Anxiety about new status

Parama-dick

Forum Ride Along
Well, I guess I need to give a little background before I get to the point. I started EMT school at 17, graduated high school as an EMT and started Paramedic school at 18. I didn't have an road experience and wanted to go straight through for numerous reasons. Well, I get into medic school with a class of 12. I would be lying if I didn't say it was tough on me, and everyone knew that it was. My preceptor my third semester was a complete ***, and made me feel like an idiot, and really didn't help me other than to tell me that he didn't think that I should have been allowed to go into paramedic school. I know that he was probably right and I shouldn't have, but his attitude made me very intimidated and it hurt me. I have no doubt that he was not kind while talking to the others in the dept about me, which makes me really worried about what is going to happen when I do get on a truck. When I was with other medics for the duration of the class I did fine, I was merely intimidated. I just passed my state exam and after being pushed down by almost everyone I feel like I cannot do this, that I shouldn't be doing this and that I am not ready for this. I intend to work as an EMT for hopefully a year before taking my own truck, which gives me time to get on my own and be ready to be on my own, but I am still so worried about what others are saying or thinking. I love EMS, and this is what I want to do, but I just cannot get over the past. I was one of 5 in our class that was originally 12 to finish, and I am proud of myself for doing it, but it still is there in the back of my mind.
Anyone else experienced this?:unsure:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Honestly, if you let someone dictate your self-confidence THAT MUCH, then you have to work on that aspect.

Having got that business out of the way

Don't let someone critique you to the point of doubting yourself. If you passed the state /NREMT, then you obviously are competent enough to touch people. It takes time to build confidence, don't let some jack-butt destroy it before you gain it. Prove him wrong. Prove that you ARE good at the job, and you wont let some nimwit say otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
P

Parama-dick

Forum Ride Along
I am not going to let what they think about me effect my job. I know I am good enough but it still causes anxiety. An EMS system cannot work without mutual respect and if people do not respect me, they cannot work with me. It's not really that I doubt myself, I doubt the ability to work with those people. I know I know my stuff. I know what I need to do, and I know that I am going to do what I have to in order to get it right, but it doesn't make me any less anxious.

The problem is also that people think that I am overly confident when I am obviously not, and that puts them off. I try to be confident so people don't walk over me, but I seem to come off wrong.

I am not going to let anyone stop me, and I am not going to let them see that this is bothering me, but it still does.

I didn't realize how whiney that sounded. I swear I am not that bad.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I get what you mean :p

Honestly, if you end up working with someone you can't stand, switch partners.

irish_handgrenade

Forum Lieutenant
I have one instructor like that and countless medics I have had clinicals with, but when ever I start to doubt myself I look back and see that I have been in the top of my class every semester, and in my short career I have saved a few lives, and I have helped family members deal with bad things that have happened to them. I dont care what those D***heads who talk crap think if you can get through medic school then you are not completely worthless, and if you genuinely care about the people you run on the you should do fine.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Did you get your training at one of Florida's "tech schools"?

If so, take the refresher course at a real college and see if you can build your confidence. As well, take college classes such as A&P, Pathophysiology, Microbiology etc. You can also look at the Continuing Ed classes offered for healthcare professionals at the colleges and hospitals. Meet other people, network and gain insight from their experiences while also learning something.

I also suggest you work on an ALS truck with another Paramedic if you can. Don't waste too much time on a BLS truck. If you do work the BLS trucks, do an ALS assessment each time even if you don't have all the equipment and meds. You can still think, assess and process information like a Paramedic.

The problems with many EMT and Paramedic programs are their instructors. They are not educators and more often than not, you have the minimally educated trying to teach students with just slightly less education then the instructors. Thus, to make up for their own lack of knowledge or incompetency, they teach by exaggerated field stories, bullying or indifference.

On the otherside, EMS or even other areas of healthcare is not for everyone. You should see what nursing and RT students go through. They must endure over 1200 hours of clinicals as well as the classroom work over two or four years. Physical Therapy students have 3 - 5x the hours in clinicals as well as being expected to get a doctorate degree. The meek, weak and incompetent usually do not survive.

