Any WI EMT's/Paramedics?

subliminal1284

Forum Lieutenant
If so I would like some advice. How is the EMS program in WI specifically the Kenosha area? I am not yet an EMT but plan on getting my EMT certification this year and was wondering how difficult it is to get hired as an EMT in this area and what the pay is like? I know the pay wont be much but enough to live off of would be nice. I am originally from the southwest FL area and I know the EMT's get paid half way decent there.

What advice would you have for me? This is something I want to do regardless of what the pay is like, If it is difficult to get a paying job in this area as an EMT I am sure the EMT certification would help me in getting a dispatcher position and I know they pay them decent, makes no sense to me why they pay them more than the people actually on the scene :wacko:

8jimi8

CFRN
its probably easier to fill a medic's spot than retraining dispatchers?

OP
OP
S

subliminal1284

Forum Lieutenant
Really? I wouldnt think so. Here you dont even need any schooling or certifications of any kind to be a dispatcher.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Dont they require EMD certification? Training on E911? Background in EMS/Public Safety? Note dispatchers for private services are different from 911 center staff...

OP
OP
S

subliminal1284

Forum Lieutenant
I am talking about county/city dispatchers, In this area the only requirement to apply for a dispatcher position is a High School Diploma. I dont know if they give you the EMD training after you are hired or not. But a High School Diploma is their only requirement to apply for the position. The starting pay for a 911 dispatcher here is like $15.00 an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Like my other professions, the level of training required by Dispatchers tends to vary from place to place. This has been a sore point in my neck of the woods for a while. In my county we have 4 dipatch center: County Sheriff (and EMS & SAR), City Police, Fire, and Forest Service. Fire are the only Dipatchers that I respect. They seem to be trained well and know what to do. However, a position recently opened up in the PD Dispatch Center and because of the economy everyone and their mother applied. Why? Because the only requirements were 1. to be able to type 35wpm and 2. they had to be able to attain EMD certification as a Dispatcher within the next year (take a test after on the job training). Everything is on the job and no prior expereince or training was required. Now, I know 3 people who applied because they met that mininimum requirement:
1. A Cellular Phone Rep that it is more than a little absent minded.
2. A Kennel Attendant at a Veterinary Hospital that should probably leave medicine now.
3. A 40 year old mom with almost no work experience that volunteered with SAR because "she had a horse".
These people are all nice, but completely unsuited. But at least one was seriously considered form what I hear through the PD! My dispatchers aren'y much better. I would love it if prior training and certification were required for those people that are expected to be the lifeline for the community and for the units they throw out into the field. Sometimes it is scary!

OP
OP
S

subliminal1284

Forum Lieutenant
Exactly! Thats why it makes no sense whatsoever to me that they pay dispatchers more than someone actually on the scene.

rjddvm

Forum Crew Member
I'm in Wisconsin, but not in the Kenosha area. My understanding (and I'm pretty new to this myself, so take it FWIW) is that paid EMT-B jobs are quite difficult to find in this state; almost all of the EMT-B services are volunteer only, or pay only for the time you are actually on a call. Several paramedic services in the area are hiring but most seem to be transfer-only services.

One area EMT-B service pays something like $1 total per call, another pays $18/hour while out on a call. So yeah, you are getting paid, and if the $18/hour on call service has a busy shift, you'd make a bit of money. But I don't think it's something you could rely on to make a living.

Your best option might be to find out what EMS services are active in the Kenosha area and contact them individually.

OP
OP
S

subliminal1284

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah looks like I am going to have to get the EMT certification and then go for basic fire If I want to stand a chance getting hired on with a fire department. Are you going to go to fire too or are you going for full paramedic?

rjddvm

Forum Crew Member
Who, me?

Paramedic only. I really don't have any interest at all in being a firefighter, although I really admire the profession. Plus I'm probably too old!

I did my EMT-B at the local tech school last fall, and of the 16 of us who made it through, I'd say 14 were interested in becoming paid firefighters. Two for sure were only doing the class because the department for which they were interns required it. One of them didn't make it through but was going to take the class again.

Since Kenosha is so close to the state line you might also want to look at programs/departments in northern Illinois.

rjddvm

Forum Crew Member
Why are you moving to the Frozen Tundra? It's actually supposed to SNOW here on Tuesday and it's almost May!!!!

rjddvm

Forum Crew Member
Oh duh, sorry, I misread your first post and thought you were planning to move here. It's a great state from about April through mid-January but after that the snow should all melt. :)

*ofLife

Forum Crew Member
I'm currently a volunteer EMT-B from the madison area. it really does vary as far as open job positions go. don't let it be one of your deciding factors in whether you want go get involved in EMS or not. Usually, the deciding factors in hiring EMS personnel are training and experience related. My best advice is to ask around and see what kind of things the services around you are looking for in personnel.

And remember- JOB SECURITY is a plus in any medical position with today's economy. There will always be disease, accidents, and stupid people getting hurt that are going to need your services.

hailstone

Forum Ride Along
Sorry to dig up an old post, but i saw there are several folks from the Madison area.

I am just wondering if any of you have had any experience with MATC's Paramedic program, or if you have heard anything about it?

Thanks!!

rjddvm

Forum Crew Member
I've applied for the class that starts in fall. Applications were due yesterday and at some point they will interview applicants and have them take a written EMT test--not sure if they do that for all applicants or if they screen some out first.

I know a little bit about the program, not much--so might or might not be able to answer any questions.

hailstone

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the quick reply rjddvm!

I sent an application in early April, so hopefully we both make it!

I did make it down last weekend for one of their Experience MATC tours, but I guess the Paramedic classes are at the Commercial Ave Campus. So I still feel like I am shooting in the dark a little, but if no one says its a horrible program I guess its a go if I make the cut.