Alternative EMT programs for Hawaii

incarnate1

Forum Ride Along
Kapiolani Community College has the only EMT program in Hawaii, but the amount of people who apply every semester is always double, if not triple the amount of open slots.

Can someone recommend me any alternative EMT programs for EMT-B/I that I can take off-island that I could use to become an EMT in the state of Hawaii?

Thanks.

Look up EMT programs in California, if you could afford about 3 months of living here, you can do it.

medic417

The Truth Provider

Ocean711

Forum Crew Member
This really depends on where you want to work/live. If you want to stay in Hawaii and work on an ambulance, either C&C or AMR, you will need to go to KCC. If you study hard in your prerequisites and do well in your interview it shouldn't be a problem getting in. Volunteering in a hospital helps too. Honolulu FD will accept the EMT course offered at HCC, but you will not be a state certified EMT and cannot work on an ambulance. You could go out of state, but I would discourage this if you want to stay in Hawaii because the reciprocity process is so difficult, it is easier to complete the course in Hawaii. If you don't mind leaving and moving away, go for it. One last note, I went through he EMT program at KCC and the amount of information you will learn at KCC will surpass many mainland schools because of the higher than average course hours. Let me know if you have any questions, I know it seems like its a really difficult process, but it is really not that bad. Good luck!

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I found this...
<H2 class="header Heading3">City and County EMT Academy
  • In 2008, the City and County of Honolulu created an EMT training academy to remedy a serious EMT shortage in the state. As of November 2007, there was an 18% vacancy rate for EMT and paramedic positions. There was much controversy over the creation of this program, as residents and community college supporters accused the city of stealing students from the KCC program. The program pays students stipends of $2,917 per month in exchange for a two year commitment after completion of the 6-month training and successful passage of the National Registry Emergency Medical Technician Basic and Intermediate exams.
    City and County of Honolulu Department of Emergency Services, Emergency Medical Services Division
    3375 Koapaka Street, Suite H-450
    Honolulu, HI 96819
    (808) 723-7809

</H2>
Here... http://www.ehow.com/list_6852152_hawaii-ems-programs.html

OahuCPRTraining

Forum Ride Along
Alternative Program

It depends on what your wanting to get your EMT for. If its ambulance, then KCC is basically the only way. If its not and all you need is your NREMT certification and not worried about state licensing then there are online "hybrid" courses from the mainland.

I am in one now, I do everything right here at home in Hawaii until the last week of class in February, then I fly to Idaho for class, lectures, skills testing, exams, etc.

I dont need licensing, all I need is to get my certification back, so this was the perfect way to go for me.

Ocean711

Forum Crew Member
I haven't been in here in a while, but FYI City and County discontinued their EMT academy a few years ago. I just don't want anyone to be misled.