Amr

daughertyemta

Forum Crew Member
I recently got hired at AMR in Indiana. Does anyone know what the physical agility test in indiana is like. I know it involves stairs and lifting. Ive worked on an ambulance for 4 years and have had my fair share of lifting but im a girl. Lol..so just wondering what to expect. I have to take it soon. Any help would be much appreciated!

emtfarva

Forum Captain
I work for AMR in Mass. When I did my PAT, it was a 3 min warm up, and carry a sled of weight to simulate a stairchair and stretcher. The weight starts small and increases. Also you had to go up and down 3 steps. It was ok.

OP
OP
D

daughertyemta

Forum Crew Member
thanks...just never had to take a physical test like this before so just curious to what I have to do. Maybe it will be a breeze!

emtfarva

Forum Captain
thanks...just never had to take a physical test like this before so just curious to what I have to do. Maybe it will be a breeze!
It wasn't that hard. Of course I smoke so the 3 min warmup wasn't fun, but I got thru it. If you have been in EMS for awhile you should have no problem. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
good..Ive never smoked lol..and Im only 23... but i don't workout everyday either.haha

i work for amr in texas and i didn't think it was hard at all. as long as you use proper lifting techniques and of course you can lift, you shouldn't have any problem. good luck and let us know how you do!!!

edit: we had a girl who only had 1 hand and she could do it and she was really short too.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
3 minutes of a step test to get a benchmark, then you lift a weighted scoop from the floor to 12 inches, then 12 inches to 36, then back down to 12, then back to the floor.

You then get a VERY weighted end of a stretcher and walk up and down 3 stairs multiple times.

It's the hardest thing I've ever done!

You scared yet? It's not really hard, just annoying. As long as you can do more then 5 pushups, you can do the test.

i work for amr in texas and i didn't think it was hard at all. as long as you use proper lifting techniques and of course you can lift, you shouldn't have any problem. good luck and let us know how you do!!!

edit: we had a girl who only had 1 hand and she could do it and she was really short too.

You work for Dallas operations? Have we met?

emtfarva

Forum Captain
I forgot about lifting a simulated stretcher to the different heights. That was easy for me. I don't think you will have a problem. Good luck, and as Amber said, let us know how you did and what you thought. On a side note, good luck with NR medic test. I am sure you will do fine.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Anytime you are hired for a position that requires a PAT you should get a breakdown of what is required. When I was applying for jobs a couple of months ago every place I applied to required a PAT, and the details were included in the application packet before you were ever hired.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Might search AMR on here for other discussions as well.

OP
OP
D

daughertyemta

Forum Crew Member
well it didn't have a description. Nor does my offer letter or any formal paperwork I have recieved from there. I will check out other postings of amr

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
well it didn't have a description. Nor does my offer letter or any formal paperwork I have recieved from there. I will check out other postings of amr

i'm not sure about other amr locations, but at least in dallas when you go do the test, the first thing they make you do is watch a video and the guy that gave me the test demonstrated everything for me first.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
i'm not sure about other amr locations, but at least in dallas when you go do the test, the first thing they make you do is watch a video and the guy that gave me the test demonstrated everything for me first.

And boy was that video boring.

"Lift with your legs, it protects you!"

It was funny though, because he went to take my PR, and I'm brady at 52, and the look on his face was priceless.