AMR - first responder?

Trickimaster

Forum Probie
I just had an interview with AMR, went well they said I scored well on the test and the interview seemed pretty amiable...just wondering about something. They said as an inexperienced EMT-B just out of school they'd start me off (pending I get an offer - should hear back next week!) as a first responder. Now, I am grateful for anything I get offered as the job market is so rough and I would jump on the chance with a great big smile and great attitude. I just wasn't aware they "bumped down" new EMT's and was wondering if this is standard procedure in other areas?
Thanks! Hope everyone is having a great day! :)

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I've never heard of an FR for AMR?

OP
OP
T

Trickimaster

Forum Probie
By division do you mean city? It's Tampa, and yeah, I've never heard of an AMR first responder either. Got to prove myself first I guess, but hey a foot in the door is a foot in the door. I'll happily accept if they offer. ^_^

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Oddly, I have heard of this before, but from an online friend so I took it with a grain of salt (pretty much thought he was lying to me). We have known each other online for about a decade though. I still think he was lying especially since he said AMR San Francisco, and I don't think anywhere in California do we recognize the First Responder level.

TB 3541

Forum Lieutenant
Oddly, I have heard of this before, but from an online friend so I took it with a grain of salt (pretty much thought he was lying to me). We have known each other online for about a decade though. I still think he was lying especially since he said AMR San Francisco, and I don't think anywhere in California do we recognize the First Responder level.

As far as I can determine, you are correct. First Responder is not recognized in California. Link

OP
OP
T

Trickimaster

Forum Probie
Odd that they do that in Florida. Kind of disappointed a lot of my training will be "on hold" until they upgrade me - especially since the job I applied for was EMT-B. Seems like a strange practice, but looking forward to taking paramedic school soon. That should keep me up to snuff while I learn new things too, so not so bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
We kind of do and kind of don't. There is no EMR license level currently, but it's being developed. However there is a first responder training standard that is used mostly by non-medical responders such as police officers and park rangers. The current goal is to move the training standard to an actual EMR level that is governed through statute, like the other EMS levels, be state licensed, and controled through the LEMSAs, like the other levels.

http://www.emsa.ca.gov/Newsletter/2012/04-April/April-12.asp#Backer