AMR CCT Paramedic

BayEMTmaybeP

Forum Crew Member
Anyone know much about this? I’ve seen it posted on AMRs site for quite some time for a CCT Paramedic in San Leandro CA. It states full time can make 94,000-116,000. Anyone have experience with this or know what it entails?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Try it out. Let us know.

(But it sounds like BS)

wfw65

Forum Ride Along
"...can make..."
Good luck with that.

And spend how much on housing?...
(It's a rhetorical question. I have family in Lompoc.)

Obviously Santa Barbara city itself is expensive but the surrounding areas are relatively affordable.

Orcutt, Santa Maria, Nipomo, Los Alamos, Oceano, Lompoc, etc have decent housing prices.

$5k sign on bonus plus $5k relocation bonus

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Obviously Santa Barbara city itself is expensive but the surrounding areas are relatively affordable.

Orcutt, Santa Maria, Nipomo, Los Alamos, Oceano, Lompoc, etc have decent housing prices.

$5k sign on bonus plus $5k relocation bonus
I guess it's all perspective, but I don't consider even Lompoc or Santa Maria affordable anymore. $400k for a 3br 2ba in those towns with exploding crime is insane.

The perspective I speak of is me moving from the California coast to the mid west.

I guess it's all perspective, but I don't consider even Lompoc or Santa Maria affordable anymore. $400k for a 3br 2ba in those towns with exploding crime is insane.

The perspective I speak of is me moving from the California coast to the mid west.

Exploding crime?

Yeah idk about that. This is coming from someone who moved from the IE. We are nowhere near those levels.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Exploding crime?

Yeah idk about that. This is coming from someone who moved from the IE. We are nowhere near those levels.
Crime has gone up significantly there. While it's not on the scale of the IE, it's no where near what it used to be.

Crime has gone up significantly there. While it's not on the scale of the IE, it's no where near what it used to be.

It's still extremely safer than most parts of California, along with many of the other perks.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
It's still extremely safer than most parts of California, along with many of the other perks.
I won't argue any of that. I do miss some parts of California, like the Sierras and my hometown, Ventura.

But cost of living compared to EMS pay... It's much more comfortable elsewhere. My wife is also in EMS and we couldn't find anywhere we wanted to live in California that we could afford on a dual EMS income.

We were looking at Ventura, San Luis, etc... Pay just isn't good enough. I had considered Santa Barbara but it takes an act of Congress to get hired there if you aren't in AMR already, it seems.

I won't argue any of that. I do miss some parts of California, like the Sierras and my hometown, Ventura.

But cost of living compared to EMS pay... It's much more comfortable elsewhere. My wife is also in EMS and we couldn't find anywhere we wanted to live in California that we could afford on a dual EMS income.

We were looking at Ventura, San Luis, etc... Pay just isn't good enough. I had considered Santa Barbara but it takes an act of Congress to get hired there if you aren't in AMR already, it seems.

I hear you. It used to be like that in Santa Barbara but now we are down about 12 medic spots so they are for sure hiring. Not very many people are applying though.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I certainly couldn’t afford to move, ended up in Northeast Texas.

IIRC, “CCT Paramedic” in CA means IFT champion, with a nurse for adult supervision, yes?

I certainly couldn’t afford to move, ended up in Northeast Texas.

IIRC, “CCT Paramedic” in CA means IFT champion, with a nurse for adult supervision, yes?

No, not in this division. They are standalone CCT medics with a pretty decent scope.

In other divisions, a regular Paramedic will sometimes be staffed alongside a nurse on a CCT unit.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
No, not in this division. They are standalone CCT medics with a pretty decent scope.

In other divisions, a regular Paramedic will sometimes be staffed alongside a nurse on a CCT unit.

Such as(scope)?

A few years back, I worked with a Medic who had transplanted to the east coast from illinois. I dont recall every detail, but he explained to me that, in Illinois, “paramedics” had a scope almost inline with the I99 standard(medicationwise) and that any real transfer work was done by “CCT” medics. Any vent job, anything requiring a pump, chest tube, really anything beyond tko saline and a eyeball on the squiggly line was outside their scope. Here in MA, we save our like 10 CCT medics for the Impella calls, or the vented, triple pressor calls, ECMO etc.

That was the day I stopped caring about titles and post nomials. Show me the protocols and I might be impressed.

Good for them. However, why are they not generating paramedic applicants?
If "six figures" is so impressive?

You got me. It's one of those divisions nobody ever really considers because you don't hear about them a whole lot.