Anaphylaxis? Not quite

Fuzzysocks

Forum Ride Along
Got dispatched the other day for a 12 year old having an anaphylactic reaction.

We arrive on scene to see an extremely agitated mother and a seemingly fine 12 year old boy. Long story short, we come to find out one of the reasons mom's so agitated. She thought the epi-pen that had been prescribed to her son was for HER to take to calm her down when her son had an allergic reaction.

Turns out the kid wasnt even having a reaction, but we now had a new patient, mom who stuck herself with an epi-pen and was now agitated with a racing heart. Probably one of the funniest calls i've been on.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I have a related one.

The Israeli government handed out Atropens (atropine antidutes for organophosphate nerve agents) before Desert Stormm kicked off. First time the Tel Aviv air raid sirens went off....lotsa dry-mouthed anxious people going to emergency rooms that night!! And no nerve agent!

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
lol

Don't you just LOVE crazy people?!^_^

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I once heard:

"If you build a machine even an idiot could use, only an idiot will use it." :)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
So Fuzzy how was the kid taking all this??

Last edited by a moderator:

EMTCLM

Forum Crew Member
Kid thought it was hilarious...honestly i think he knew the epi-pen was for him and just wanted to see his mom jab a huge needle in her leg, haha

ahaha i seriously dont know who would think the epi pen was for whoever was nearby and nervous i literlly knew that in second grade. thats pretty great though

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
Haha, I just guffawed really loudly. Everyone in the lobby is staring at me now. Oh, my, to calm *her* down? That's a new one...:lol:

imurphy

Forum Captain
I once heard:

"If you build a machine even an idiot could use, only an idiot will use it." :)

Or.

"If something's idiot proof - An idiot will prove you wrong"

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
On a serious note, even an epi-pen jr is enough to endanger an adult with heart problems. Epinephrine is a serious drug.

mikie

Forum Lurker
On a serious note, even an epi-pen jr is enough to endanger an adult with heart problems. Epinephrine is a serious drug.

So what would happen to a healthy adult to administered an EpiPen?

What would the treatment be (even in hospital)?