Am I in the wrong field?

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape

As I mentioned earlier, they don't really work for firefighting. They only filter the ambient air before delivering it, which can expose the user to anything that filter isn't designed for. There's no filter that works for everything--you pick different ones based on what you'll encounter, which doesn't work in an environment where you don't know the hazard. I don't know for sure, but I also think they don't have any way of compensating for high ambient temperatures.

medic417

The Truth Provider
As I mentioned earlier, they don't really work for firefighting. They only filter the ambient air before delivering it, which can expose the user to anything that filter isn't designed for. There's no filter that works for everything--you pick different ones based on what you'll encounter, which doesn't work in an environment where you don't know the hazard. I don't know for sure, but I also think they don't have any way of compensating for high ambient temperatures.

He wants to be a medical professional not a fire fighter.

In all honesty on the ambulance there is very little chance that you will face enough exposure that masking the patient with either a n95 or a non rebreather, using the ambulance exhaust system, and perhaps a standard surgical mask, would not be enough protection. Heck open the windows so you have constant supply of fresh air.

MylesC

Forum Probie
Honestly if this is truely what you want to do and your heart is completely for being i this field... stick with it. If theres a will theres a way.
I see too many people that dont take their jobs seriously. Every patient is someones mom, dad, sister, brother, cousin, ect. If you think you can have a positive impact on someones life just keep asking questions and keep being motivated.
Good luck to you brother

OP
OP
L

LawKev

Forum Crew Member
I find it sad that people who, as part of their chosen profession, are expected to interact with and show basic respect for people of extremely diverse cultures, religions, backgrounds, and socioeconomic status are being so, well, disrespectful.

You may take issue with Islamic tenets, but who cares? Don't convert. About "religions that tell you what you can look like"...

1 Timothy 2:9 (NIV): "I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes."

1 Corinthians 11:14: "Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him."

Deuteronomy 22:5: "A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this."

Leviticus 19:27: "'Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard."

Christianity, Islam, Judaism... you'll find restrictions on dress and appearance in every major religion. Of course these are all subject to interpretation and some followers will abide by them and some will not, but they're all there.

Obviously having a beard in EMS may be problematic. The issues here are safety and hirability... not which religion is right or wrong.

Legally... according to Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964... "It shall be an unlawful employment practice for an employer to fail or refuse to hire or to discharge any individual, or otherwise to discriminate against any individual with respect to his compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, because of such individual’s race, color, religion, sex, or national origin..."

The important language comes in the definition of religion... "The term “religion” includes all aspects of religious observance and practice, as well as belief, unless an employer demonstrates that he is unable to reasonably accommodate to an employee’s or prospective employee’s religious observance or practice without undue hardship on the conduct of the employer’s business."

It's that "undue hardship" part that's up for interpretation. It could be very easy for an employer to claim undue hardship based on potential safety problems and the cost of accommodating a beard.

Title VII

Here is an interesting case regarding two Islamic Newark police officers who refused to shave their beards (Federal court ruled in their favor).

I met one of them.

OP
OP
L

LawKev

Forum Crew Member
I tried to edit the first post and lost the page.

Here is an interesting case regarding two Islamic Newark police officers who refused to shave their beards (Federal court ruled in their favor).

Mustafa Shakoor is one of these two officers. Some brothers consider him to be a pioneer because of this case. I used to see him at the Mosque often and sometimes in uniform. I remmember praying next to him on an occasion. I don't know him personally. I posted an interview of him earlier in the thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxNKVKc5F0s. His situation was not a saftey issue. They said that he and the the other officer were was breaking the spirit of decorum.

Seaglass's post (#56) was on the money.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
He wants to be a medical professional not a fire fighter.

If that's the case, then he should be fine anywhere but an FD. Even in FDs that allow single-role providers, it's often practically impossible to climb the career ladder without also going through fire school at some point.

Third services or even hospital tech jobs are probably the best bet, but I'm not familiar enough with that area to suggest any.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
L

LawKev

Forum Crew Member
Well, I'll just try to volunteer and we'll see from there. Like I said, I'm not that desperate. I have a job.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Well, I'll just try to volunteer and we'll see from there. Like I said, I'm not that desperate. I have a job.

That's a good thing--there are way too many EMTs out there for anyone to be sure of finding employment, these days. Volunteering's always a good way to gain experience, anyways. If you find the right department, it can also provide some good networking.

By the way, if you're looking to make EMS your career, I'd recommend looking at nursing school, too. You can challenge and become a medic afterwards, and have a lot more career flexibility and earning potential without being bound to FD-based EMS.

Regardless of what you decide, good luck!

OP
OP
L

LawKev

Forum Crew Member
Yeah, but at this point I am seriously considering letting the license go. I'm grown man with kids. I don't have time to play games. There are plenty of beard friendly professions out there and I have already began looking. I may volunteer if the beard is not an issue and If so then I have been practicing Islam for 16 years i.e. since before 9/11 and the current state of affairs. I won't break that easy God willing.

Thanks

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Not sure if this has been said previously although I'm sure you're well aware of your religious beliefs and what can and cannot be done within said religion, however I do know many muslims who do not don the facial hair that is so desired within their religion. May of said muslims I know do wish they could allow their beards to grow but made the decision to shave to keep their jobs. Most, if not all, are happy with that decision. Even I like to rock out the chin strap (it makes me look older, I don't get ID'd as much). However I believe my life is more important than facial hair and off it goes if I'm working. As a firefighter and as an Emergency Medical Responder (Canadian equivalent to EMT-B ), that seal that has to be established with SCBA and/or other respirators is imperative. There's no use wearing said devices if there is no patented seal.

Not to drag this on any longer than it has to, I'll conclude with a reiteration that the seal is very, very important. If you feel the facial hair is more important than your job, by all means leave that job and look for something else. If you can live without the beard like many other muslims can, I do suggest making good friends with a shaver. Ultimately the choice is yours. Do what you feel is right.

OP
OP
L

LawKev

Forum Crew Member
That's a good thing--there are way too many EMTs out there for anyone to be sure of finding employment, these days. Volunteering's always a good way to gain experience, anyways. If you find the right department, it can also provide some good networking.

By the way, if you're looking to make EMS your career, I'd recommend looking at nursing school, too. You can challenge and become a medic afterwards, and have a lot more career flexibility and earning potential without being bound to FD-based EMS.

Regardless of what you decide, good luck!

Thanks