AMR Irwindale interview

Danno

Forum Lieutenant
I have an interview next Tuesday with amr, was hoping someone could fill me in on the skills and oral portions?

Thanks in advance

Hey bud, I was just wondering how long ago you applied, when you took the test, and how long they took to call back.

OP
OP
D

Danno

Forum Lieutenant
I applied mid march, they had me come in to take the w written on march 23. I called them the following week, and they said they werent hiring. Then yesterday they called me asking me to come in for an interview. So from app to interview less than a month.

OP
OP
D

Danno

Forum Lieutenant
Or, if anyone can just answer outright, I'm curious as to which cities in LAcO/OcO AMR currently runs 911 in. (I was told AMR is losing many contracts)

911 only in Lancaster and Palmdale. Irwindale is IFT only. Schaefer runs 911 throughout that area.

Lancaster and Palmdale are LA county.

Americare-Santa Monica
Gerber-Torrance
Mccormick-Compton/Lynwood
Bowers-Vernon
Schaefer-Most of San Gabriel Valley
Amr- Antelope Valley(Lancaster/Palmdale)

That's how LA county private 911 is set up as far as I know. If anyone has more details on this list, please feel free to fill us in.

You want to run 911 with AMR? Rancho cucamonga isn't very far from Irwindale.

OP
OP
D

Danno

Forum Lieutenant
True. Irwindale is already 50 mi from me though, rancho is ~70 mi. I'll see I suppose.

Gurney Jockey

Forum Probie
Actually Addrobo87, you're a teensy bit wrong. Irwindale still runs 911. Granted Schaefer got a large portion of the San Gabriel Valley. We still run in unicorporated Arcadia/Pasadena, Temple City, Rosemead, South San Gabriel, El Monte (Garvey girls whooo!), South El Monte, Baldwin Park, La Puente, Hacienda Heights, Rowland Heights, La Habra Heights, City of Industry, Walnut, Diamond Bar, and unincorporated parts of Covina, off the 10/Grand. And we're mainly 80% 911 and 20% IFT.
I'll post a link of the county EOA map when I get a few more posts. Promise!
Would you like to know more?

Right on Gurney! Thanks for the clarification. All I've heard so far has been hearsay regarding Irwindale. I'm actually going in to test for Irwindale in a few weeks. I applied in October and got an E-mail in March to come in for testing. I start medic school next month as well. Any additional info regarding Irwindale would be appreciated by Danno and I.

Gurney Jockey

Forum Probie
Hmmm testing. Our main test is a multiple choice incredibly similar to the National Registry. If you passed the registry, this should be cake. We also started doing skills tests again. I think they consist of airway stuff like opa's, npa's, bvm's, o2. There should be a trauma asessment and medical assessment station as well. When I go back to work I can find out exactly. And I don't know if the interview is a panel, or 1 on 1. I'll investigate.
During orientation, I think they still have you travel to our AV, and Santa Clarita stations. EVOC still takes place in AV. It's a 2 day deal. First day is all classroom, second day is out behind the wheel. Bring sunscreen haha.
Field training takes about 2-3 weeks, depending on how well you do. After that, I believe we still have a 6 month probationary period.
As for our ops, with the exception of about 5 or 6 12 hr cars, we're all on 24s. We have the same schedule as county fire. We've got stations throughout our area, all of them are pretty well amended. We have station tones, so when you get a call in station, a tone goes off, like at a fire station. No poles though, sorry lol.
Posting is still fairly common, but you're allowed to hang out in other crews stations, unlike at some other companies.
Most of our transfers are from Hollywood Pres, PIH, and UCLA Santa Monica. We used to run more transfers in the SGV, but other companies are resorting to...less than legal ways of procuring transports. If there's anything specific, just ask. I'm just skimming the surface

OP
OP
D

Danno

Forum Lieutenant
Actually Addrobo87, you're a teensy bit wrong. Irwindale still runs 911. Granted Schaefer got a large portion of the San Gabriel Valley. We still run in unicorporated Arcadia/Pasadena, Temple City, Rosemead, South San Gabriel, El Monte (Garvey girls whooo!), South El Monte, Baldwin Park, La Puente, Hacienda Heights, Rowland Heights, La Habra Heights, City of Industry, Walnut, Diamond Bar, and unincorporated parts of Covina, off the 10/Grand. And we're mainly 80% 911 and 20% IFT.
I'll post a link of the county EOA map when I get a few more posts. Promise!
Would you like to know more?

LOL yeah i just got home from the interview, when i asked him what cities run 911, he read that list back to me verbatim. Good to know.

And excuse my ignorance, what does it mean if you run 911 unincorporated?

Gurney Jockey

Forum Probie
Cool beans! How did the interview go? And do you remember who interviewed you?
Someone once explained to me how unincorporated cities work, but I have a hard time re-explaining it :wacko: East Pasadena is an example of an unincorporated city. If you ask the residents there where they live, they'll probably say Pasadena. But in East Pasadena, most if not all of the public services are provided by the county. If you google East Pasadena, there's a wikipedia article that should have a better explanation than me. Sorry I couldn't be help more with that.

OP
OP
D

Danno

Forum Lieutenant
It went well I think. I interviewed with Brandon Greene and Andy Trujillo. Everyone there is super cool so im hopeful for the position.

That makes perfect sense actually, especially in the original context you wrote. At first i thought it had something to do with the way you interact with fire though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gurney Jockey

Forum Probie
Good to hear. Brandon and Andy are both really cool. Andy interviewed me when I first started. I've never had a problem with management. And as long as you don't go out of your way to get in trouble, you'll be fine.
Huzzah! I made sense! And yea, we all interact with fire the same. They're special snowflakes haha.

And here's the map of the county EOA zones
http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov/GIS/Maps/Ambulance061907a.pdf

OP
OP
D

Danno

Forum Lieutenant
Good to hear. Brandon and Andy are both really cool. Andy interviewed me when I first started. I've never had a problem with management. And as long as you don't go out of your way to get in trouble, you'll be fine.
Huzzah! I made sense! And yea, we all interact with fire the same. They're special snowflakes haha.

And here's the map of the county EOA zones
http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov/GIS/Maps/Ambulance061907a.pdf

Nice! This is handy