Am I to old to start?

canardroti

Forum Probie
You're not too old, I got my cert at 32.
Like others have said, it's not a long term goal. Props to those who do this for life but it is an entry level job and move up the ladder once you get enough experience.
Getting your EMT license opens alot of doors then you keep opening more doors as you get more certs.

Good luck

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
I found about a class for Basics to be given locally and thought it would be good stuff to learn. The class ended November 18th last year. I turned 66 on November 29th and have been volunteering since passing the NREMT test and getting licensed. I will probably start working for money next month.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
....I never thought 36 was that old to begin with.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I've done my classes with a few folks in their 30's and 40's, so you can definitely do it. But everyone is right, people tend to move on to new things after a while.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Not for EMS. I started when i was 28. I consider myself to be too old for FD now. I am 32.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
28 to 32 year olds are often the most desirable (and successful) fire hires... Life experience and work ethic are at their prime.
Maybe but in Miami Dade County the next hiring round might be in a several years and being hispanic does not help.

Rlmiddlebrooks

Forum Ride Along
Just finished school and waiting on the state to finish the file review so I can test. I am 42 and don't feel I'm to old at all. My intentions are to continue my education in August by attending paramedic classes. One student in emt class was 56 and excited to be going through the program.

So no you are not too old in my opinion. I took the emt test in Jan and passed so if the state of Georgia will hurry up with the file review I hope to take the A test in the next week or so.