An odd question about an odd scenario

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Absent a DNR, if someone presents to me an Advanced Health Care Directive... I'm calling base on it. If someone shows me they've got a Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare Decisions... and they ask that I not work the patient, I'll not work the patient. Then again, someone in Hospice who dies, probably won't have 911 called. Yes, it happens sometimes, but most of the time, the Hospice RN goes out... and determines death.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
As someone whose actual initials are DNR...I would work it.

(Got married, and told my new husband that no matter what I was not getting a tatoo of our initials.)

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Are you serious?

Why not?

Really isn't much different than a patient who is brought in with a handwritten directive, and certainly more clear than a family member who makes the patients will known.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
So if a terminal CA pt passed at home with just family present and a valid DNR, you would still work them? Everywhere I worked that would be asking for a lawsuit from family.

A terminal patient would be set up with HOSPICE here and there would be a nurse or doctor present. The forms would also be in order and notarized. If there was a question of validity we have med command at our disposal but for all respective purposes yes we would work them until documentation was straightened out. It's a bigger law suit to let them die if all forms are nit completed properly and someone really wants grandma around.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
A terminal patient would be set up with HOSPICE here and there would be a nurse or doctor present. The forms would also be in order and notarized. If there was a question of validity we have med command at our disposal but for all respective purposes yes we would work them until documentation was straightened out. It's a bigger law suit to let them die if all forms are nit completed properly and someone really wants grandma around.

Guess that shows differences in areas. Never had an MD or RN at a hospice patients place of residence when we get called (usually by a panicking family member who decides they aren't ready to let the relative go). As long as there's a valid DNR in place we just pack up and leave.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
That's why we won't work them without an RN or Md and all documentation in place. Panicked family members can sue for negligence leading to death if everything isn't proper. And there aren't too many hospice pts as a result. We may be called by a family without a nurse after all is said and done to confirm death but that's rare too and I've never seen it done. I'm just told it could happen. Obviously if I see lividity immot working any patient though.

amass7096

Forum Ride Along
I've searched all over JEMS but I can't seem to find that article. What issue/date is it from? I couldn't find it online either. Your post sparked my interest!

-Andrew