any ER tech's in here?

dslprod

Forum Crew Member
hello all i currently work in healthcare but its always been a goal of mine to work as an ER tech. i have an interview wed for an ER tech position. can someone tell me about their experience as an er tech.

thanks

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Kind of short notice for interview advice. I wonder if the other 200 or so applicants are better prepared. But your in luck, I am on vacation this week and as usual the weather even for dirt bike riding sucks so I have plenty of time on my hands and would be glad to help you out. With such little time we should get down to business. I am 3 for 3 on getting techs hired so let's not screw up my record.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I worked as a float tech for the ED (officially I was a floor tech, but I spent more time in the ED than on my floor), so I can help as well.

OP
OP
D

dslprod

Forum Crew Member
I worked as a float tech for the ED (officially I was a floor tech, but I spent more time in the ED than on my floor), so I can help as well.

thx guys so what was ur interview process like? the only time ive "worked" in the ed dept was when i did my "er observation" for my emt b class.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I didn't have to do any written tests. I had a floor interview, so I'm not gonna be much help for that :p

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
thats ok i appreciate ur replies tho. so what was life l like in the ed dept for u?

A lot of fun. As a tech I was usually looked at to do 12leads, IV starts, lab draws, changing sheets, bed pans (usual floor tech work, in addition to the fun stuff). I also did CBGs, but here in NM that is a basic skill, so it was nothing new. You'd also do lots and lots of vitals.
One of the most fun aspects was helping at triage with the nurse.
Keep in mind, I was a basic for the majority of my time working in the ED.

EDIT: Also we did a lot of the splinting and wound care in the ED. In fact the only thing I could get out of the pyxis was DermaBond :p

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

dslprod

Forum Crew Member
A lot of fun. As a tech I was usually looked at to do 12leads, IV starts, lab draws, changing sheets, bed pans (usual floor tech work, in addition to the fun stuff). I also did CBGs, but here in NM that is a basic skill, so it was nothing new. You'd also do lots and lots of vitals.
One of the most fun aspects was helping at triage with the nurse.
Keep in mind, I was a basic for the majority of my time working in the ED.

thats what i had thought u would say as i did the same duties as an "observer" but just wanted to hear it from an actual tech.

OP
OP
D

dslprod

Forum Crew Member
Kind of short notice for interview advice. I wonder if the other 200 or so applicants are better prepared. But your in luck, I am on vacation this week and as usual the weather even for dirt bike riding sucks so I have plenty of time on my hands and would be glad to help you out. With such little time we should get down to business. I am 3 for 3 on getting techs hired so let's not screw up my record.

ok so heres what ive done to prepare myself for this interview. ive researched the hospital, researched the dept and making sure that i know the duties that this position entails. anything else ive missed? ur advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
ok so heres what ive done to prepare myself for this interview. ive researched the hospital, researched the dept and making sure that i know the duties that this position entails. anything else ive missed? ur advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

I would like to say up front not so much for the OP but for the others that might be looking to this thread for advice. Let this serve as a lesson that you need to be on your game long before your interview not that the OP has not done their homework but I see far to many people come on this site in search of advice right before an interview. In this competitive climate being prepared up front could be what sets you apart from the other candidates.

My formula along with the "nuggets" that I give prospective candidates is pretty simple, it comes from my experience not only as tech for six years but having listened to numerous nightmare interview stories from people in all areas of fire and EMS both in the ER as well as the field,from ER managers to fire command staff to people that have sat in as interview panel members. Despite what you may hear there is an art to interviewing and candidates for any job worth having need to be prepared. For fast food or other entry level jobs you may be able to take general advice because there are usually more positions than applicants,a pulse and a room temperature IQ will usually get you in the door. In fields like fire and EMS you need to be able to sell your story and that only comes with preparation. Unlike some others on the web I don't charge for my time or advice my only interest as far a techs are concearned is to see that our ER's have the best people providing the best care to our patients. I usually know prospective candidates and have a vested interest in their success. Some have been in on clinicals or have floated through the department and I may have even had their application flagged for review.

The tech position is very popular but few make it into the position full time, generally because they just don't stand above the clones and their interview answers are canned and don't really give a good impression to the panel. There are several other reasons but for now that's all I care to share on the open forum. dslprod PM me and we can go from there. I just got nominated to take an SUV full of kids to see Alvin and the chipmunks down in town, if I don't get back to you right away I will be back in a few hours. We will need about a half hour maybe less if your interested in some coaching.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
See this thread for hospital job interview tips. Most of that can be applied to the ED.

I work in a PACU, but my best friend is an ED tech. At first, she couldn't get a tech job even though she had her EMT, 6 mo. volunteering on an ALS rig, 5+ years doing SAR and other random qualifications. She was hired for a ER transport tech job, though. Her job mostly involved taking patients up from the ER to the floors, to and from radiology, etc. She also occasionally got pulled in to help with CPR and when extra hands were needed.

