Applying for first job

NC-EMT08

Forum Probie
I just passed the National Registry and will be taking the state exam this week, so I am almost ready to apply for a paid position with my county service (Guilford County EMS).

The application is online, but allows you to attach documents. Should I attach a resume even though the application itself is fairly extensive? There is also the open-ended "Why should we hire you for this job?" section. Is there anything I should be sure to mention? I appreciate any input and I apoogize if this topic has been covered already. I did a search, but did not find anything that directly applied.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The application is online, but allows you to attach documents. Should I attach a resume even though the application itself is fairly extensive?
Is there anything at all that you can put on a resume that isn't on the application? If so, then yes, attach a resume.

There is also the open-ended "Why should we hire you for this job?" section. Is there anything I should be sure to mention?

What makes you unique. What qualifications and experiences do you have that sets you apart from every other John/Jane Doe with a cert? What can YOU do for the company? What can YOU contribute? Just don't lie or exaggerate.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
i second that.
there are a ton of EMT's on the market to chose from...you have to make a strong case of why these people should hire you. Basically what will set you apart is your criminal record and your answers to the essay questions.

good luck.

OP
OP
N

NC-EMT08

Forum Probie
Thanks for the input. I just feel like its a fine line between selling myself and seeming like I am totally full of myself. I'm probably over-thinking this whole thing, I just really want the job. I appreciate all the suggestions, this forum has been an amazing resource.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Absolutely include your resume! As others have said, what makes you more qualified or better for the position?

A few suggestions:
1. Read and re-read your responses to the online application, and make sure you have no spelling errors. FireFox has a built in spell check.
2. Call to follow up once you submit your application, or send an email.

Who are you applying for? I used to live near Greensboro.

Good luck!

OP
OP
N

NC-EMT08

Forum Probie
Who are you applying for? I used to live near Greensboro.

Good luck!

I'm applying for Guilford County EMS. I've heard they're pretty picky, some of my instructors are paramedics there. I just finished at Guilford College.

How much non-EMS related experience should I include in a resume? For example, will they care that I was Student Government President in college? Thanks again for all the great suggestions.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Does Guilford County EMS even hire EMT-Basics? Good luck!

OP
OP
N

NC-EMT08

Forum Probie
Does Guilford County EMS even hire EMT-Basics? Good luck!

Yep. Not too long ago they started their own in-house paramedic academy for the Basics on staff. They admit up to 15 of their top EMTs to the academy. Regardless, all Basics and Intermediates have to be in medic school somewhere within one year of getting hired. Getting into their paramedic academy is my goal.