Albuterol alternative for allergic reactions

URI

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys
I was wondering if anyone had some insight on some good recommendations for alternatives for Albuterol.

If a patient were allergic to Albuterol, what would be your first med choice?

Currently, we stock Albuterol, Terbutaline, and Epi. But I was wondering if Atrovent would be the way to go or Mag sulfate.
I wanted to know what you guys thought before recommending we stock certain drugs. Thanks.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey guys
I was wondering if anyone had some insight on some good recommendations for alternatives for Albuterol.

Currently, we stock Albuterol, Terbutaline, and Epi. But I was wondering if Atrovent would be the way to go or Mag sulfate.
I wanted to know what you guys thought before recommending we stock certain drugs. Thanks.

We have terbutaline and atrovent. I would probably go with atrovent first.

OP
OP
URI

URI

Forum Crew Member
Can you tell me, would the pt. still have the allergic reaction of you gave the Terbutaline? I know it's also beta 2 stimulant, but I simply don't know enough about physiology to know for sure.

Rykielz

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys

Atrovent is commonly given in conjunction with Albuterol, so I wouldn't necessarily call it an "alternative" but it would be beneficial and could resolve the issue. Magnesium Sulfate is the drug I've gone to after a few rounds of Albuterol didn't resolve the problem and I've never had it fail. Epinephrine can also be given, but I'd normally leave that as the last drug of choice as it has the most severe side effects and can't be titrated. The order I'd go in if Albuterol weren't an option are:

1) Atrovent
2) Magnesium Sulfate
3) Subcutaneous Epinephrine

As for Terbutaline, it's not in my protocols and I'm not familiar with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Can you tell me, would the pt. still have the allergic reaction of you gave the Terbutaline? I know it's also beta 2 stimulant, but I simply don't know enough about physiology to know for sure.

The use of Albuterol in an allergic reaction isn't to stop the body's reaction to an allergen, it's more to correct the bronchoconstriction / wheezing that develops.

Epi, benadryl, pepcid... those are the main ones that 'correct' the reaction. Albuterol + Atrovent for the wheezing, Solu-Medrol for the inflammation.

Terbutaline, being a B2-agonist, would as far as I know be a good replacement of Albuterol. Xoponex, being a selective B2 agonist, would probably be another. Atrovent is an anticholinergic, not a B2 agonist.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
URI

URI

Forum Crew Member
Magnesium Sulfate is the drug I've gone to after a few rounds of Albuterol didn't resolve the problem and I've never had it fail.

Does Mag work the same way as Atrovent in that it is a antichlornergic?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Allergic reaction in albuteral is usually due to peanut allergy no?

"Patients allergic to soybean protein or other legumes, such as peanuts, may be allergic to the soya lecithin contained in the metered-dose inhaler

Ipratropium—Patients sensitive to atropine or its derivatives may be sensitive to ipratropium. "

http://www.drugs.com/mmx/ipratropium-bromide-and-albuterol-sulfate.html

What about nebulized epi?

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
Depending on the severity of the symptoms, you could give epi IM, or simply nebulise the epinephrine. You can expect a little more tachycardia, so there's some risk in the patient w/ CAD, but its probably outweighed by the potential benefit.

Atrovent's adjunctive therapy and unlikely to fix any but the mildest symptoms when used alone. Magnesium IV works ok for some people, does little for others -- and that's with continuous nebulised beta agonist, so I wouldn't rely on it by itself.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

johnmedic

Forum Crew Member
Allergic reaction in albuteral is usually due to peanut allergy no?

"Patients allergic to soybean protein or other legumes, such as peanuts, may be allergic to the soya lecithin contained in the metered-dose inhaler

Ipratropium—Patients sensitive to atropine or its derivatives may be sensitive to ipratropium. "

http://www.drugs.com/mmx/ipratropium-bromide-and-albuterol-sulfate.html

What about nebulized epi?

Patients with allergies to peanuts are cautioned about Albuterol or Atrovent (Ipratropium) inhalers. The allergic risk is to the aerosols in MDI's & not the associated drugs, nebulized breathing treatments don't use soy-lethicin (sp?) so the drugs aren't contraindicated for peanut allergies.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Just an odd thought, but if you were treating patient for allergic reaction; hopefully with Benadryl, and Epi already; wouldn't that overcome any allergic reactions to the Albuterol that they are allergic too, but you give them for the wheezing?

and before anyone has a cow; I am joking

Dwindlin

Forum Captain
Just an odd thought, but if you were treating patient for allergic reaction; hopefully with Benadryl, and Epi already; wouldn't that overcome any allergic reactions to the Albuterol that they are allergic too, but you give them for the wheezing?

and before anyone has a cow; I am joking

We do this frequently in the hospital. Especially for IV Dye allergies.