Any advice??

Striving

Forum Ride Along
I have dreamed of working as an EMT/Paramedic for years. Despite by best efforts, I have been unable to afford school. I know without a doubt this is my calling in life, my reason for being.
I am currently reading Brady Prehospital Emergency Care 8th edition, exercising 2 hrs a day 5 days a week, and reviewing my note cards every chance I get (in between being a mom and working for minimum wage). Times are tough and I do not see an opportunity for me to attend school any time soon. However, I want to try and prepare myself as much as humanly possible until that magical day comes when I can begin formal training. Any advice on things I can add to my daily routine, studies, exercise, ect. to improve myself for my future in this field?? Is there anyone in the DFW area with suggestions for volunteer work to make myself more attractive on paper when I apply for scholarships and grants?? I currently have no medical experience and I am unsure as to what I could do to (for a resume) to show strangers that this is not a "fly by night" decision on my part and I am willing to do what ever it takes to learn and prove that I can be a true asset to the field of emergency medicine.
I will really appreciate any tips or advice you guys currently working can give me.

Have you considered applying to a local community college and applying for federal aid that covers schooling? The following link might be helpful.

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I have dreamed of working as an EMT/Paramedic for years. Despite by best efforts, I have been unable to afford school. I know without a doubt this is my calling in life, my reason for being.
I am currently reading Brady Prehospital Emergency Care 8th edition, exercising 2 hrs a day 5 days a week, and reviewing my note cards every chance I get (in between being a mom and working for minimum wage). Times are tough and I do not see an opportunity for me to attend school any time soon. However, I want to try and prepare myself as much as humanly possible until that magical day comes when I can begin formal training. Any advice on things I can add to my daily routine, studies, exercise, ect. to improve myself for my future in this field?? Is there anyone in the DFW area with suggestions for volunteer work to make myself more attractive on paper when I apply for scholarships and grants?? I currently have no medical experience and I am unsure as to what I could do to (for a resume) to show strangers that this is not a "fly by night" decision on my part and I am willing to do what ever it takes to learn and prove that I can be a true asset to the field of emergency medicine.
I will really appreciate any tips or advice you guys currently working can give me.

Volunteering is a great way to get some exposure to the field. Some programs will allow you to volly as a non medical driver and others will train you. Look for programs in your area and start making phone calls and if necessary go talk to them in person.

ponytail

Forum Probie
Are you able to volunteer? Then the squad should put you through an EMT program at no cost to you.

OP
OP
S

Striving

Forum Ride Along
yes I have looked into FASFA but would still have to come up with $1500 on my own to make it through EMT-B. I have not yet tried to volunteer at local fire stations out fear that I will be laughed out of there because I have no certifications and no professional experience. But I guess I should "man up" and take my chances....I suppose it couldn't hurt to try. Thanks guys! =)

Here's another suggestion. Often ambulance companies have employees that maintain the vehicles after the come in from off the road, (i.e. clean the rigs and restock them), and that usually doesn't require any specialized training. I know it's not what you ultimately want to be doing, but it could be a foot in the door. Correct? It might be worth while to look into.

More than $1,500 for BASIC SCHOOL?!? Look into another program...

My basic school was free, 10 years ago, as I did it through a Regional Occupational Program (ROP) while a senior in high school. Do they have such programs in Texas?

OP
OP
S

Striving

Forum Ride Along
ROP for EMT I wish! Sadly $1500 is the cheapest I found in 4 years of searching. The saying "everything is bigger in Texas" definitely applies to the cost of an education. lol. So far I found (online searching) that in tx all fire departments and ambulance companies require a minimum of at least being in an accredited EMT-B training course to volunteer or work in any capacity. But I am definitely going to take your advice and go talk to them in person to see if any opportunities do exist. ANY medical related work would definitely benefit me, even if it is not directly related to my career goals.

