American Medical Response

DEurich

Forum Probie
What do you guys know about AMR?
Are they a good company to work for?
I've read some okay things about them and some not so good things about them. I'm a new EMT-B and I need experience. Would this be a good place to get experience from?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Completely varies area to area. We'd have to know what operation you're talking about to give you any valid information. AMR is huge and runs everything, including BLS IFT, CCT, and ALS 911 depending on what operation you're talking about. Pay, protocols, equipment, and management all vary as well.

All in all, the overall reputation is pretty good as far as privates go. Your paychecks won't bounce, the company won't fold beneath you, and they won't do anything shady to jeopardize your career. Beggars can't be choosers, and if you're new and hoping to get experience, I'd certainly consider AMR. Good luck!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Yep. It goes from good management and morale, to crappy morale and management and everything in between

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
AMR's MO is to buy up local operations, give everyone new uniforms (including middle management), buy new rigs, and quietly collect a bit off the top as long as the operation is profitable. not a lot of corporate BS. That being said, one operation might be a tight-run ship with good staffing, happy employees, strong union, and supplies...while another might be a real poop-show where you get treated like a warm body with an EMT card. Some have 911/IFT, some are strictly IFT. Do your homework locallly.

BUT: AMR is a giant corporation with all the benefits that come along with it. Generally on the higher end of local pay scales, 401-k, benefits, ability to transfer (nationwide), and also they have a FEMA contract and probably local disaster coverage contracts.

As a new EMT I would take any* job I could, and AMR would probly be a good one.

*within reason

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
What everyone else said. Some places are really good while others are not.

With AMR you can transfer to other areas if you decide to move or don't like your division. 401K, benefits, depends on your area pay can be better than other ambulance companies.

FEMA contract for disasters and other major events. Pay when deployed is extremely good.

CURMUDGEON

Forum Probie
What do you guys know about AMR?
Are they a good company to work for?
I've read some okay things about them and some not so good things about them. I'm a new EMT-B and I need experience. Would this be a good place to get experience from?

Good, professional way to start. Good luck!

nibejeebies

Oldie but Goodie. Still Young Though!
I worked for two years with AMR, and I can honestly say it was the best EMS employer I have worked for. I was sad to see them go, we were truly a family type of unit.
I have worked since with other former AMR'ers that worked in different locations and states that said pretty much the same thing.

One thing to keep in mind however that no matter what service big or small its all really going to depend on the local management for that division. I wish you the best and good luck!

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Excellent company to work with