be freezing over soon & all the Winter fishermen will be out there.

I will gladly be one to stand on shore holding the line, but that would the extent of my "Aquatic Rescue" training. This lake & myself already have a "bad history" together.