Ambulance Driver's License (ADL)

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
i just get so p.o.'d because people say "oh, there goes the ambulance driver!" that really gets me torqued because it does not come anyways near describing everything that responders do or all that they put up with. i have ranted and raved on that theory for the past 2 years and have found more truth to it everyday. and, in response to your question, if someone asked me if i had oxygen in the truck (we refer to it as a bus where i'm from) i would gladly show it to them and give them a full speech and demonstration of its proper use and application (this would take forever, because i'm a really good public speaker) but they would now know that i have oxygen in my bus. however, if they were blue and passing out, i would skip the demonstration and get consent to begin BVM ventilation or call for an ALS unit to get an airway inserted.

this thread was about how an EMT or Medic in CA can get the required cert (in addition to medical certs) to drive the rig. How you can send this thread down the "I am not an ambulance driver" route is beyond me. If you have ever driven a rig... then yes, you are ALSO an ambulance driver. How do you think we get those shinny trucks to the scene?

rmellish

Forum Captain
i just get so p.o.'d because people say "oh, there goes the ambulance driver!" that really gets me torqued because it does not come anyways near describing everything that responders do or all that they put up with. i have ranted and raved on that theory for the past 2 years and have found more truth to it everyday. and, in response to your question, if someone asked me if i had oxygen in the truck (we refer to it as a bus where i'm from) i would gladly show it to them and give them a full speech and demonstration of its proper use and application (this would take forever, because i'm a really good public speaker) but they would now know that i have oxygen in my bus. however, if they were blue and passing out, i would skip the demonstration and get consent to begin BVM ventilation or call for an ALS unit to get an airway inserted.

We call it an ambulance where I'm from.

Question, if ambulance driver is such an insult, why would you call your ambulance a bus? Ambulance drivers and paramedics have different job descriptions. They're similar though. Buses and ambulances both carry people, but isn't one more specialized than the other?

Just wondering, since you seem to be quite bent out of shape about it.

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant

According to your profile you have been doing this since you were 13?

MedicObserver

Forum Probie
Lighten Up...We are Ambulance Drivers...or do prefer the term cab driver.

or cabulance driver?

Do you get upset when people ask if have oxygen on your truck, too?
I know personally my rigs have a lot of oxygen on board...all the air inside the truck is full of O2...and that is usually good enuff...
Besides, you list your training as "Lay Rescuer", so how is that not insulting to a paramedic, who has gone thru all that training to become a medic
Hell, I've been a paramedic for a while now and still call myself an ambulance driver.

so tell me what do you think of this joke:
Q:what is the difference between god and a paramedic?
A:god doesn't think he is a paramedic.

I love that joke...it is lame and old and well, dumb...but still funny...
WHOA!!! FOR ONE THING, I HAVE THE GREATEST RESPECT IN THE WORLD FOR ANYONE IN EMS, WHETHER THEY BE THE PARAMEDIC THAT KEEPS THE BLOOD FROM GUSHING OUT OF SOMEONE'S BODY OR THE POOR GUY THAT SCRUBS THAT BLOOD FROM THE FLOOR OF THE UNIT AFTER THE RUN! SECONDLY, I AM ONLY A LAY RESCUER DUE TO THE AGE FACTOR. I AM WAITING UNTIL I TURN 16 SO I CAN GET MY FIRST RESPONDER CERT. Why is it that everyone always wants to criticize the younger people in the field due to the stereotype that they are stupid and do not know anything? I mean, how many 15 year olds do you think could describe the procedure for inserting and oropharyngeal airway (OPA) ? Pull 10 teenagers off of the street, and maybe 1 of them will be able to tell you how long you should suction a patient. Even easier, ask those 10 people what ALS stands for and see how many correct answers you get. So if you think that I'm just an average high schooler with a responder's jacket, think again. I have worked my (well, let's keep it clean here) off to get as far as I have in EMS. While everyone else my age is laying around getting high and burning up their brains I'm out on the streets helping Paramedics pick trauma patients up off the ground and keep their heart beating so that they can live to see another day. And no, I don't think that I deserve some kind of award or special treatment- I do it because that is what I love to do and it is my way of serving my fellow citizens in the name of the Lord. So please, don't make judgments about me just because of my age. I really do know how things work.

