Ambulance Companies

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by drewmeister2@Oct 14 2005, 09:50 PM

Lol, I'm only 17, and in Arizona (where I live), you have to be 18 to get an EMT. So I don't have much training.

However, I have done lots of ride-alongs with the Phoenix Fire Dept, and have learned lots of stuff from them (how to start an IV, like get the bag ready, where to put the pads for an EKG, how to get vitals, just basic stuff, but its a start).

I would like to get my EMT as soon as I can, and possibly go on to being a paramedic, we'll see.

The main reason I'm looking to work on an ambulance, and not with the Fire Dept so much anymore, is I don't like the whole idea of fighting fires. I love the emergency medical aspect though, so an ambulance might be the way to go.

Thanks for your help!
Ok... first.....

Being able to spike a bag, apply the leads, and get vital signs are all REALLY VALUABLE skills to have. My co. has plenty of EMT's that have difficulty with ALL 3 (yes, including vitals).

Second..... "I'm not thrilled about fighting fires"..... There is always a place for a bandaid whacker. Sometimes, though, to get a job you must be a "firefighter/EMT" or medic..... you could probably still stay with the ambulance, or drive the firetruck (and not go inside).

As for being 16/18 when you get your EMT.... look into it.... PA, you must be 16 to take the state EMT exam, but you must be 18 to START a medic program (liability issue... playing with narcs and IV's)

Also... see if you have a local volunteer fire Dept.... they are usually looking for volunteers.

Jon

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
A lot of "18 for certification" states let you take the course at 17 provided you turn 18 within a certain amount of time of the last written test. Check it out.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Yeah, you should probably look at your EMT-B as a stepping stone to either Medic or FF. Of course, there are always other things that certs are good for besides running a rig.... ;)

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by Luno@Oct 17 2005, 06:48 PM
Yeah, you should probably look at your EMT-B as a stepping stone to either Medic or FF. Of course, there are always other things that certs are good for besides running a rig.... ;)
Zactly

Beegers

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Oct 17 2005, 11:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Oct 17 2005, 11:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Jb78emt@Oct 17 2005, 09:01 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon
@Oct 14 2005, 11:21 AM
didn't they just get bought by Plural Retro??? and tick a lot of folks off???

icon_puke.gif

I can't stand Rural Metro. They do EMS here in my city during the day. They convinced the father of a kid hit by a car to sign a RMA....That family later needed to take his son to the hospital....$17,000+ later....

Oh the kid hit his head on the car windshield, breaking the window, the boy had a helmet on.

I hate that company. The only way I'd work there is if I'm planning on moving to transfer for a confirmed job.
Hearsay?

Lots of parents sign their kids off b/c they think it's too expensive. [/b][/quote]
Word is that the father wanted him to go. This was 2 years ago so I don't remember the full story. I believe that it was the volunteers that transported the kid later that evening cause I do remember the corps receiving a nice donation from the family not too long after.

In NJ you gotta be 16 for the EMT-B (Not the Registry, registry is 18). We have 2 separate tests.

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
Come on man...! I gave like this whole seminar on South African EMS a few months ago... and still ppl thing we play with lions and stuff. :unsure:

We usually win or do very well at the international rescue/paramedical competitions too. B)

EMS SA Topic

Pls check it out guys... thanks :D