Any EMS folks go on to nursing

RunnerD1987

Forum Crew Member
Hi, apologize if any spell errors computer is on the fitz using my Kindle for now. I used to be in this forum about 4 or 5 year's ago. I currently volunteer as an AEMT with local volunteer organization in my state. Current job is a counselor/tech for a hospital so basically a mix of everything they can throw at you...blood draws, EKGs, sugars, charting, and a few other skills. I decided that been in healthcare for five year's I enjoy the work next step be to look into nursing. Financially it's better then where I am at now and more opportunities to grow.

I have zero prerequisites and my college GPA from my previous bachelor's degree is less than stellar, 2.7. I going to start working on prerequisites this fall. I should be able to complete them by the summer.

I am seeking some feedback on a few thing's. I have heard horror stories from my friends who have had 4.0 GPA and scored about 60 or hire on this test called the TEAS, still they were wait listed. I don't feel like sitting around and waiting on a "Possibly."

I can apply not this coming fall, since missed the deadline, but next fall for a paramedic program and the other is an LPN program starts in the Spring & Fall. I feel transitioning into a medic program wouldn't be bad since I have experience as an AEMT. The pay up here is similar and more job opportunities for a medic than for an LPN in my state.

However, as an LPN your a nurse at the end. Granted job market sucks for the LPN, in my area it does, pay is not stellar, I make more money what I am doing now per hour than some LPNs in the area. However, what sticks out is I will be a nurse at the end of the program. I can bridge over to a RN or BSN program.

The cost of the Medic program is 10K the cost of the LPN program is 14K. The medic program is during the Fall off the Winter back for Spring Summer and complete the program in the Fall. The LPN program is if you start in the Spring would be: Spring, Fall, Spring off during the winter and summer. The fall be: Fall, Spring, Fall.

I appreciate by feedback or insight that could be given.

Also any good states would recommend being a medic in? If I did the Medic, LPN, RN program end goal is leave current state find work in that field and continue to advance myself in Nursing education.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Most nursing schools have a 2.5 minimum to apply, but you need a 3.0 to be a contender at almost any reputable school (and some, like you mentioned, need a lot more). If you have a 2.7 in your previous bachelors but a 4.0 in all prereqs taken post-bacc, most admission boards would overlook the 2.7. I strongly recommend you focus on getting excellent grades in your prereqs and apply to an ABSN program instead of focusing on something like LPN or Paramedic.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Summit is right.

Another option might be to enroll in a traditional (non-accelerated) BSN program. They tend to be less selective than accelerated BSN programs, and in many cases are easier to get into than ASN programs, since you don't need all the pre-req's.....those courses are built into the curriculum. They also might be more forgiving of your previous GPA. Likely, many of the credits from your previous bachelor's degree would still transfer, shortening the length of the program, or at least the course load per semester.

OP
OP
R

RunnerD1987

Forum Crew Member
Appreciate the feedback still have to complete the pre reqs for both accelerated and regular track program. So going to start working on that in the fall. Going to apply to the three accelerated programs and three community college programs. Will look into three BSN programs starting with the school received my previous degree in.

OP
OP
R

RunnerD1987

Forum Crew Member
I heard Mass. next state over from me has part time ADN nursing program's. A friend of a friend, ha so it has to be true, said that community college in Worchester takes Paramedics in advanced standing for their nursing program's.

Mass seems to have a lot of evening program's. If I can balance out work as a LPN or Paramedic I could take the evening program. I feel be a detour though, but maybe it could work.

I checked with a state BSN program $40,000 be done in 3 year's about a year of school can be taken off with my previous courses, that is a full time program.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'm a Paramedic that transitioned to RN. I had to go through a traditional ADN program as there were no viable BSN options for me at that time. I'm now working and will soon finish orienting in the ED. Not all BSN programs will build the prerequisites into the programs though some will. The ones in my area do not. The student must complete their prereqs before applying. They do complete their UDGE requirements while in the program if the program is a traditional BSN track. The ABSN programs are fast and since the students all have their Bachelors upon entry, those programs do not have much extra "fluff" in them.

If I were in your shoes, RunnerD1987, I would apply to all programs that you might have even a remote chance to get into, be they ABSN, BSN, or ADN. Since there really isn't a nursing shortage for entry level nurses, the employers tend to hire BSN nurses first.

If you even are close to considering doing any travel nursing, I strongly suggest doing a program that does concurrent clinical and didactic education. That means if you're studying maternity in class, you do maternity clinical in that same Quarter/Semester, for example. Quite a few states have that "concurrent" stuff as a requirement for licensure, and California is the most strict of those.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
I'm in an accelerated ADN program in Florida. In the hospitals we do our clinicals in, LPNs are next to non-existent (Only two in one of the hospitals and they are legacies who will not be replaced when they leave), and LPNs are not being hired. We have one LPN in our class who saw the handwriting on the wall. If you're thinking of nursing, go RN. ADN or BSN.