MedicObserver

Forum Probie
According to your profile you have been doing this since you were 13?
Yes, I have been involved in EMS since I was 13. My very first experience was when my assistant football coach got his NREMT-P certification and invited us all down to the Paramedic bay to see the new buses we had just gotten. I always looked up to him; he was almost like another brother. I then started investigating it as a career when we had careers class in school. Once I got as far as my first interview with a Paramedic I was hooked like a catfish on stinkbait!! I wish other young people would get involved; we need more good minds and helping hands in the field.

MedicObserver

Forum Probie
We call it an ambulance where I'm from.

Question, if ambulance driver is such an insult, why would you call your ambulance a bus? Ambulance drivers and paramedics have different job descriptions. They're similar though. Buses and ambulances both carry people, but isn't one more specialized than the other?

Just wondering, since you seem to be quite bent out of shape about it.
It's just slang we use on the radio. It's easier to say "bus" than it is "ambulance" Idk who started it, but it was around before I got involved with EMS. I thought it was weird too but I figured that the ParaGods had been around for awhile and that they knew what they were talking about.

MedicObserver

Forum Probie
this thread was about how an EMT or Medic in CA can get the required cert (in addition to medical certs) to drive the rig. How you can send this thread down the "I am not an ambulance driver" route is beyond me. If you have ever driven a rig... then yes, you are ALSO an ambulance driver. How do you think we get those shinny trucks to the scene?
By the way I have driven a rig. It was like a week after I got my learner's permit for Driver's ED. I got to drive a Type I TraumaHawk (I love that word; it just sounds like a rock song or something) down to the car-wash and scrub it from top to bottom. Then I got to drive the RapidResponse Tahoe because I was with an EMT-B and we were the only unit free to handle it. He handled the patient in the back while I drove to the ER. (Chill, people, I had already learned how to run the radio and lights and such long before that and I knew the legalities of the situation as well. Plus, we got there without any issue and nothing was said to the contrary about my driving.) Like I said, I AM NOT YOUR AVERAGE TEENAGER!!

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
WHOA!!! FOR ONE THING, I HAVE THE GREATEST RESPECT IN THE WORLD FOR ANYONE IN EMS, WHETHER THEY BE THE PARAMEDIC THAT KEEPS THE BLOOD FROM GUSHING OUT OF SOMEONE'S BODY OR THE POOR GUY THAT SCRUBS THAT BLOOD FROM THE FLOOR OF THE UNIT AFTER THE RUN! SECONDLY, I AM ONLY A LAY RESCUER DUE TO THE AGE FACTOR. I AM WAITING UNTIL I TURN 16 SO I CAN GET MY FIRST RESPONDER CERT. Why is it that everyone always wants to criticize the younger people in the field due to the stereotype that they are stupid and do not know anything? I mean, how many 15 year olds do you think could describe the procedure for inserting and oropharyngeal airway (OPA) ? Pull 10 teenagers off of the street, and maybe 1 of them will be able to tell you how long you should suction a patient. Even easier, ask those 10 people what ALS stands for and see how many correct answers you get. So if you think that I'm just an average high schooler with a responder's jacket, think again. I have worked my (well, let's keep it clean here) off to get as far as I have in EMS. While everyone else my age is laying around getting high and burning up their brains I'm out on the streets helping Paramedics pick trauma patients up off the ground and keep their heart beating so that they can live to see another day. And no, I don't think that I deserve some kind of award or special treatment- I do it because that is what I love to do and it is my way of serving my fellow citizens in the name of the Lord. So please, don't make judgments about me just because of my age. I really do know how things work.

First things first: CALM DOWN. You speak of respect for EMSers and that you are mature. So far there is nothing here to indicate that.

Let's get a couple of things straight. First, I applaud your choice in careers. good luck. But, you are 15 and trying to school profesional adult EMSers on EMS? ha ha. Procedure for OPAs? I could teach my 10 y/o nephew the procedure. I do not care how old you are or what your views are, but when you start that superiority garbage... than I have problems with anyone that wants to be in a thankless job like EMS and already has a "para-god" mindset. But, no, obviously you do not really know how things work. At 15, and being just an observer for a single agency in a certain area... you are not some expert on how things work in the real world of EMS. This is evidenced by your ranting toward EMSers with a combined 1,000 plus years actually working EMS (not observing). If you are going to be in EMS for any length of time, get one thing straight... you know nothing and are insignificate in the grand picture (not you personally, but all of us!)

On topic: Kid, yes some think that we are all just "ambulance drivers". For the record, in some areas they are just ambulance drivers... they only drive. As far as Medics and EMTs being called ambulance drivers... that stems from a lack of education in the public on what we are really all about. Live with it and help educate the public on what EMS is, don't presume to lecture anyone on this subject... especially people on an EMS forum. But, yes, part of what we do is drive. So we are also ambo drivers... but not just ambo drivers. I don't know the various state laws, but in CA you need an additional drivers cert to work on a ambo... because we do drive those shinny trucks... the pts. do not come to us. You, however, being 15 and of the belief that you know a lot about EMS, see the words ambulance and driver in the same sentence and, ignoring all else, ranted about a topic that everyone here is already too familiar with... a topic that had nothing to do with the original post.

Take a step back, kid... and rethink your attitude a little. No one here is (or should be) bashing you for your age alone (we were all there and probably didn't realize that EMS was where we wanted to be)... but your attitude (dripping with superiority and some profound knowledge) and opinions on EMS have no business being spouted by any 15 year old towards adult EMSers with more combined real world experience than you will ever have. And if you don't like the responses here, then really rethink emergency services... too many of these personalites here in EMS/FIRE/LE?etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
in response to your question, if someone asked me if i had oxygen in the truck

I guess I should have been more specific with that question.
I was aiming that questions more at nurses in hospitals or nursing homes.
I have been asked more times than I can count, if we carry oxygen on the rig.

we call it a bus here as well...as well as many other things...lol
but you know why we call it a bus, don't you. Coz a bus is bigger than a cab and we can transport more patients that way...

I still like cabulance...lol

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief

we call it a bus here as well...as well as many other things...lol
but you know why we call it a bus, don't you. Coz a bus is bigger than a cab and we can transport more patients that way...

I still like cabulance...lol

LOL ^_^

Ambulance, Ambo, Rig, Truck, Unit, Bus. Does the title really matter? It isn't about what we are called or what we drive... but about what we do. As long as I can go to bed at night knowing that I did the best job I could to help others... you can call me whatever like. Cab Driver ain't half as bad as what I've been called by some psych patients. I didn't get into this field for titles or power or because I cared what other people think of me. Maybe other did... :p

MedicObserver

Forum Probie
First things first: CALM DOWN. You speak of respect for EMSers and that you are mature. So far there is nothing here to indicate that.

Let's get a couple of things straight. First, I applaud your choice in careers. good luck. But, you are 15 and trying to school profesional adult EMSers on EMS? ha ha. Procedure for OPAs? I could teach my 10 y/o nephew the procedure. I do not care how old you are or what your views are, but when you start that superiority garbage... than I have problems with anyone that wants to be in a thankless job like EMS and already has a "para-god" mindset. But, no, obviously you do not really know how things work. At 15, and being just an observer for a single agency in a certain area... you are not some expert on how things work in the real world of EMS. This is evidenced by your ranting toward EMSers with a combined 1,000 plus years actually working EMS (not observing). If you are going to be in EMS for any length of time, get one thing straight... you know nothing and are insignificate in the grand picture (not you personally, but all of us!)

