Any tips for getting started in EMS in Boston?

GreatJob

Forum Ride Along
I'm a college student living in the Boston/Brookline area and I just got my MA certification. I put in a bunch of online applications and am trying to get in contact with companies, but the HR departments aren't responding to my phone calls/emails. How long do you think it will take before I can get a job as an EMT-B? What companies should I apply to/call? Any tips appreciated, thanks.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
It's tricky no doubt with no experience in MA. Try the IFTs like eascare, McCall, and Brewster.

quijibo

Forum Ride Along
I believe that there has been a lot of moving around recently. My company has been hiring a lot of people from other companies. Keep applying. Any interviews yet at all?

OP
OP
G

GreatJob

Forum Ride Along
I believe that there has been a lot of moving around recently. My company has been hiring a lot of people from other companies. Keep applying. Any interviews yet at all?

I have a prehire test with Cataldo in a week and a half. Fallon rejected me, Armstrong's orientation conflicts with my classes, ProEMS isn't hiring, Brewster isn't hiring.

quijibo

Forum Ride Along
When I was hired the company didn't care what I was doing... I had to be available for orientation. Sucks I guess...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
When I was hired the company didn't care what I was doing... I had to be available for orientation. Sucks I guess...

That's the way it I'd. There's too many emts looking for jobs so they don't need to bother working with anyone's schedules. They make the rules. It's like that all over

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm a college student living in the Boston/Brookline area and I just got my MA certification. I put in a bunch of online applications and am trying to get in contact with companies, but the HR departments aren't responding to my phone calls/emails. How long do you think it will take before I can get a job as an EMT-B? What companies should I apply to/call? Any tips appreciated, thanks.

I am also a college student from MA, though I go to school Colorado and work my breaks for a Boston based company, so it is possible. It did take me one summer of being licensed and not finding a job, but I was eventually successful.

Figure out how far you're willing to drive for work, and then apply everywhere in that range. I really do mean everywhere. The more places you are able to apply to, the more likely you are to stumble across a company that happens to be hiring.

Try to apply in person if at all possible to maximize the chances of scoring an interview on the spot or at least scheduling one right away. Given this, dress to impress even if you're just going to pick up an application, it can't hurt and will make a good impression. Also bring along a copy of your resume, driving record (a printout can be obtained from the RMV's website) and a letter of recommendation if you have one.

If you have to apply online, be sure to call and make sure that they have received your application. Don't take no response as a "no," keep calling every few days till you are able to speak to the person you want to. Heck I leave voicemails for my bosses that don't get returned and I'm actually an employee so you can imagine applicants are well down their priority list. Same thing with email.

Most companies hire in cycles, so while no one is hiring now, that doesn't mean they won't be in the near future.

dmc2007

Forum Captain
As Tigger said, biggest key is applying in person. A lot of these companies get so many applications online, that there is no reason to sift through them since a certain proportion walk their credentials in.