Almost ready to REALLY start learning!

FlyerAce128

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone,

I haven't posted much at all, but have been lurking around quite a bit. Well, I finally finished up the classroom portion and passed my practical skills eval. Now I just need to schedule and take the NREMT and get my state certification. I'm pretty excited to be this much closer to getting started. Hopefully as I continue on I'll have more meaningful contributions to the community haha. Anyway I just wanted to express my bit of excitement and give a big thanks to the community here.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Almost ready to REALLY start learning!

Well, I finally finished up the classroom portion and passed my practical skills eval.

Something about building a house on an unfit foundation really applies here if you weren't learning during the classroom portion.

OP
OP
F

FlyerAce128

Forum Ride Along
Something about building a house on an unfit foundation really applies here if you weren't learning during the classroom portion.

What I mean is that all of the classroom learning and training adds up, but the real experience and continuing learning happens in the field. I don't mean to create an impression that I'm not learning or haven't taken the training I do have to heart. What I mean is that although I'm finished with the classroom portion I'm really just opening the door to my EMS education.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Best way to learn is to learn by doing, right?

1. Depends on the type of person. Just like not everyone learns by reading or visuals or audio, not everyone is a kinesthetic learner.

2. Theory is best learned in the classroom. Yes, students need to learn how to apply what they know, but if the "best way to learn is by doing" then we can scrap the entire classroom portion and move towards apprenticeship/journeyman/master style system.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
What I mean is that all of the classroom learning and training adds up, but the real experience and continuing learning happens in the field. I don't mean to create an impression that I'm not learning or haven't taken the training I do have to heart. What I mean is that although I'm finished with the classroom portion I'm really just opening the door to my EMS education.

If by "just opening the door to my EMS education", you mean satisfying pre-reqs for paramedic school, or working towards a degree, then yes, you are about to really start learning.

But if you are trying to allude to an ill conceited belief that your "true education" begins in the field, then you are gravely mistaken.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief

If by "just opening the door to my EMS education", you mean satisfying pre-reqs for paramedic school, or working towards a degree, then yes, you are about to really start learning.

But if you are trying to allude to an ill conceited belief that your "true education" begins in the field, then you are gravely mistaken.

EMS training is far from formal education, yet is all that many people in this field have. Don't set yourself up for this trap this early in the game

OP
OP
F

FlyerAce128

Forum Ride Along
I do intend to continue on to paramedic school, but I guess I'm somewhat confused when you say that I would be gravely mistaken in believing "true education" is in the field. From the way I see it, the training I received in the classroom portion set me up with the skillset to be an EMT-B. However, the real experience of being on calls, patient care, actual interaction, etc. is (I assume) quite different than classroom lectures and scenarios. That experience, in my view, is the education. Learning how to deal with the myriad of different situations encountered in the field can't be replicated in a classroom environment. I want to provide the best care possible and succeed in bettering myself and my care for patients. I guess what I was trying to say was that although I've been trained, I haven't experienced what this field is really about. I want to soak up as much knowledge as possible, and definitely don't want to come off as someone who disregards the training I have already received. I hope I haven't portrayed myself as irresponsible, under trained, etc.