On topic: Kid, yes some think that we are all just "ambulance drivers". For the record, in some areas they are just ambulance drivers... they only drive. As far as Medics and EMTs being called ambulance drivers... that stems from a lack of education in the public on what we are really all about. Live with it and help educate the public on what EMS is, don't presume to lecture anyone on this subject... especially people on an EMS forum. But, yes, part of what we do is drive. So we are also ambo drivers... but not just ambo drivers. I don't know the various state laws, but in CA you need an additional drivers cert to work on a ambo... because we do drive those shinny trucks... the pts. do not come to us. You, however, being 15 and of the belief that you know a lot about EMS, see the words ambulance and driver in the same sentence and, ignoring all else, ranted about a topic that everyone here is already too familiar with... a topic that had nothing to do with the original post.

Take a step back, kid... and rethink your attitude a little. No one here is (or should be) bashing you for your age alone (we were all there and probably didn't realize that EMS was where we wanted to be)... but your attitude (dripping with superiority and some profound knowledge) and opinions on EMS have no business being spouted by any 15 year old towards adult EMSers with more combined real world experience than you will ever have. And if you don't like the responses here, then really rethink emergency services... too many of these personalites here in EMS/FIRE/LE?etc...
My intentions do not include any superiority or that "I know it all" attitude. I never meant anything like that. What I am getting at is that everyone always makes the assumption that I don't know what I'm getting into and that I won't make it bacause I don't know what EMS is about. And that's what gets me mad, because when I ride I don't just sit in the front and watch the cars fly past as we rush to the ER. No Sir, I am right there in the jump seat watching everything, ready to grab something from a cabinet and hand it to whomever is working on the pt. (I have handed many things across the stretcher to a Paramedic or an EMT.) Also, when I first started planning for my career, I had 500 people say that chances are I would lose it the first time someone died in the back of the ambulance. Well, they were wrong: 15 month old baby, unresponsive, no oxygen in the blood, blue and clammy skin. The little guy flatlined twice on the way to the ER. The second time it was over; we couldn't possibly have done anything else to save him. And, honestly, I did kinda make me feel bad, but I just thought "We did the best we could, Lord. We tried our hardest but this time things just didn't go the way we wanted them to. Thank you, Lord, for the courage and will to keep going and we ask for your help on our next run." We all had a group prayer in the bay of the ambulance building after cleanup was done. What I am getting at is that it is so hard to prove yourself anymore. Everyone goes, "Well there's a 15 year old riding shotgun in an ambulance. What's he doing getting involved with something he knows nothing about?". I am unfortunately stuck in a generation that is ignorant and selfish and I get labeled with everyone else which I don't think is fair. I have had to support myself all along this path and hold myself up. I hate to have an excuse, but I really don't come from a positive area. I have zero support from my family in my decision, and everyone always has nothing but negative trash to say. What I mean, really, is that I'm not stupid like most people say. I take pride in knowing that I have skills that not everyone around here has. Is this understandable? If not I can clarify it somewhat.

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
LOL ^_^

Ambulance, Ambo, Rig, Truck, Unit, Bus. Does the title really matter? It isn't about what we are called or what we drive... but about what we do. As long as I can go to bed at night knowing that I did the best job I could to help others... you can call me whatever like. Cab Driver ain't half as bad as what I've been called by some psych patients. I didn't get into this field for titles or power or because I cared what other people think of me. Maybe other did... :p

Amen brother

VentMedic

Forum Chief

Believe it or not that is not a stupid question to be asked about oxygen.

When we contract ambulances for transport, we like to know how much O2 is on board and what type of outlets or connectors you have as well as how many. If we are running a ventilator, knowing you have a straight 50 psi is helpful as is knowing if your system uses quick connects or threaded.

I also can not tell you how many times EMT(P)s have shown up to a pick up a patient and have not brought an O2 tank with them. Their response is "the pt is just on 2 L/m, he can wait hold out until we get to the truck". Yes, but the patient will have to endure the discomfort of being short of breath with an SpO2 of 80%. It makes us in the hospital wonder if someone didn't check the O2 in their tanks. Thus, when a nurse asks you about O2 in your truck, they are probably asking "did you check your tanks today". Or, we may assume they are just too lazy to bring a tank in and that also makes us worry about the safety of our patient with that crew.

As far as the O2% in the back of a truck, we covered that in another thread. Room air is 21% while what you have in a tank is 100% O2. If you reply with a smart arse answer like "we have plenty in the truck, meaning room air, someone who has a healthcare license may know the difference and realize you don't. But then, some do now know from the other thread.

MedicObserver

Forum Probie
Can we just drop the whole thing and get back to waht the forum is about: members of the EMS family getting together to just chat or share info or do whatever they feel what would better connect them with their fellow responders? Instead of arguing and bashing each other?!

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
Believe it or not that is not a stupid question to be asked about oxygen.

When we contract ambulances for transport, we like to know how much O2 is on board and what type of outlets or connectors you have as well as how many. If we are running a ventilator, knowing you have a straight 50 psi is helpful as is knowing if your system uses quick connects or threaded.

I also can not tell you how many times EMT(P)s have shown up to a pick up a patient and have not brought an O2 tank with them. Their response is "the pt is just on 2 L/m, he can wait hold out until we get to the truck". Yes, but the patient will have to endure the discomfort of being short of breath with an SpO2 of 80%. It makes us in the hospital wonder if someone didn't check the O2 in their tanks. Thus, when a nurse asks you about O2 in your truck, they are probably asking "did you check your tanks today". Or, we may assume they are just too lazy to bring a tank in and that also makes us worry about the safety of our patient with that crew.

As far as the O2% in the back of a truck, we covered that in another thread. Room air is 21% while what you have in a tank is 100% O2. If you reply with a smart arse answer like "we have plenty in the truck, meaning room air, someone who has a healthcare license may know the difference and realize you don't. But then, some do now know from the other thread.

ok..1st I always have O2 with me and 1st in bag...it is like my american express card...I don't leave the bus without them...

but when I have been asked about O2 it was definitely meant as "did I check my tanks today", because there is usually utter amazement on their faces when we tell we have O2. They ask because they look down upon us and still assume we are nothing more than ambulance drivers. the way we were back in the day....

VentMedic

Forum Chief
but when I have been asked about O2 it was definitely meant as "did I check my tanks today", because there is usually utter amazement on their faces when we tell we have O2. They ask because they look down upon us and still assume we are nothing more than ambulance drivers. the way we were back in the day....

I am amazed and embarrassed for some also. It is also a reason why some ambulance companies lose their contracts with facilities and some hospitals now have their own trucks for Specialty, IFT and CCT. Our drivers are also out of the security/transport pool so we don't have to worry about offending them since we know their names and job title.

Hospitals and NHs also deal with many different forms of transport including medi and community vans. They may all wear uniforms and some will even have EMT patches but their vans do not carry medical supplies. Get familiar with the services in you area and you might actually be helpful when asked about different transportation companies.

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
My intentions do not include any superiority or that "I know it all" attitude. I never meant anything like that. What I am getting at is that everyone always makes the assumption that I don't know what I'm getting into and that I won't make it bacause I don't know what EMS is about. And that's what gets me mad, because when I ride I don't just sit in the front and watch the cars fly past as we rush to the ER. No Sir, I am right there in the jump seat watching everything, ready to grab something from a cabinet and hand it to whomever is working on the pt. (I have handed many things across the stretcher to a Paramedic or an EMT.) Also, when I first started planning for my career, I had 500 people say that chances are I would lose it the first time someone died in the back of the ambulance. Well, they were wrong: 15 month old baby, unresponsive, no oxygen in the blood, blue and clammy skin. The little guy flatlined twice on the way to the ER. The second time it was over; we couldn't possibly have done anything else to save him. And, honestly, I did kinda make me feel bad, but I just thought "We did the best we could, Lord. We tried our hardest but this time things just didn't go the way we wanted them to. Thank you, Lord, for the courage and will to keep going and we ask for your help on our next run." We all had a group prayer in the bay of the ambulance building after cleanup was done. What I am getting at is that it is so hard to prove yourself anymore. Everyone goes, "Well there's a 15 year old riding shotgun in an ambulance. What's he doing getting involved with something he knows nothing about?". I am unfortunately stuck in a generation that is ignorant and selfish and I get labeled with everyone else which I don't think is fair. I have had to support myself all along this path and hold myself up. I hate to have an excuse, but I really don't come from a positive area. I have zero support from my family in my decision, and everyone always has nothing but negative trash to say. What I mean, really, is that I'm not stupid like most people say. I take pride in knowing that I have skills that not everyone around here has. Is this understandable? If not I can clarify it somewhat.

