ambulance accident

firecoins

IFT Puppet

oneluv79

Forum Crew Member
So....

Were they just in there playing around in the ambulance, why so fast in a parking lot w/ NO 911 call to go to... Well I hope things turn out for the best.... Still very sad...

oneluv79

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet
It wasn't a parking lot. It was a major road. I have more info now. They were on this road by dunkin donughts, across the street. Many truckers park their truck in the shoulder and run across the street for coffee at DD.

Apparently the driver was playing with his ipod while driving and side swipped a parked truck in the shoulder. The EMT in the passanger seat had her R arm amputated and bilateral femur fractures. She may not make it.

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
Completely unnecessary. I hate it when people fiddle with gadgets or phones or stuff whilst driving or responding.

I have seen it before that people type messages on their phone whilst responding or driving.

Accidents happen fast and they are deadly. I'm cannot blame the 19y/o driver, I wasn't there, but only an investigation and truth will be able to tell what happened. It won't bring the EMT's normal life back, but it can surely bring something to light to prevent this from happening again.

sad...

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I know the driver. Somehow I am not surprised.

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Apparently the driver was playing with his ipod while driving and side swipped a parked truck in the shoulder. The EMT in the passanger seat had her R arm amputated and bilateral femur fractures. She may not make it.

Just a matter of interest. Is it normal for a driver of an ambulance to
be using an I-pod while driving?
If that was the case with this incident, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
What say dispatch is trying to reach you on the RT or another emergency vehicle was trying to get past?
Not to mention the mere fact of distracting the driver, from paying full attention to the road and other traffic.
I do feel sorry for him though, as he now has to live with the fact that his partner has lost her arm and her career.

Enjoynz

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I feel bad for him too.

I wouldn't say it normal to have an ipod while driving BUT it was set up to play over the ambulance's FM/AM radio. Not really much of a problem in hearing dispatch unless one listen's to the FM/AM radio very loudly.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Moved to EMS News...

And my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I can not believe some of the comments that are being posted on that news site. It seems like former employees and disgruntled EMT(P)s are taking advantage of a very tragic situation to express their opinions about whatever comes to mind.

Two young lives will be changed forever.

My thoughts and prayers go out to them and their families.

JPINFV

Gadfly
You know, I almost wonder how fast these types of accidents would decrease if every time a story popped up ambulance services posted them in a prominent spot in the bay. If this was on a freeway, I wouldn't be talking because it would be hypocritical of myself to do so, but this wasn't a freeway and I never piddle paddled with iPods when I was driving.

Why is it the stupid person who never gets injured (people text messaging while driving, drunk drivers, etc)?

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I can not believe some of the comments that are being posted on that news site. It seems like former employees and disgruntled EMT(P)s are taking advantage of a very tragic situation to express their opinions about whatever comes to mind.

Two young lives will be changed forever.

My thoughts and prayers go out to them and their families.

The locals are getting restless

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Just a matter of interest. Is it normal for a driver of an ambulance to
be using an I-pod while driving?
If that was the case with this incident, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
What say dispatch is trying to reach you on the RT or another emergency vehicle was trying to get past?
Not to mention the mere fact of distracting the driver, from paying full attention to the road and other traffic.
I do feel sorry for him though, as he now has to live with the fact that his partner has lost her arm and her career.

Enjoynz
I hope it isn't common to play with iPods while driving.

I kick myself when I find myself trying to text message and drive in my OWN car... and I DON'T do it at work.
In fact, I try to avoid talking on the cell phone while driving an ambulance... I'm in a big, overloaded vehicle with too little breaking power and a high center of gravity.

The accident is a shame... and it sounds like it might have been preventable, if the service had strict policies about distracted driving, and employees HAD to follow them... of course, transport Co's tend to recruit many EMT's who are too young and/or inexperienced to work 911... so who knows.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
:( :ph34r:-_-:unsure::glare::sad:

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Thoughts.......

Safety, and always looking out for the public.... My thoughts and prayers to the people that have had their lives changed forever......-_-

Jango

Forum Crew Member
No matter how or why it happened....my thoughts and prayers go to the crew. I know for certain I will bring this up in my afternoon brief...

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet
No matter how or why it happened....my thoughts and prayers go to the crew. I know for certain I will bring this up in my afternoon brief...

This is the 2nd of such instances in our "region" of NY state. A few months ago a crew from another transport company had a fatal accident. In this case both members had been on 24 or 36 hour shifts split up between several agencies each. The 25 year old medic sleeping on the bench was killed when the 21 year old driver fell asleep and wrapped the wrig around a tree. The driver walked away with minot injuries.

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Just found both the driver and emt in the Regional accidents both have Cervical spine fracctures. The driver has a C-3 and the emt has a C-5.

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet
He hasn't been released. He would be on the stable side of things. My understanding is the C-3 fx was found late in the process. What that means exactly I don't know as this is what I am hearing from Regional employees.

Last edited by a moderator: