Another first completed

Alpha752

Forum Crew Member
Well, today we had our first IV lab. We practiced on dummys for about 2 hours. After were (or so we thought) proficient, someone jokingly asked the lab instructor if we could try on him. He agreed! That started a chain reaction. The instructors agreed to let us try IV's on them, and ourselves as long as both parties agreed, and COMPLETE ASEPTIC TECHNIQUE was used. So, a buddy let me stick him. I got the line first try. It feels great to have that first live one done with. I let another guy stick me, and I guess I have difficult veins because he missed. I let him try another vein, and he missed again. On the second vein, he looked dead on, even the instructors agreed that it should have hit.

Its wierd how fast the school administrators disappeared once we started going at each other with needles. :)

It was fun, and I got the hard part done. I feel good.

Thanks for letting me share,
Russ

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
First one is always the hardest, primarily because you're so nervous about it. Congrats.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey... thatz really cool... sounds like you guy's had alot of fun during that lab. I remember during our IV lab last year it was required that we perform one successful "stick" on another student before being checked off on our compensy checksheet that gives us permission to perform the skill out in the field during clinicals.

Just my luck, I got the obese girl in my class whose veins were obscured by too much adipose tissue (trying to be nice :) ) which made them hard ti find. Somehow I did manage to get it on the first try though.

OP
OP
Alpha752

Alpha752

Forum Crew Member
Yea, I think its against school policy to stick each other, thats why all the important people disapeared when we started. They sat in their office and said "LALALALA" with their hands over their ears.

Unfourtionatly for the other guy, I am the fat guy with hidden veins. :lol:

But the way I see it, we need to learn how to stick hard people, so might as well practice on me.

I know it may not seem like a big accompishment to yall who do this every single day, but it is to me. (im sure in a couple months, ill hate IV's from doing them so much)

Thanks all,
Russ

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
We practiced on the fake arm for one night then started sticking each other. The rule was 2 holes in each student per session.

Last week I promised one of the guys who drives for me that he can stick my foot when he gets cleared for IV practice in the field (he just started medic class). That should be interesting.

OP
OP
Alpha752

Alpha752

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by rescuelt@Sep 18 2004, 11:15 PM
Last week I promised one of the guys who drives for me that he can stick my foot when he gets cleared for IV practice in the field (he just started medic class). That should be interesting.
Is that what you consider a date?

Just kidding :D

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Hahaha.... don't worry, he's not my type. :p

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by Alpha752+Sep 19 2004, 08:33 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alpha752 @ Sep 19 2004, 08:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rescuelt@Sep 18 2004, 11:15 PM
Is that what you consider a date?

Just kidding :D [/b][/quote]
ROTFLMAO! :lol: