Alcohol in pediatrics

emt4life

Forum Crew Member
Okay, questions for those that know more than I. When it comes to pediatrics and exposure to alcohol, is there a difference in their presentation of alcohol poisoning than that of adults? What would set severe intoxication apart from poisoning, especially in a pediatric pt?

The reason I ask is I had a ped patient who was exposed to a fair amount of alcohol (for their size) in a short amount of time and I am trying to figure out if they had alcohol poisoning or just severe intoxication. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated in case I come upon another case like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The symptomology would be about the same, but remember the amount of ingestion in according to body weight, fat, and liver distribution is much different. So only a little amount is needed to cause alcohol intoxication and poisoning.

Alcohol poisoning can be fatal, with acute respiratory depression and increased chance of aspiration, renal and hepatic failure to organ failure. I have witnessed a couple of youths that died in ICU from acute alcohol poisoning. It is a tragic event.

Most of the prehospital treatment is supportive care such as airway, and fluid therapy to flush the system. Monitor for seizures and arrhythmias as well. Many times the physician may attempt to have the patient dialyzed if the amount is great.

R/r 911