Does anyone have any advice on additional books/subjects I should study? I figure if I can't get into school right now I can at least study my pants off and attempt to prepare myself for what is to come. Emergency medicine has always fascinated me! I am eager to learn all I can with or without the college credit. There are so many books out there I just don't want to study information that is either out dated or incorrect. Memorizing the wrong terms could bite me in the *** later on.

For starters the Brady book is a great one! I used their Emergency Care 9th edition back in EMT school. Another suggestion I have is to try and find the accompanying workbook that goes along with the textbook. It's very helpful.

Have you thought about going through American Red Cross course? Perhaps CPR/First Aid or Emergency Medical Responder? I'm not sure how costly they are, however they might be beneficial no matter what employment you hold, and it would make you slightly more marketable.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
You're in the wrong part of Tx my friend. I teach at a great EMT program that runs 700-800. The other EMT programs around here are about $1k. Move south my friend :D

Edit: to be of some relevance to the topic, as others have said, read your book. At the minimum, read each chapter BEFORE you cover it in class, and try and run through the respective workbook chapter. That will help you out tremendously. :)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Here's another suggestion. Often ambulance companies have employees that maintain the vehicles after the come in from off the road, (i.e. clean the rigs and restock them), and that usually doesn't require any specialized training. I know it's not what you ultimately want to be doing, but it could be a foot in the door. Correct? It might be worth while to look into.

Not sure about other companies but at my agency VSTs or Vehicle Supply Technicians are required to be EMT-Bs at minimum. Reason being they can yank them out of the garage and make them drive an ambulance in the setting of an MCI, which by county policy is the only time an EMT-B can be on an ambulance here but everyone has to be medically trained on the unit hence the EMT-B requirement. Not all companies are going to be like that but it's something to keep in mind.

Does anyone have any advice on additional books/subjects I should study? I figure if I can't get into school right now I can at least study my pants off and attempt to prepare myself for what is to come. Emergency medicine has always fascinated me! I am eager to learn all I can with or without the college credit. There are so many books out there I just don't want to study information that is either out dated or incorrect. Memorizing the wrong terms could bite me in the *** later on.

Anatomy and Physiology, biology and chemistry would be my suggestions. Also math if you haven't used it in a while and are serious about going to the paramedic level.

Not sure about other companies but at my agency VSTs or Vehicle Supply Technicians are required to be EMT-Bs at minimum. Reason being they can yank them out of the garage and make them drive an ambulance in the setting of an MCI, which by county policy is the only time an EMT-B can be on an ambulance here but everyone has to be medically trained on the unit hence the EMT-B requirement. Not all companies are going to be like that but it's something to keep in mind.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but... How do EMT's in your county get valid experience if they aren't allowed on a bus except in an MCI?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Not to sidetrack the thread, but... How do EMT's in your county get valid experience if they aren't allowed on a bus except in an MCI?

We only use EMT-Intermediates and Paramedics on ambulances. P/I or P/P. basics work special events using a company car and request ALS backup for transport if they need it.

OP volunteering is definitely an option I'd look into. As others have said it's very possible to get a volly agency to pay for or at least discount your training. Where all have you been looking at classes? 1500 bucks is ridiculous for EMT-B.

I know books are expensive so PM me and I might be able to help you out.

scoot

Forum Ride Along
OP, there are definitely cheaper programs in DFW. Look into the programs through Dallas County Community College District. Brookhaven and Eastfield both offer EMT-B for around $800. Collin College, Tarrant County College, and NCTC all offer programs as well. Not sure on pricing, but I doubt they cost $1500 like the private programs around here.

Take a look at getting a job as a wheelchair van driver, some companies will offer tuition reimbursement for their employees.

Medic2409

Forum Lieutenant
OP, DFW is a pretty varied area. There are a number of volunteer departments around that will gladly take on anyone who can help. If you can get a foot in the door there, and earn your SFFMA Advanced Certificate, you can get your EMT school paid for at any public college.

Send me a PM with a better location, and maybe I can give you a heads up about departments and schools close to you.