"And three is five, and five is four"...

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
And three is five and five is four and four is four...

There's another, typo-nazis.B)

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Yeah that bugs me two.

;)
Actually it sort fo injects an endearing note, like that cute little button the baby rattlers have, or the way cousin Festus sprays chaw when he gets excited about his latest meth yield?
Keeps you from feeling so "down" after such an attempted reaming.
I think we've pretty well covered "four". Someone start a stylistic thread??

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
Till is a preposition and is proper English.
;)

Till, as defined in the dictionary, is a process of turning over earth in preparation of planting crops. Also, it is used frequently in Canada to refer to the register at a store.

As used in the example; "we won't be there 'til 8 o'clock" the word 'til is a shortened form of the word Until. Since it is a contraction (that is, the shortened form of a whole word) it requires an apostrophe. Like the words don't, can't, and won't.

However, since is frequently spelled till by those who have attended college and are therefore much more educated than the rest of us, it has become an accepted spelling. I have only seen it spelled this way in the last few years. Of the many books I have read over the last 38 years, whenever 'til was used, it was spelled 'til.

Last edited by a moderator:

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
Till, as defined in the dictionary, is a process of turning over earth in preparation of planting crops. Also, it is used frequently in Canada to refer to the register at a store.

till
1  /tɪl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [til] Show IPA
Use till in a Sentence
See web results for till
See images of till
–preposition
1. up to the time of; until: to fight till death.

2. before (used in negative constructions): He did not come till today.
3. near or at a specified time: till evening.
4. Chiefly Midland, Southern, and Western U.S. before; to: It's ten till four on my watch.
5. Scot. and North England.
a. to.
b. unto.

Origin:
bef. 900; ME; OE (north) til < ON til to, akin to OE till station, G Ziel goal. See till 2

Usage note:
Till1 and until are both old in the language and are interchangeable as both prepositions and conjunctions: It rained till (or until) nearly midnight. The savannah remained brown and lifeless until (or till) the rains began. Till is not a shortened form of until and is not spelled 'till. 'Til is usually considered a spelling error, though widely used in advertising: Open 'til ten.

"Till" is a preposition. Didn't you learn all of your prepositions? :)

http://www.englishclub.com/grammar/prepositions-list.htm

I'm really just doing this more as humor now, no hard feelings. :)

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

"Till" is also the place a business keeps it's cash for the day.

ANd TILL if four and four is four.

Griff

Forum Crew Member

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
till 1 (tl)
tr.v. tilled, till·ing, tills
To prepare (land) for the raising of crops, as by plowing and harrowing; cultivate.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/till

Noun 1. till - unstratified soil deposited by a glacier; consists of sand and clay and gravel and boulders mixed together
boulder clay
dirt, soil - the part of the earth's surface consisting of humus and disintegrated rock
2. till - a treasury for government funds
public treasury, trough
exchequer, treasury - the funds of a government or institution or individual
3. till - a strongbox for holding cash
cashbox, money box
cash register, register - a cashbox with an adding machine to register transactions; used in shops to add up the bill
deedbox, strongbox - a strongly made box for holding money or valuables; can be locked
Verb 1. till - work land as by ploughing, harrowing, and manuring, in order to make it ready for cultivation; "till the soil"
farming, husbandry, agriculture - the practice of cultivating the land or raising stock
work on, work, process - shape, form, or improve a material; "work stone into tools"; "process iron"; "work the metal"
plow, plough, turn - to break and turn over earth especially with a plow; "Farmer Jones plowed his east field last week"; "turn the earth in the Spring"
hoe - dig with a hoe; "He is hoeing the flower beds"

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
till 1 (tl)
tr.v. tilled, till·ing, tills
To prepare (land) for the raising of crops, as by plowing and harrowing; cultivate.

Noun 1. till - unstratified soil deposited by a glacier; consists of sand and clay and gravel and boulders mixed together
boulder clay
dirt, soil - the part of the earth's surface consisting of humus and disintegrated rock
2. till - a treasury for government funds
public treasury, trough
exchequer, treasury - the funds of a government or institution or individual
3. till - a strongbox for holding cash
cashbox, money box
cash register, register - a cashbox with an adding machine to register transactions; used in shops to add up the bill
deedbox, strongbox - a strongly made box for holding money or valuables; can be locked
Verb 1. till - work land as by ploughing, harrowing, and manuring, in order to make it ready for cultivation; "till the soil"
farming, husbandry, agriculture - the practice of cultivating the land or raising stock
work on, work, process - shape, form, or improve a material; "work stone into tools"; "process iron"; "work the metal"
plow, plough, turn - to break and turn over earth especially with a plow; "Farmer Jones plowed his east field last week"; "turn the earth in the Spring"
hoe - dig with a hoe; "He is hoeing the flower beds"

From your URL

till 2 (tl)
prep.
Until.
conj.
Until.

Without any sort of a doubt, "till" is a preposition. "I worked from five till seven" is completely correct in usage. Are you still disputing that? Do you feel that a word can have only one definition?

http://www.hiway.co.uk/~ei/english/grammar9.html

9.14 Usage: By, until, till:

These prepositions describe a time limit for commencement/completion of an activity.

e.g. by Sunday until April 1995 till next week

By means not later than and can be used with all verb tenses.

Until/till explains how long an activity continues, will continue or has continued and can be used with all verb tenses.

N.B. Until/till have the same meaning: till is a short form of until.

http://www.englishlanguageguide.com/english/grammar/preposition.asp

Regardless of the fact that till also (as in, in addition to) does mean to work the earth, that's the verb form of the word. The preposition form "till" means "Until" and is a completely separate word, not an abbreviation or a contraction.

I think I've beat this horse dead enough.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Too. Much. Smug. In. Here.

Griff

Forum Crew Member
Too. Much. Smug. In. Here.

1002itsahybrid.jpg

Yeah, it's a hybrid. Thanks!

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

See?! See?! See?! See?!

And "SEE?!" is five and five is four and four is four.
People think I'm not serious. The guy in the gutter taught me about that.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

I'm gooing to go liten to Jethro Till

My spell-checker is called "Naprosyn", I think I'll go get some right now.

:blush: