Ambulance Accident

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
Sucks to hear the patient died, but good to hear the other injuries weren't worse.

Just a thought: depending on the type of call, if the patient was in the supine position strapped to the stretcher, wouldn't they not get thrown around the inside of the box and be in a decently "safe" position? Not sure how secure the stretcher locks are though.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
In our area most ambulances are equipped to stop the cot from rolling aruond during transport. not
levitating off the floor, or the ambulance tipping over.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
Sucks to hear the patient died, but good to hear the other injuries weren't worse.

Just a thought: depending on the type of call, if the patient was in the supine position strapped to the stretcher, wouldn't they not get thrown around the inside of the box and be in a decently "safe" position? Not sure how secure the stretcher locks are though.

I had a little trouble deciphering all the double negatives in that post, but Government manufacturing specs require the cot locks to maintain the cot secured during a rollover event and (I think 50Gs) in a collision.

Last edited by a moderator:

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
I had a little trouble deciphering all the double negatives in that post, but Government manufacturing specs require the cot locks to maintain the cot secured during a rollover event and (I think 50Gs) in a collision.

Our cot would probably stay put, but we have so many loose items in the cab and the box that a rollover would create a veritable maelstrom of medical debris. Our BLS bag weighs probably 30 lbs, and the ALS bag is another 15 or so; there is also the big metal clipboard containing the MIR and refusal forms. Half of the EMTs don't even bother securing the Lifepak - I really don't want to have a closed-casket because my face was caved in by a flying cardiac monitor.

Up in the cab we have binder after binder of maps shoved in the dog box (center console), spot lights that just kind of sit under the seats, portable radios hanging from hooks, and the CAD computer (I highly doubt that flimsy little laptop stand is rated for a rollover like the cot is).

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
Our cot would probably stay put, but we have so many loose items in the cab and the box that a rollover would create a veritable maelstrom of medical debris.

Oh, I agree. I even have a mounting system for our aluminum clipboard so it will be secure. More than once my partner in the back has tossed the clipboard onto the passenger seat beside me as I drive and I call him up front to stow it properly.

Here's my take:

I provide my staff with the means to be able to secure and stow any loose objects. Is everything crash rated? No. But it does provide a certain level of protection should a collision occur. Med kits are either belted down or stowed in their assigned compartment. LP12s are sercurley mounted and locked down. Clip Board is in the holder when not in use.

Will stuff come loose and fly around? Hell Yeah, but when there's an inquiry I can't be accused of not taking reasonable steps with equipment and policy to prevent or mitigate damage.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Half of the EMTs don't even bother securing the Lifepak - I really don't want to have a closed-casket because my face was caved in by a flying cardiac monitor.
so fire the EMTs. it is pure lazyness to to not wrap a seatbelt strap around the lifepak.

oxygen gets secured. aed and suction get put in compartments. crew members are secured. computer might go flying if it's on someone's lap. med bags and airway bags are going flying, but they don't weigh nearly as much as a lifepak.

I stand by my statement: fire the EMTs (and the medics, since it is their tool and their responsibility) if they don't bother to secure the lifepak. once you fire the first pair, the rest will see you take THEIR safety seriously, and they will start securing their heavy tools, just in case they crash.