Any JOB & SCHOOL advice for a TN EMT-IV moving to FL???

XlntEMT

Forum Ride Along
I was hoping some one could give me some advice about schools and EMT jobs near Tallahassee! I just got my EMT-IV license here in TN but I'm moving to FL in Jan2012. What private companies are near that area? I can't seem to find any through Google! ;) I see that TCC is offering a EMT-P program but I wouldn't mind taking an AEMT class while I wait on the program to start. Any sincere advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. :)

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
First off why FL? I dont know how the job situation is in around tally but South of Orlando it sucks.... I live in WPB right now and MEDICS,AMR and American are on a freeze.. If you have experience it might help. I`m planing on moving out of FL

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
First, take your TN EMT IV cert and throw it away.

Florida has EMT Basics and Paramedics, that is it, there is no in between. You will have to try and get a Florida EMT Basic certificate which may be possible if you already have National Registry. Otherwise, you may be starting from scratch.

After you resolve your certification issues, you now face employment issues. The majority of Florida is Fire Rescue meaning unless you have attended a Florida Fire Academy in addition to your FL medical certs, you will be hard pressed to find a government job (city/county 911).

You can look to all the privates but the pay is horrible and they do inter-facility transports which are fine but remember there is competition for these jobs as well.

As for the Tallahassee area, you can try the county...they have some PRN positions advertised, but that doesnt matter until your certs are finalized.

http://www.leoncountyfl.gov/LCEMS/

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
X

XlntEMT

Forum Ride Along
Did a random Disney internship a year ago & realized that I really like FL so Im trying to make it my new home. There's a HUGE darn near statewide freeze here in TN. Plus I just got accepted to FSU ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
X

XlntEMT

Forum Ride Along
lol Thanks for the advice. I passed NREMTs so I guess I need to start looking at FL's fire academies. O! And I will definitely check out the website :)