Anatomy question

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I wonder why the blood brain barrier wasn't included in this list? Pure filter action right there.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
The fact you have had a physicians assistant answering this question is cringeworthy, it is like trying to hammer a nail into a piece of wood using artillery fire.

In future don't use internet forums to answer homework questions and save you actually learning WHY the answer is what it is- and that applies to any career field unless you know the person's credentials and experience personally that posts.

If you TRULY want to expand your knowledge then youtube 'renin angiotensin aldosterone system' and the likes.

Youtube Dr Najeeb for an amazing explanation of kidney function. So many things are regulated by the kidney it really is an amazing organ. Once you understand the physiology of the nephron it becomes clear how a lot of drugs that we encounter work and why we see the adverse reactions to them as well.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
Najeeb's stuff is good but always takes me 10minutes to get used to his accent again lol

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
In future don't use internet forums to answer homework questions and save you actually learning WHY the answer is what it is- and that applies to any career field unless you know the person's credentials and experience personally that posts.
I partially disagree with this.

Yes, be careful of the information you are told, whether the source is a member here, Wikipedia, or WebMD.
Use multiple sources to fact check the information.
If you post a question here, and three or four members have the same answer, you can pretty much bet the answer is correct. (Waits for someone to pick that reply apart. :p )

I will say this, and I'm currently drafting a thread related to this)...
It's all about how you post a question. And by you, I'm no singling out the OP.

Don't just post a question. Post the question, and tell us what you think the answer is and why. Or, show us that you've done some of the leg work yourself by giving us sources.

Discussion forums, especially ours, are a great resource to find the answers to questions. But as mentioned in the first response, don't expect us to do your homework for you.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
Personally I will single out the OP- majority of his posts are based on pure laziness rather then him doing any actual research himself. I'm just waiting for his next post to be 'who here can give me a job'.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Some of you guys are frigging [mean people]. He asked a question, hoping to get help, and you piled on with [cow excrement]. There was plenty of times in my A&P class where I was using Google and friends to help out. There were plenty of times, despite my EXTENSIVE A&P background where the question wasn't as simple as it seemed.

Last edited by a moderator:

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
No one said anything was your fault. But don't come here looking for us to do your homework for you. Historically we are very leery of that. If you want to discuss something or have a legit question we can be very helpful, but we can tell when you are just looking for the right answer.

It is a dumb question because each of those organs acts as "filter". The spleen is major component of the lymphatic system, "filtering" out various crud from not only lymphatics but old blood products as well. Probably the closest to a pure "filter" (if I was forced to choose). The kidney are, probably, on a day-today-basis, the most important "filter" in your body. Initially filtering out all kinds of crap and then selectively reabsorbing anything that maybe shouldn't be expelled from the body. Of the 3 I would say the liver fits the analogy the worst. The function of the liver is more about protein synthesis and metabolism of various biochemicals. Maybe it "filters" nutrient-soaked blood coming from the GI system, but it all it does is change things from one form to another and then releases it back into the blood stream. In that sense its more of a chemical factory than a fuel filter.

Also, remember that each of these organs have other functions as well.
If it is a dumb question, then the instructor is the one asking the dumb question, not the OP. I've had a lot of poorly worded questions in class that the instructor pulled from the test bank provided by the textbook. He admitted that the writer of the textbook was out in left field. And by the way, my instructor is an MD and PhD in Microbiology.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
Some of you guys are frigging a$$holes. He asked a question, hoping to get help, and you piled on with bull$hit. There was plenty of times in my A&P class where I was using Google and friends to help out. There were plenty of times, despite my EXTENSIVE A&P background where the question wasn't as simple as it seemed.
I respectfully disagree. The majority people who replied here were not attacking the OP, they were criticizing the homework question.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Some of you guys are frigging a$$holes. He asked a question, hoping to get help, and you piled on with bull$hit. There was plenty of times in my A&P class where I was using Google and friends to help out. There were plenty of times, despite my EXTENSIVE A&P background where the question wasn't as simple as it seemed.
In the OP it seemed as if zero effort was done to find the answer. If someone just asks a homework question and it seems like they have done zero work, they will get called out.