She worked this job for about a year and a half when an ED tech job at the same hospital opened up. She got it because of her experience working there (she did an awesome job) and the fact that she is junior-level BSN student.

She does vitals, starts IVs & foleys, splints, 12 leads, etc etc.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
See this thread for hospital job interview tips. Most of that can be applied to the ED.

I work in a PACU, but my best friend is an ED tech. At first, she couldn't get a tech job even though she had her EMT, 6 mo. volunteering on an ALS rig, 5+ years doing SAR and other random qualifications. She was hired for a ER transport tech job, though. Her job mostly involved taking patients up from the ER to the floors, to and from radiology, etc. She also occasionally got pulled in to help with CPR and when extra hands were needed.

She worked this job for about a year and a half when an ED tech job at the same hospital opened up. She got it because of her experience working there (she did an awesome job) and the fact that she is junior-level BSN student.

Many people work their way into the ED from other departments and floors. Transport is a great place to start. CNA's that float in for shifts also make great candidates when tech spots open up. Having the reputation of doing an awesome job will follow you and cant hurt come interview time. Having some ED knowledge is always a plus,its all about making connections and picking up on the culture while your in the department. If you can take that first hand knowledge and work it into your interview your well ahead of your competition. One of the big unlisted benefits that comes with the tech job is all the networking you can get done when your on shift paid or not.

I think people even with alot of field experience are a bit overwhelmed when they start in the ED without ever having spent time either working or doing clinical rotations in the department. It does happen where people come in off the street and are successful in the ED but especially in facilities where techs have an expanded scope and room to think independently it tends to be the exception to the rule.

eveningsky339

Forum Lieutenant
Did she start out as an EMT-Basic? The hospital must have trained the crap outta her. :ph34r:

I live in a rural area, so my local hospital may be different, but... The ER Techs we have are technically CNAs, who are trained in EKG, etc by the hospital. The training period is fairly extensive, considering that CNAs do not possess the critical thinking skills taught in EMT school. Trust me, I have a CNA certificate.

An EMT-B applying to our hospital ER would be redundant, since the "basic skills" are already present in a CNA certificate (supposedly). However, an EMT-I or even -P would look much better on an application, assuming you got your hands on a CNA certificate first. ;)

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Did she start out as an EMT-Basic? The hospital must have trained the crap outta her. :ph34r:

I live in a rural area, so my local hospital may be different, but... The ER Techs we have are technically CNAs, who are trained in EKG, etc by the hospital. The training period is fairly extensive, considering that CNAs do not possess the critical thinking skills taught in EMT school. Trust me, I have a CNA certificate.

An EMT-B applying to our hospital ER would be redundant, since the "basic skills" are already present in a CNA certificate (supposedly). However, an EMT-I or even -P would look much better on an application, assuming you got your hands on a CNA certificate first. ;)

Every hospital has a different way of doing things when it comes to in house training and development of ER techs. You have to remember things work differently in the hospital setting,and your ability to preform procedures comes over time once you have shown you have the required knowledge and that you can be trusted. As a tech at my facility you may preform or assist with procedures at or above the paramedic level even though you may have only your basic. You work under an RN and since you are expected to know the basics of patient care your training starts there no matter what your level of outside training or education.

Most ER managers like to see some type of pre hospital EMS experience or patient care experience like a CNA. Level of training can be from BLS and health care level CPR to EMT-P and above. I recently helped a full time FF/EMT P into an on call position. He is well aware that he will not be practicing at a level higher than a basic but having several years of pre hospital experience made him an outstanding candidate. In addition he understands the culture and functions very well in a level one pediatric emergency environment. He has the ability to take what he has learned and use it to stay one step ahead of the RN's which is greatly appreciated when we get busy.

You mentioned critical thinking and how CNA's are different from EMT's,this is one thing I hear alot from our charge nurses both in peds and on the adult side when it comes time to bring on a new tech and we start talking about what makes a good tech. CNA's are used to working under an RN and working within a well defined scope of practice,they are not expected to develop the skill of critical thinking because they stay inside the box. I know CNA's work their butts off and I appreciate their help when they float into the unit but if I need help when we get slammed I need a person who understands whats going on and can think ahead as the ambulances roll in and that is a skill many CNA's lack,not all but many. EMT's may not have their critical thinking skills fully developed but they do posses the skill and over time and with experience it will only get better. Of course the higher the level of training and the more field experience the better.

At our level one facility new techs are oriented to the unit over several shifts. During their orientation time new techs shadow a senior tech and like during clinicals they learn by doing. Most people no matter what their level of training need to be taught and signed off on some ER basics like performing EKG's (without interpretation),POC (urine dips and pregs) testing and QC,monitor placement,recording and circulating on traumas (very important),splinting (fiberglass,plaster and pre form),CBG's and phlebotomy. In addition new techs spend time working with the unit secretary where they learn how to run the show (literally) when the US is absent from the helm.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief

Yes she is. She is also a nursing student... and she may correct me if I'm wrong but I believe she was learning how to do foleys in nursing school around the same time she was hired. They would have trained her regardless. In Colorado, EMT-Bs (prehospital or hospital) can take a brief class and be "IV certified." This is pretty standard and almost all employers require it.

She has also recently started lurking around the forum... with a strikingly similar handle to mine. lol :rolleyes:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
As far as the CNAs lacking critical thinking skills... keep in mind where they're coming from.

The CNA program that I'm currently in has an excellent reputation and is better than most. Extensive clinical hours in LTC, hospice, and acute care (nearly 100 hrs) and BSN+ educated instructors determined to shape us into agents of change in the f*****-up system most CNAs work in. Compare this to the half-assed programs nursing homes throw together - operating a quick CNA mill to cope with the massive turnover.

I'm in the middle of a rotation at one of the nation's best SCI/TBI rehabilitation hospitals. Now those techs, who are all CNAs to my knowledge, have critical thinking skills. I watched as one went from casually assisting ADLs to recognizing a subtly abnormal mental status in a patient and calling a "stat" in seconds, getting his BP (which is critical in a SCI pt), etc. The patient was transferred to the ICU after the physician evaluated him.

Honestly, with a little additional first aid training, I would hire a CNA with a background like that over an EMT-B with a comparable amount of field experience for an ED tech job.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
1.5yr ED tech here. Everyone else has pretty much covered everything. Funny you should bring this up now- tomorrow I'll be on a panel with my managers to hire for new tech positions in the ED.

I actually started working in the kitchen making trays for pt's, WHILE HAVING MY EMT. Why? because I couldn't get any experience anywhere, and no one would hire without it. So I worked the only place I had experience in- Food service. did my time there for 6 mo's, and was able to transfer to another ER in the Banner system where I am presently employed.

Being an ED tech isn't what most people would think- we don't work in the Trauma room, unless they really need help. We do lots of EKGs, blood draws (and now IVs), foleys, wound care, urine collection and tests, and cleaning pt's. It does get old, but there's no where else I'd rather be. You will learn many things- there is a distinct "homeless person" smell. But seriously, depending on your location, you'll get lots of transients, uninsured folks using the ED as their primary care MD, and minor complaints like sore throats, coughs, etc.

Its the end of the road for some people- we have a couple of older techs that have made this their career, but the majority of us are in nursing school or are pre-med. The experience I've gained is PRICELESS. I find myself explaining things to RN students in their final semester when they come down for their ED clinicals.

Overall, its a great job.
Good luck!! (Sorry I didn't post sooner, as your interview is prob over by now)

OP
OP
D

dslprod

Forum Crew Member
1.5yr ED tech here. Everyone else has pretty much covered everything. Funny you should bring this up now- tomorrow I'll be on a panel with my managers to hire for new tech positions in the ED.

I actually started working in the kitchen making trays for pt's, WHILE HAVING MY EMT. Why? because I couldn't get any experience anywhere, and no one would hire without it. So I worked the only place I had experience in- Food service. did my time there for 6 mo's, and was able to transfer to another ER in the Banner system where I am presently employed.

Being an ED tech isn't what most people would think- we don't work in the Trauma room, unless they really need help. We do lots of EKGs, blood draws (and now IVs), foleys, wound care, urine collection and tests, and cleaning pt's. It does get old, but there's no where else I'd rather be. You will learn many things- there is a distinct "homeless person" smell. But seriously, depending on your location, you'll get lots of transients, uninsured folks using the ED as their primary care MD, and minor complaints like sore throats, coughs, etc.

Its the end of the road for some people- we have a couple of older techs that have made this their career, but the majority of us are in nursing school or are pre-med. The experience I've gained is PRICELESS. I find myself explaining things to RN students in their final semester when they come down for their ED clinicals.

Overall, its a great job.
Good luck!! (Sorry I didn't post sooner, as your interview is prob over by now)

thanks for the tip jeremy as its like that at the dialysis clinic i work at. the only difference is that in dialysis we see the same patients and in the ER its the whole world !

interview went great i got hired on the spot ! i start in 2 weeks. the 2 other candidates that were before me were not properly dressed bec i was in a suit lol i felt a little over dressed but it did the job. oh and i used to live in chandler i miss that super hot heat out there lol

feldy

Forum Captain
I see that you can pick up a lot of experience as a ED tech. Ive been struggling to get a job as a basic for a little while becuase 1. I have only had my basic for a few months and other than my ride alongs and some first responder for events, i dont really have any experience and 2. Beacuse i go to school out of state, most companies arent hiring for summer employment only and are asking for a minimum of 6 months (understandable but frustrating). Would it benefit me to work in an ED before i start applying for ambulance positions. I'm technically in region III MA but am looking in other regions as well. Also, does anyone know of any MA companies hiring for summer postions?