all i need is a code

piranah

Forum Captain
...lol so here it is for the last two months I've been riding on a medic fly-car waiting for a code. I just need 1 tube and an electrical therapy. All of my other skills are done and the experience I'm getting is amazing but this is killing me I'm gunna get to 500 hrs on this truck with nothing....it seems everytime I go out of town there is a code, or I'll get off a 16 hr shift riding and 1 hr later there is a code....this is gruelling...sorry just frustrated...how long did you ride until you got done.....ive missed 5 codes so far

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I know how you feel. When I was in Intermediate school the clinical site coordinator gave me the wrong address for the ambulance station I was doing my clinicals at. I was 20 minutes late and missed a code.

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Be careful what you wish for. You may end up run off your feet!;)

Cheers Enjoynz

Epi-do

I see dead people
Yeah, ummm....didn't really have that problem. I was known as "the angel of death" in my medic class. I ended up only having to go down to the OR for one extra clinical, and it wasn't to get a tube. I needed either an NG or an OG. I got lucky, and after talking to the first anesthesiologist and letting him know my plight, he let me sink one even though he hadn't planned on it for that particular patient.

OP
OP
piranah

piranah

Forum Captain
well its not the hospital clinicals...im done with those....im just waiting on that tube... although like i said im getting some great experience.....i just wanna get my ticket and get thrown out there....ive always been that way with learning.."trial by fire"...i was like that with my basic and i feel thats what i need...im putting in 100 hrs a week since i started and only getting paid for 40.....im tired,fatigued but i cant relax untill im done..(i wont let myself)....and i love doing it but..lol im kinda just coasting along waiting...ive gotten codes but they're always too dead or been there for 10 hrs....lol...i just dont have luck lol

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
I did my medic ride time in NYC and my first call my first day and my first call my second day were codes.
I see you are in RI, are you able to do ride time in MA? If so, ride with AMR in Bockton or call Atlantic and ask to ride in Lynn.

A co-worker of mine did 600 or so hours of ride time and didn't get a shock or intubation. Finally he called AMR and road in Brockton and got his tube 6 hours into the shift and he was done.

OP
OP
piranah

piranah

Forum Captain
there is an affiliation problem with MA...i work with the chief of fall river and i would ride there but...national would accept it but MA wont...its been a pain

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I share your pain.

Due to finish at midnight, at 2358 I got changed and walked out; as I was doing so ... "Ambulance calls West 1 and West 3, priority one, code nine [echo]"

Work North, two codes out West, ride Monday, code on Tuesday, get dispatched to a code, turns out to be a seizure ....

OP
OP
piranah

piranah

Forum Captain
see... mr. brown knows...lol im done being pissed....it'll come when it comes

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
During EMT clinicals:

Was being sent to a priority 1 auto accident on the highway. Got diverted halfway there for another priority 1. The first call ended up being a auto-ped, lady died.

Got off shift, then heard a call over the radio "15 y/o female found unconscious, not breathing at Hooters".... at 5 AM...

I'm a friggin white cloud. Only person in my class not to get a code in my EMT. We'll see what happens when medic clinicals starter in October.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
This is why everyone should train in Florida...endless supply of old people with complex medical cases, multiple codes or a code daily, awesome trauma from all the old people or the party people tourists, tons of transients and immigrants to bring in all kinds of weird or unusual diseases or presentations, swimming pool in every yard, lakes everywhere, exotic animals looming, lots of heat with humidity, add all of this to your "typical" demographic and it just makes EMS so much more fun...:)

Sasha

Forum Chief
This is why everyone should train in Florida...endless supply of old people with complex medical cases, multiple codes or a code daily, awesome trauma from all the old people or the party people tourists, tons of transients and immigrants to bring in all kinds of weird or unusual diseases or presentations, swimming pool in every yard, lakes everywhere, exotic animals looming, lots of heat with humidity, add all of this to your "typical" demographic and it just makes EMS so much more fun...:)

Just follow around the big lincoln towncars. Eventually the driver will croak or mow down some pedestrian thinking they were hitting the brake and not the gas.

OP
OP
piranah

piranah

Forum Captain
ya...well im planning on going to tour Sunstar Paramedics when i visit florida in feb...two of my friends worked 2 yrs down there and they said it was a great experience....but so far its another week in ride time and so far no tube....