Amr?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Background:

Hello. This is my first post on this forum, although I have frequented the site and read many threads. I am located in NJ, a high school student, and part of a volunteer BLS ambulance squad. I am currently planning on becoming an EMT-B within a year, then advancing to EMT-P after college.

http://www.amr.net/

OP
OP
T

thatSPIKYflip

Forum Probie
Thanks, VentMedic. Sorry, I know its probably a naive question, but I had to ask. I've seen many posts about it, but none explaining what it is.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You don't have AMR in your area? Or ever heard of it?

Not everyone has AMR nearby. In fact it wasnt until I made a trip out of state and saw an AMR truck for the first time that it finally clicked what it was. I just hadn't asked like the OP did

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
kec, AMR is only in 38 states, and isn't 911 at all in many of those.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Yea it's messy here, but i wouldn't want to work anywhere else. Believe it or not! haha

So you have no desire to be part of a progressive system?

At the BLS level, this might be "good enough". However, I would hope one would want to remain an EMT-B forever unless you are a FF. As a Paramedic you should want to continue your education and work in a system where you the provider is respected and can make a difference.
Example: You shouldn't be in a system where the EKG machine interpretation is more valued than the person actually looking at the patient or can see the quality of the EKG strip. That is of course if you system even has 12-Lead EKG capability.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
There's a division of AMR in Brooklyn, and a division in Suffolk County. Last I've heard, AMR had one BLS and one ALS 911 unit in B'klyn. Everything else is IFT. One guy in my medic class told me that you can take your pay grade with you if you relocate but still work for the company. You could make 20+/hr as a medic and work somewhere that only pays medics 10/hr otherwise. I can't vouch for the validity of that, though.

Agent_J

Forum Ride Along
The school I'm going to in getting trained is going to visit the local AMR during one of our class meetings. I'm not sure if they are one of the places/companies that is an option to take one of my 12hr clinical obersvations with though.