We are not attacking you for your age. NOT at all. I am sure most of us commend you for your efforts and energy and desire at such a young age. I never even knew your age until someone posted it here.

Looking back through this entire thing, most of what you posted and the way posted makes a bit more sense knowing your age. You want us to come to terms with the fact you know more about EMS and have seen more horror then most kids your age. and we acknowledge this...but you are still a kid.
I don't want to dissuade you from a career in EMS, but be a kid while you can. EMS will still be here and still be fun...

Believe it or not, the attacks were more teaching than attacking. But when someone is trying to teach you something, don't argue with them. Most of the time the person trying to teach you something has a lot more experience in the matter than you do. Listen, Learn. this goes for anyone any age, any experience. NO ONE on these boards has seen it all, so we are always learning in this job.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Without any bashing:

Because I believe that all youngins interested in EMS should be encouraged and given direction, allow me to point out a few things that you wrote that raise the hair on my neck and make me doubt you as a future EMSer:

My intentions do not include any superiority or that "I know it all" attitude. I never meant anything like that. What I am getting at is that everyone always makes the assumption that I don't know what I'm getting into and that I won't make it bacause I don't know what EMS is about. And that's what gets me mad,

I can not see where any such assumptions were made here on anyones part except your own. Maybe you are a little too thinned skinned and need to get over that to be in EMS, a field with far two many opinionated type A personalities.

when I ride I don't just sit in the front and watch the cars fly past as we rush to the ER. No Sir, I am right there in the jump seat watching everything, ready to grab something from a cabinet and hand it to whomever is working on the pt. (I have handed many things across the stretcher to a Paramedic or an EMT.)

Wow… that is impressive. That alone is dripping in superiority. You really think that handing the medic a 4x4 qualifies you in some grandiose way… or gives you some insights that we (the people you hand the 4x4 to) do not?

"We did the best we could, Lord. We tried our hardest but this time things just didn't go the way we wanted them to. Thank you, Lord, for the courage and will to keep going and we ask for your help on our next run."

Once again… you are an observer. We are in EMS. Obviously the crews you observe include you as part of a team. GREAT! But that is unfortunately leading you to believe that you are in EMS and have as much of a vested interest in pt. care as the ones who have already made this their career and have done so for many more years. Can you lose a cert or license if you fail to hand the ambu bag to the EMT fast enough?

I am unfortunately stuck in a generation that is ignorant and selfish and I get labeled with everyone else which I don't think is fair. I have had to support myself all along this path and hold myself up. I hate to have an excuse, but I really don't come from a positive area. I have zero support from my family in my decision, and everyone always has nothing but negative trash to say. What I mean, really, is that I'm not stupid like most people say. I take pride in knowing that I have skills that not everyone around here has.

This is true. I am so disappointed in the future of this country. I relatively younger and am saddened by the youth. I do not fault you for your age… in fact I personally applaud you for taking an active interest in a career that is by definition thankless but rewarding in the fact that you get to help others. Obviously you are already jaded a little. Instead of taking the perspective you have on EMS and spouting it as the “truth of EMS”, try a gain a broader perspective of what EMS is really all about. A forum like this is a place to start. Listen to what these people say and let it influence you for the better. The first rule in my world of EMS is to accept that you know nothing (even if you are a Brain Surgeon) and that there are always smarter people that you can learn from. I can understand the lack of support when you choose something like EMS as a career. Oh can I understand it!!! It is great to have an inward resolve to not let that affect you and that resolve often translates into a defiance that in this case does you some harm as well. In particular I take that last sentence on pride. Be proud that you want to do this as a career. But lose the pride in your skills and abilities, both of which are so far beneath anyone here that it isn’t funny. Pride like that (which is a manifestation of superiority) has no place in EMS. Confidence and a resolve are wonderful. Pride (especially as is manifested in your posts) is not so good.