Any program that involves patient care and the lives of patients should expect high standards from their students. You will have to stand by your assessments and treatments when questioned by other healthcare professionals or even attorneys. If someone is critical of what you did, find out why and if it was warranted. You might even learn something from a little criticism occasionally.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
My class has a student who is still in high school - he got his GED to take our class concurrent with his senior year of high school. He is incredibly intelligent, and seems to be a fine provider, from what I've seen.

We also have 40-somethings in the class that have less patient contact than this guy, and don't have a good grasp of BLS skills, let alone ALS.

Jon

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
I went directly to paramedic school after getting my EMTB. People were not lined up to hire a 48 year old EMT, especially one with no affiliation and no contacts in the EMS world. I would have liked to get some time under my belt but in the year and a half I was on the waiting list for the medic program, I could not get a job.
I am the oldest person to get my medic at the college I went to, turning 50 in my final semester. I graduated with a 4.0
I was hired as a medic in Arizona. Here, no one is allowed to go to medic school without first spending a year as an EMT. I was greener than grass. No one gave me a chance. They were actually gunning for me, looking for reasons to run me out. It was 3 months of 80 - 100 calls a month before many people even bothered to learn my name. I was determined to become the best medic I could. I was determined to prove people wrong. While I run - I don't run out. :)
The difference - I knew I could do this. I knew I would be damn good at if given half a chance. I also knew that I spent a year and a half on the waiting list because I was not interested in a 9 month zero to hero medic mill. I was going to go to the best college for EMS that I could find. The confidence I had in my education, plus the fact that I did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday gave me the tools I needed to succeed.
Vent Medic has given you good advice. Good luck to you.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
My class has a student who is still in high school - he got his GED to take our class concurrent with his senior year of high school.
Hmmm... perhaps my info is regional or dated, but it was my understanding that you couldn't get a GED until after your HS class had already graduated. It's been a very long time since I last heard that info though, so maybe that has changed, or is a state-by-state thing.

NorCalMedic

Forum Probie
Ill tell you what, if your not nervous and have anxiety as a firt time/first year medic, then there is something wrong. You have to start somewhere. The worst thing you could do is let these people get to you and turn you out of what you really want to do and may be passionate about. As long as you keep confidence in your self, is all that matters. You obviously passed the written test so you are competent enough to touch someone. You also have to remember that your preceptor could have been treating you like that for many of different reasons. I mean depending on how long he/she had been a medic or EMS they could have felt threatened by your knowledge and intelligence. Keep your head up and get out there and get expierience under your belt,and show all those with doubt what your alll about.:beerchug:

Sasha

Forum Chief
if you are really as confident as you say you are, it'll show when you work. if not you need to boost your confidence. patients desreve to have someone who has some faith in their ability working on them.

OP
OP
P

Parama-dick

Forum Ride Along
Did you get your training at one of Florida's "tech schools"?

I also suggest you work on an ALS truck with another Paramedic if you can. Don't waste too much time on a BLS truck. If you do work the BLS trucks, do an ALS assessment each time even if you don't have all the equipment and meds. You can still think, assess and process information like a Paramedic.

The problems with many EMT and Paramedic programs are their instructors. They are not educators and more often than not, you have the minimally educated trying to teach students with just slightly less education then the instructors. Thus, to make up for their own lack of knowledge or incompetency, they teach by exaggerated field stories, bullying or indifference.

On the otherside, EMS or even other areas of healthcare is not for everyone. You should see what nursing and RT students go through. They must endure over 1200 hours of clinicals as well as the classroom work over two or four years. Physical Therapy students have 3 - 5x the hours in clinicals as well as being expected to get a doctorate degree. The meek, weak and incompetent usually do not survive.

Any program that involves patient care and the lives of patients should expect high standards from their students. You will have to stand by your assessments and treatments when questioned by other healthcare professionals or even attorneys. If someone is critical of what you did, find out why and if it was warranted. You might even learn something from a little criticism occasionally.
I went to a "real college" not a trade school and I graduated with honors. I am none too worried about my competency, I am just worried about how others are going to work with me. I passed the class, my medical director felt that I was more than competent and more than confident and that's really what matters I guess. The patients like me and I am not going to lie and say that I don't make mistakes, because everyone does.

I plan to work for atleast a year before taking my own truck. I know my stuff, I have the confidence, I just need the experience before taking over on my own. I know I can do it, but I am thinking more about what is best for the patient rather than what is better for my ego.

