Applying a EKG to a female patient

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
I've never had the issue come up. I guess if they really refused, I'd have them sign an AMA. Or...they could get out and walk. :)

medic417

The Truth Provider
I've never had the issue come up. I guess if they really refused, I'd have them sign an AMA. Or...they could get out and walk. :)

If they are only refusing a procedure you do not have the right to refuse further care. Patients have the right to decide what they allow you or even the doctor to do. If they refuse a procedure, explain the risks, then treat them to the best of your ability with what they do allow.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
If they are only refusing a procedure you do not have the right to refuse further care. Patients have the right to decide what they allow you or even the doctor to do. If they refuse a procedure, explain the risks, then treat them to the best of your ability with what they do allow.
If they refuse, I'd have someone else do it.. I had that happen occasionally during clinicals. I was fine with it.

I remember hearing a story about my old Ambulance Capt (a longtime friend of the family). He was once on a maternity call with a woman as a patient who was a relative of his (Cousin?). THe patient was in labor and at full-term, and was VERY resistant to him doing an exam on her... so he talked his student through the exam... which went fine until they were pulling up to the ED and the (female) student saw the top of the baby's head.... at that point, my friend explained that HE had to take over, and he did.... the patient's concern was more that she didn't want someone she KNEW to examine her like that.... imagine how complex Thanksgiving Dinners have become :D

Of course, this was so long ago that the student is now our ambulance captain :).