Another California newbie asking for advice

Thindian

Forum Crew Member
Hey fellas, thanks for allowing me to post on your boards, there's a lot of valuable information here for newbies like myself!

Anyway, I'll cut right to it. I'm 20 years old, and I've recently signed up for EMT-B classes (that should end around December). I'm looking to be a part-time EMT throughout the rest of my time in college.

I have no criminal record (besides getting a curfew ticket 2 months before my 18th birthday for getting a burger from the In N' Out 30 seconds from my house at ~23:30).

My driving record, however, consists of the following -
- Speeding ticket at age 17 (went to traffic school to get it erased)
- Stop sign ticket from last year (paid off)
- Speeding ticket from 8 months ago (haven't gone to court yet)

Technically, right now, I believe I only have the stop sign ticket on my record. I don't have to go to court for the recent speeding ticket until december, and I was planning on applying for a job by then.

I have no at-fault accidents or drinking/drug related charges.

Are these tickets going to keep me from getting a job as an EMT with a local ambulance company?

Thanks for your help!

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
The short answer to your question is no. What it does depend on is the insurance carrier for the places you apply. each one will have different standards for insurability. Now, some places also won't let you drive until you are 21. Call around and ask. I will tell you this, when I got my first basic job(at a large private 911 provider in OC), I had 2 points on my record and I was able to drive. At the time, they would still hire you if you weren't insurable but you could still attend.

OP
OP
Thindian

Thindian

Forum Crew Member
I was debating on whether or not to hire a lawyer for the recent speeding ticket, I know they're expensive but if it's going to keep me from getting a job I may as well do it.

Also, is it worth it for me to take EMT-I classes here in LA county? I've been told it's a waste of time, and that I should go straight to paramedic, but I'm not sure if I want to commit that much to something I'm not looking to do full-time. I wouldn't mind furthering my education if it were to get me a significant pay-raise.

TheLastBoyScout

Forum Ride Along
Well first of all be sure to claim all tickets, etc on the application when you apply to a service. If you do not it would lead them to believe that you are not honest and that is a bad thing. Like jgmedic said earlier it wil depend on the insurance provider as to if you can drive or not. Now about the EMT-I class. Education is an ongoing thing in the EMS field. You should finish your EMT-B class first and then decide on your own.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Also, is it worth it for me to take EMT-I classes here in LA county? I've been told it's a waste of time, and that I should go straight to paramedic, but I'm not sure if I want to commit that much to something I'm not looking to do full-time. I wouldn't mind furthering my education if it were to get me a significant pay-raise.

Are you talking about EMT Intermediate????

There are now EMT Intermediates in Southern California, and only a (relative) handful in Northern California. If you were able to find the class, it won't get you anything.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Also, is it worth it for me to take EMT-I classes here in LA county?

Unless you're planning on moving to Imperial County, the central valley, or podunk NorCal, then EMT-Intermediate (California EMT-II) training would not be useful since they aren't used in the vast majority of the state.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I was in a similar situation when I first started. I had several 3 year old tickets (19 over, reckless driving, 15 over, 16 over, and failure to stop at a stop sign). The first place I applied said the insurance wouldn't let me drive until the charges dropped off (5 years here) and they didn't hire non-drivers. The second place I went to said they would hire me as a non-driver to start and once I finished with my FTO a supervisor would run me through an EVOC course, and ride with me driving for a week then the insurance company would clear me to drive. The thing that sucks about that is the company will hire flat out non-drivers as well so sometimes I got stuck JUST driving on a basic/basic truck.

RoadZOmbie

Forum Crew Member
I am kind of in the same spot as you. Not trying to hi-jack the thread but what school are you going to? I went to get my foot into EMT and work my way up to Paramedic and hopefully become a firefighter someday. What do I have to do to become an EMT?