Animals

ruffems

Forum Probie
took care of a dog one night, smoke inhalation and burns over lower body. Vet came out to scene and euthanized the dog. 3rd degree burns over 40% of it's body. bad sad deal.

Capt.Hook

Forum Crew Member
At one of my first fires my partner & I pulled an older black lab from the house. She was barely awake, actually nipped at us as we carried her. EMS on scene gave blow-by and bought the pooch another couple days. I'd admit she wasn't in the greatest health prior to her eventual demise. Since then we have been coined the K9 Rescue Team.

Recently, at some airway training, we were discussing difficult intubations. Apparently dogs are fairly easy to tube by straightening the throat and moving the tongue. The trachea is visible and easily approached. Heresay, of course. I've never done it. I do feel if need be I wouldn't hesitate to give 'er a shot.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Recently, at some airway training, we were discussing difficult intubations. Apparently dogs are fairly easy to tube by straightening the throat and moving the tongue. The trachea is visible and easily approached. Heresay, of course. I've never done it. I do feel if need be I wouldn't hesitate to give 'er a shot.

I have never done a dog, but we did an intubation lab in medic class where we intubated kittens.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I have never done a dog, but we did an intubation lab in medic class where we intubated kittens.

There was a school in the area that did that until one of the students claimed PTSD from it and whined to PETA. So, they can't intubate a sedated and about to be put down cat, but they think they can handle EMS. Hmmmm.

Epi-do

I see dead people
All of our kittens were adopted out to homes. One of the girls I work with that was in the class before me adopted her kitten. She named it Ketamine.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief

Were the kittens sedated? Seems like they would wriggle around and all. Did you intubate them for a while and then they came back around?? Kittens heart rates are fast like babies.

P.S. what is in your dog's mouth? a chew bone?

Last edited by a moderator:

yogakat

Forum Probie
our local red cross offers an animal first aid course (cpr is part of it, too). i've taken it before and am taking it again next month. certainly can't hurt...

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
One of the medics I was riding with that day spent 5 years as a vet. assistant and was somehow able to start an IV on the dog.

vet techs are awesome, i've never seen them miss an iv on my dog before.