Amiodarone

podmedic@mac.com

Forum Crew Member
I'm do a regular feature in my podcast on a particular med each week. Last week I covered Lidocaine and this week I plan on covering Amiodarone.

I am a Maryland Paramedic and we don't use Amiodarone here.:sad:

Does anyone have any comments on their viewed effectiveness, anecdotes, etc. that I might share in this week's podcast? I would like to be able to quote you directly to give credit where credit is due but don't have to if you don't want.B)

Thanks for the help!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Personally I have not seen any change in v-fib, tach etc... but, it appears to be a good anti -arrythmic, which it has been used for several years. More expensive than lido as well....

R/R 911

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
:unsure: What's a podcast?

OP
OP
podmedic@mac.com

podmedic@mac.com

Forum Crew Member
re: What's a Podcast?

TTLWHKR said:
:unsure: What's a podcast?

:) A podcast is a pre-recorded program either audio or video available for download on the internet. They're called podcasts because a lot of people download them and listen to them on their mp3 players. However, you can listen to them on your computer as well with what ever music software you have loaded (windows media player, iTunes, etc.)

I produce 2 different shows: One is a 1/2 hour to 45 minute audio show about EMS issues, news, meds and tips/tricks of the trade. It's called the MedicCast.

You can view my blog and listen to the shows here.

The second is a bi-weekly 5 minute news update that supplements the other show midweek. It's called the MedicCast News and can be found on the Podcaster News Network
B)
---------------

To get an idea about the variety of the podcasts produced out there check out Podcast Alley

Black Snow Slide

Forum Ride Along
We cary Amiodarone, It works great in converting V-Fib into Assystole. Not kidding. I have used it maybe 20 times and has never worked for anything. Its also a pain in the but because of the slowness of the push. Also if it is used befor Lido then you are screwed if it doesnt work because you cant mix your anti-arithmics. Lido,s half life is about 7-10 minutes, after that you can switch anti- arrithmic drugs. Start with Ami and you will end with it. A nurse that I work with says it works well in hospital settings before a code but not well during. My.02 cents worth.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
podmedic@mac.com said:
I'm do a regular feature in my podcast on a particular med each week.

Cool! What title should I search for?

Oops, I saw "MedicCast" in one of the other posts - I'm going to go sign up right now.

maksim

Forum Probie
Black Snow Slide said:
We cary Amiodarone, It works great in converting V-Fib into Assystole. Not kidding. I have used it maybe 20 times and has never worked for anything. Its also a pain in the but because of the slowness of the push. Also if it is used befor Lido then you are screwed if it doesnt work because you cant mix your anti-arithmics. Lido,s half life is about 7-10 minutes, after that you can switch anti- arrithmic drugs. Start with Ami and you will end with it. A nurse that I work with says it works well in hospital settings before a code but not well during. My.02 cents worth.

It completely agree.
This hospital medicine. Amiodarone it is good for course application also.
We received effect in 2-3 hours after i/v injections. It too slowly.
It is necessary to enter Panangin (kalii-magnii asparaginatis) preliminary.
Drop infusion amiodarone is preferable. It is inconvenient also.
We use Novokainamyde or Isoptin.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
There has been no significant findings in using Amiodarone versus Lidocaine except the cost which is about 200 times of Lidocaine as well as the pain in the arse using it.
Again, pre-hospital versus in-hospital use would be the same. Amiodarone is an "old antiarrythmic" that has been used for several years in the non-emergency setting. It does appear to have better results (minimal) of decreasing venticular irritabilty and arrythmias. No change was reallly noted in V-fib settings...

Controversy, has been on-going after findings that the Cordorone/Amiodrone studies was dunded by the manufacture. This is till a hot topic against the Emergency Cardiac Committee, and they still deny of knowledge of such or pretenses...
R/r 911