AMR Oregon?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Hey, I have a question: what presence does AMR have in Oregon, if any? What do they pay up there?

nwhitney

Forum Captain
Hey, I have a question: what presence does AMR have in Oregon, if any? What do they pay up there?

I'm an AMR medic in Oregon. We have an operation in Josephine County (Southern Oregon), Clackamas County, and Multnomah County. Clackamas and Multnomah counties are right by each other and medics often work both counties. I work in Multnomah County which includes Portland. New medics start at $51k and this is for both Clackamas and Multnomah Counties. You can email me if you have any more questions, nwhitney2003@gmail.com

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

That's pretty sweet. What do experienced critical care medics tend to make?

nwhitney

Forum Captain
That's pretty sweet. What do experienced critical care medics tend to make?

Not sure but that $51k was for a new medic. I think people coming in with experience start at a higher rate. Most shifts are 12 hours and 4 on 4 off.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
What are your guys' relationships with fire like? Do you share ALS duties, or are you more or less "gurney pushing" while they handle patient care?

Also, what's the average turnaround like within these operations? The PNW sure is pretty.

nwhitney

Forum Captain
What are your guys' relationships with fire like? Do you share ALS duties, or are you more or less "gurney pushing" while they handle patient care?

Also, what's the average turnaround like within these operations? The PNW sure is pretty.

I think overall we have a great relationship with fire. One fire agency doesn't seem to want to do much medicine so it's all us. Another is very team oriented. Obviously there's always exceptions. For the most part fire defers to us for medical.

AMR in Multnomah doesn't seem to have as a big of a turnaround like nearby Washington County where I used to work. We have the FEMA contract so you can get a change of pace and be deployed to wild fires and hurricanes. We currently don't have anyone out for hurricanes since we have a lot out for the fires. We have a contract with the Portland Timbers which is fun especially if you're a MLS fan. We are union so that helps compared to another local agency.

nwhitney

Forum Captain
How are things in AMR Oregon for us basics?

Clackamas County runs a medic and an EMT. Multnomah County is duel medic. Not sure about Josephine County. We also have SSD which is staffed with EMT's. I don't know what the pay is for EMT's but I could find out.

elshion

Forum Probie
Is it like here in Los Angeles where there are so many basics they're disposable? Like, if you break one, just throw it in the dumpster out back and grab a new one out of the supply cage?

nwhitney

Forum Captain
Is it like here in Los Angeles where there are so many basics they're disposable? Like, if you break one, just throw it in the dumpster out back and grab a new one out of the supply cage?

Ha! I don't think so. In fact I think they're hiring EMT's. The SSD division is understaffed. I don't know what management is like in SSD but for the 911 side for both counties I'd say they are pretty good and won't just fire people for BS reasons. Obviously it's not all rainbows and unicorns but it's pretty damn good I think.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

SSD is a necessary cog in the wheel.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Oh, not really right now. In school and stuff. But wouldn't necessarily mind it.

Freddy

Forum Ride Along
I actually am thinking about coming to Oregon, I visited for a week and felt comfortable there. As far as traffic and roads go, it's rather similar to Los Angeles city and other metro SoCal cities. Will be visiting again and requesting a transfer to AMR Clackamas if all goes well.

I have a couple of questions: do they offer pay incentives for native Spanish speakers? Spanish was my first but I've lived in America just about all my life.
Second, what is the starting pay for EMTs there? I'd be willing to go through medic school in Oregon. Thanks for your time.

nwhitney

Forum Captain
I actually am thinking about coming to Oregon, I visited for a week and felt comfortable there. As far as traffic and roads go, it's rather similar to Los Angeles city and other metro SoCal cities. Will be visiting again and requesting a transfer to AMR Clackamas if all goes well.

I have a couple of questions: do they offer pay incentives for native Spanish speakers? Spanish was my first but I've lived in America just about all my life.
Second, what is the starting pay for EMTs there? I'd be willing to go through medic school in Oregon. Thanks for your time.

I don’t think there’s any pay incentive for speaking a second language. AMR wheelchair EMT’s start at $29k and 911 EMT’s start at $34k. Once you get your medic then you move over to Multnomah County. Let me know if you have any other questions.