Another American to Australia?

Afflixion

Forum Captain
There are a few bachelors programs in paramedicine in the U.S. I can only think of two off the top of my head right now one being Loma Linda University and one being Western Carolina University. There are not many that offer 4 year degrees, but numerous schools offer associates in paramedicine, just about every major community college offers a program.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, having read everyone's advice I've gone ahead and tossed a few applications off to universities.

I do have a question, though. What's different about Victoria? All the other universities had a pretty strict permanent residence/citizen requirement for the paramedic course, whereas in Victoria you can complete your clinical rotations with AV regardless.

What gives? :)

You must be on the Degree program to complete the clinical component with AV. Its not like you can just roll up and get on.

OP
OP
S

skippy54

Forum Probie
You must be on the Degree program to complete the clinical component with AV. Its not like you can just roll up and get on.

Yes, I know. I was wondering why other ambulance services don't have the same for international students. In Queensland, for example, you have to be a permanent resident/citizen to even set off on a paramedic degree.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, I know. I was wondering why other ambulance services don't have the same for international students. In Queensland, for example, you have to be a permanent resident/citizen to even set off on a paramedic degree.

And its the same for Victoria or really any Australian university. Check with the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs.

OP
OP
S

skippy54

Forum Probie
I just thought I'd drop in and let you guys know, I was accepted in to the bachelor of health science/master of paramedic practice at La Trobe. I'll be leaving shortly! :) :) :)

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I just thought I'd drop in and let you guys know, I was accepted in to the bachelor of health science/master of paramedic practice at La Trobe. I'll be leaving shortly! :) :) :)

Niiice. This year?

You'll have to let us know what its like.

MEDIC802

Forum Crew Member
It is appeareantly a mute point now but the University of South Alabama(USA) offers ad BS program in EMS.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
It is appeareantly a mute point now but the University of South Alabama(USA) offers ad BS program in EMS.

USA has already graduated one maybe two classes. Looks to be a strong program with great instructors. If I still lived in Mobile I'd be in it. I did basic and paramedic there '01-'03.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
I'd just like to chip in that a degree is not required for some services such as in Queensland where you do 2.5 years on the job training and finish with a diploma and same clinical level as degree graduates. Note this method is harder to get into with around 100 accepted last year state wide. Though you would probably need to be an Aus perm resident at least

Traveling_Medic

Forum Ride Along
bachelors in ems

For anyone interested you may also obtain a Bachelors from UT San Antonio via distance learning.

.. sorry I have to split up the link because I am not ye qualified to post a url.

uthscsa.
edu/shp/ehs/bachelor.asp

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
For anyone interested you may also obtain a Bachelors from UT San Antonio via distance learning.

.. sorry I have to split up the link because I am not ye qualified to post a url.

uthscsa.
edu/shp/ehs/bachelor.asp

I've been looking into this, are you a current student?

OP
OP
S

skippy54

Forum Probie
Hey guys, you had wanted to know what the new program at La Trobe was like, and while I haven't gone more than a month in to it I feel I can offer a little insight.

The whole curriculum is still being written. I'm in the 2nd class to ever do it, the first class probably has it a bit rougher as a result. From what I can tell, however, it's shaping up to be one hell of a program. The program coordinator is a paramedic herself, and the focus of this course vs other programs is expanded scopes of practice. I think they want to at least expose us to things more associated with MICA paramedics as opposed to just what you'd get from any other paramedic degree/diploma. We do a common first year with all the other health sciences (nurses, podiatrists, physios, etc) where we do all the foundational things like a&p, and there's a lot of emphasis on social work at least this semester. Then we have three more years focused on paramedic things afterwards. It's being designed with bringing more advanced level paramedics to rural areas in mind, I believe.

They really push us to get active with as many extracurricular groups as possible, too. All in all I feel like it's going to be a fantastic next four years!

Last edited by a moderator:

FloridaEMT

Forum Ride Along
My situation is almost the same as Skippy54 so there is some great advice on this thread for my situation. I have acouple more questions but I won't take over this thread to ask them.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
My situation is almost the same as Skippy54 so there is some great advice on this thread for my situation. I have acouple more questions but I won't take over this thread to ask them.

What can us down underererers help you with?

FloridaEMT

Forum Ride Along
I'm about to attend Paramedic classes here in Florida but my girlfriend just moved back to Melbourne. Looking into visa options I would be able to come into the country on a temporary to permanent visa due to her citizenship.

Would it be better for me to complete the year course here then move and try to get a job with minimal Medic experience? I've been an EMT for 6 years.

Or should I move to AUS and attend Uni for my Medic?

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
If either option is open equally to you, and the visa application is successful, I would suggest doing your course in Australia otherwise you run the risk of problems with reciprocity of US qualifications.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Ambulance Victoria only recruit graduates and are spoilt for choice when it comes to who to pick.

Come down to Australia and visit for a few months, you can get an electronic tourist visa for up to 90 days for AUD20 and the great Australian flag carrier Qantas can get you there in style.

Get your AU residency and go to Monash to get the BEmergHealth and you are set.

Despite an intense hatred of Australians by us Kiwi's and vice versa, AU is pretty awesome.

Several of our forum members are AV Paramedics