Applying for a EMT position with a point on my license

Crlampi

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone, just a quick question: I'm planning on taking the EMT-B course in California, and plan to apply for a job soon after. I'm curious as to whether or not a point on my license for running a red light will effect my chances of employment in this regard despite my otherwise clear and clean driving record? Any help would be great. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Hey everyone, just a quick question: I'm planning on taking the EMT-B course in California, and plan to apply for a job soon after. I'm curious as to whether or not a point on my license for running a red light will effect my chances of employment in this regard despite my otherwise clear and clean driving record? Any help would be great. Thanks

How long ago did the incident take place?

Thindian

Forum Crew Member
No, it won't affect you the privates will hire anybody so long as you have a pulse.^_^
You're... wrong? This isn't the Army. Sure it's a lot easier getting hired by an IFT company, but private's in your area (McCormick, Care, AMR) don't exactly hire anyone with a pulse. I know McCormick won't hire you if you have two or more points on your record (I heard they do make exceptions though). AMR won't either. I'm not sure about Care, but I'm assuming they all share the same standards.

For example, McCormick is pretty backed up right now. Incoming EMT's are waiting months for call backs. If you're a brand new EMT applying to AMR, good luck, as their hiring percentage is relatively low in SoCal.

I'm super happy for you. You got a job with a fire department in a fire-heavy area. I do envy you, as do the rest of us idiots who work the private sector.