AND, yes, got your PM… and I understand what you mean. But you still need to watch yourself and how you, even if you are a brighter more focused 15 year old, present yourself. Without knowing your age originally, I though that you were some 20 year old newbie that just got his cert and was way too full of himself. It turned me off and it will others. Approach EMS from the standpoint of “I want to learn so I can help people” and not a “This is how accomplished I am and what I have to say are pearls of wisdom from my 2 years of observation.” If you are truly as bright and focused as you say, it will show in your posts if you present yourself appropriately.

Oh, anf you still realize that your original rant had no place in a discuseion on getthing a cert to drive an ambo in California, right? ^_^

AFTERTHOUGHT: See what I mean, this EMSers is smart. Listen, Learn:

Believe it or not, the attacks were more teaching than attacking. But when someone is trying to teach you something, don't argue with them. Most of the time the person trying to teach you something has a lot more experience in the matter than you do. Listen, Learn. this goes for anyone any age, any experience. NO ONE on these boards has seen it all, so we are always learning in this job.

MGary

Forum Probie
...You did what?

:excl:
By the way I have driven a rig. It was like a week after I got my learner's permit for Driver's ED. I got to drive a Type I TraumaHawk (I love that word; it just sounds like a rock song or something) down to the car-wash and scrub it from top to bottom. Then I got to drive the RapidResponse Tahoe because I was with an EMT-B and we were the only unit free to handle it. He handled the patient in the back while I drove to the ER. (Chill, people, I had already learned how to run the radio and lights and such long before that and I knew the legalities of the situation as well. Plus, we got there without any issue and nothing was said to the contrary about my driving.) Like I said, I AM NOT YOUR AVERAGE TEENAGER!!

It's great that you want to get into EMS. Really, it is. But it's stunts like this that will keep you out of it. You're on a public board. People can figure out who you are from your postings on here. You just posted how you willfully broke numerous laws.

You think it's smart to brag about driving an ambulance too young (law=18), on a learner's permit, w/o a licensed driver in the passenger seat, Code 3 without any training or even experience driving a normal vehicle let alone an ambulance, without the proper credentials (for example, an ADL or AAL, what this discussion was originally about) and endangered your own life, the life of your patient, the life of the EMT you were working with, and the life of every driver and pedestrian you passed while driving Code 3 unauthorized?

Was there no cop, firefighter, first responder, or any other emergency personnel who you or the other EMT could have asked to drive the ambulance to the hospital for you?

Do you think you'll get your EMT cert and Ambulance Attendant's License if your state EMS office hears about this stunt?

Do you think an employer will want to hire you after you demonstrate this kind of careless, reckless behavior? Insurance companies will drop coverage on private ambulance companies if they're caught pulling this kind of sh*t.

The EMT you were with should have known better, and you should know better. A private ambulance company can go out of business for this kind of crap. You want to see your buddies out of work for your screwup?

Man, you say you're mature and can handle EMS and its lifestyle. Prove it. The best way to step up and prove you're a man is to know when you've met circumstances that you can't handle. Instead of driving a rig Code 3 unauthorized, have the balls to tell that EMT no. Or even grab the damn radio yourself and advise Dispatch that you're a single unit and will need an LEO or FF to act as a driver once on-scene.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
yes i must say that my grammar is poor. i have excellent writing skills but i am not very computer friendly and i don't type on home row like you're supposed to; i do the old 2-finger peck and jab at the keyboard-type deal. i dont have time to go through and use caps, punctuation and all that.

You dont have time? Attention to detail is a very important aspect of EMS, slow down a bit. Short cuts are not advisable in grammer and especially in EMS.