My instructors were amazing. Most of them pushed me to no limit to make sure that I passed this. My class instructor did almost what I did at a young age and he was determined to get me through as a a competent medic. He worked with me to make up the lack of experience and got me through it. Most of the adjuncts were extra hard on me as well because they were aware of my lack of experience seeing as they had taught me in EMT classes just a few months before, and they worked so hard to get me through with flying colors. I can do this, I know I can, but it still doesn't stop me from worrying about what is to come. I would do just fine on my own truck, I passed my state exam I know that I am competent to work on a patient, but that doesn't stop nerves and anxiety.

EMS is for me, I know that, I am meant to do this and it is what I am going to do. I was told that I had a gift for it while in EMT school which I didn't even really originally want to do, and was encouraged to go into medic school right off because they believed that if anyone could do it that I could. If I wasn't going to survive this profession, I wouldn't be where I am at now. I am not meek, weak or incompetent. I never failed at anything and I do not intend to start now. If I am nervous for a while so be it. If you say you aren't worried, scared or think you know it all or have seen it all you need to quit and find a new job.

I do learn from criticism, but when there is no productive criticism I cannot. When I was given perfect evaluations until my preceptor found out that I went straight through and then my evals fell, I didn't feel that it was based on my performance. When I requested a new preceptor and took 2 weeks off clinicals and came back he passed me and said that I was doing much better. I think once I showed him how committed I was he realized that I wasn't just some stupid kid doing this for :censored::censored::censored::censored:s and giggles.
I went directly to paramedic school after getting my EMTB. People were not lined up to hire a 48 year old EMT, especially one with no affiliation and no contacts in the EMS world. I would have liked to get some time under my belt but in the year and a half I was on the waiting list for the medic program, I could not get a job.
I am the oldest person to get my medic at the college I went to, turning 50 in my final semester. I graduated with a 4.0
I was hired as a medic in Arizona. Here, no one is allowed to go to medic school without first spending a year as an EMT. I was greener than grass. No one gave me a chance. They were actually gunning for me, looking for reasons to run me out. It was 3 months of 80 - 100 calls a month before many people even bothered to learn my name. I was determined to become the best medic I could. I was determined to prove people wrong. While I run - I don't run out. :)
The difference - I knew I could do this. I knew I would be damn good at if given half a chance. I also knew that I spent a year and a half on the waiting list because I was not interested in a 9 month zero to hero medic mill. I was going to go to the best college for EMS that I could find. The confidence I had in my education, plus the fact that I did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday gave me the tools I needed to succeed.
Vent Medic has given you good advice. Good luck to you.
I know I can do this, I know that I will be damn good, there is no doubt in my mind, but that doesn't mean that I am not nervous to start something new.
Hmmm... perhaps my info is regional or dated, but it was my understanding that you couldn't get a GED until after your HS class had already graduated. It's been a very long time since I last heard that info though, so maybe that has changed, or is a state-by-state thing.
You can get a GED at almost anytime. I have a friend that got one two years before her class would have graduated. I didn't get one though. I took EMT while still in school. I graduated high school with a 3.9 gpa in the top 10% in the state, I am not stupid, I am not lacking the intelligence or the confidence to do this, I am simply nervous.
Ill tell you what, if your not nervous and have anxiety as a firt time/first year medic, then there is something wrong. You have to start somewhere. The worst thing you could do is let these people get to you and turn you out of what you really want to do and may be passionate about. As long as you keep confidence in your self, is all that matters. You obviously passed the written test so you are competent enough to touch someone. You also have to remember that your preceptor could have been treating you like that for many of different reasons. I mean depending on how long he/she had been a medic or EMS they could have felt threatened by your knowledge and intelligence. Keep your head up and get out there and get expierience under your belt,and show all those with doubt what your alll about.:beerchug:

As far as any of these people know I am as confident as they get. I don't let them know they bother me or make me nervous. I was told that my preceptor was an *** and didn't pass many people...

I am trying to find a job as an EMT or a 2nd medic on a truck right now, out of my area. My husband works for the local service and that would be too much of a conflict because we wouldn't be able to work the same shift.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
hey man,

to quote elanor roosevelt

"no one can make you feel inferior without your consent"

my two cents :D