Anyone ever made a big move for EMS?

FutureFlightMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Hi everyone-it has been a while since I posted, and I thought this forum would be the perfect place to ask for some helpful advice. As most of you know, I didn't pass the final exam in my paramedic class, and am planning to retake the program elsewhere. (Unhappy with my education at that school). I was working full time as an ED tech till I left for school. Now, there is no full time position currently available there, so I work there on a fill in basis. My thought is this-Since I want to become a flight medic (but will need several years in a busy 911 ground system), and need to go to paramedic school to achieve this, what is everyone's opinion if I moved to the east coast to work as an ED tech in a level 1 Trauma Center while attending paramedic school somewhere nearby (if possible), with the hopes of getting a job there after graduation and getting my years of experience needed and then finding employment with a flight service? I am a small town girl and have never left the west coast; my family is here-but it seems that getting out and trying a new city with a large trauma center might be beneficial. I know that the larger the city, the more chance for a good job in a busy system. I am thinking about Pennsylvania. I have done some research for the trauma centers and Allegheny General and Lehigh Valley Hosp. They both also have large flight programs. This would be an incredibly big transition for me, but I feel I should try. Has anyone ever done something like this ? Anyone from Pennsylvania out there who know about good schools, city info, etc.. Any and all opinions are welcome. You are my EMS family!! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
F

FutureFlightMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Is Anyone there?

Still waiting for anyone's advice or thoughts on my above post.....:unsure:

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Ca is beautiful and I'd probably stay there and get my NREMTP first. Flight jobs are competitive here on the east coast just like they are anywhere else. If I were you, I'd work in LA and get lots of trauma experience there at one of the level 1 trauma centers.

bikenburn

Forum Probie
I moved from CA to MD for paramedic school and my BS at UMBC. It was a big change and until I was 20, I knew little but my home in northern CA. It was hard at first, but I needed to make the move to A) get my education, and B) get some perspective and experience elsewehre in the country. I wouldnt say it's a bad idea, but it's a big one. good luck with it all.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Reality check time.

First be sure that you have your ducks in a row... Life is hard sometimes, no matter where you go. I do honor your ambition and dreams, and would never attempt to ever challenge that.

Now, what I do challenge is moving to "big" cities to get a job or education. Remember the bigger the city, the more competition and higher costs of living and associated dangers. Just cause you work at a large metro area does not mean you are better or get more experience. In fact quite the opposite I have found out.

There are many other trauma centers that have high respectability an educational programs within California and Western area. Washington state is a premier area that has a history of outstanding medic programs and trauma centers.

I would recommend urban areas < 150,000 to gain experience. Especially one that does not have Level I trauma centers within their immediate areas. Rather they have one in a nearby area. This allows one to develop exposure to trauma, medical and possibility of transport to regional medical centers. Patient contact time and increased medical protocols, will gain experience and knowledge. As well, if you want to be a flight medic this is where you meet them. Downtown is not the usual place to land a bird...lol

I personally would recommend a small ER to be able to learn from, if one to be an ER tech while in school. Busy trauma centers are too busy to teach most of the time, as well ER tech's only perform designated assignments.

Just because it says Level I or come from big cities does not always mean great experience and those with real experience realizes that, for future reference for being hired.

Get your life settled down, get your feet wet locally, then if you find you still need to move across the country, it will be there.
Again, good luck in your personal decision.

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
You have to make sure you have a job or other opportunities lined up before you move. Spend some time where you're moving too first, to make sure you can stand to live there. Sign a 6-month lease or find roommates to start with so you can leave easily if it doesn't work out.

(Yowzer, in a small town that he only moved too to try to get on a volunteer fire department, didn't, now stuck until next summer, and realizing he's much happier in a a big city...)

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I am a New Yorker. I don't know the best places outside of the NYC/NJ area to train so I will discuss NYC.

NYC is extremely expensive place to live but 20ish women are from someplace else usually California.

St Vincent's Hospital on 12th and 7th ave in NYC is a world class trauma center with a world class Paramedic program. If possible its highly recommended. Of course I am going to be a medic and am not going into that program as of this moment. I have chosen Rockland Community College in Suffern, NY.

NYC has many Emergency Rooms to work in but if you went through a paramedic program, it means your probably already an EMT. If you have national certification, you could ride on an ambulance in NYC while training to be a paramedic.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
If you want to go to Pittsburg, the Center for Emergency Medicine has a world-renowned Medic traning program. I don't know much about that side of the state, but from what I understand, the suburbs of Pittsburg seem to be a nice place to live and work.

As for Lehigh Valley.... no idea... I belive you are thinking of University MediVac... and I'm not sure how they work.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I am a small town girl and have never left the west coast; my family is here-but it seems that getting out and trying a new city with a large trauma center might be beneficial.

Where are you living right now? Like Rid said, you might consider something a little different. I know a few hospitals around here that seem to always be needing people. Busy places, too. Half our hospitals go red on what seems like a daily basis.

Apparently we're the 9th busiest EMS system in the country. At least the county says we are.