Alaska.....Again

Dougw133

Forum Probie
Hello. I've read a few posts in the past. I am still unclear about a few things and seeking information.

Im a 12 year Nationally Registered Paramedic/FF1 Pro Board with broad expeireicne. Some of that being with the Philadelphia Fire Department on Medic 10. Couldn't tolerate big city life too long. I've been to Alaska quite a few times. I've worked both the busiest ALS system in the country and the slowest of rural 2 hour transports etc... My wife and I are going to be heading on up soon due to the dismal job market for her profession in our area.

I don't care much for Anchorage as it just didn't appeal to me. I like being rural and out of the way. I always enjoyed the Kenai Peninsula the most. I am starting to understand that most of the area is volunteer EMT III. However, there must be some other level or provider of ALS care in those areas.? Seward, Homer, Soldotna, kenai etc...Seems like a job pops up once in a blue moon and when I see it, it's already gone.

Anyone have an suggestions or currnelty working in the area? Im also trying to figure out the catch 22 of the reciprocity. Need to be sponsored by an Alaskan Physician yet I dont work in Alaska, yet. Most jobs I see require current Alaska Cert at time of hire. Is this just a method of keeping outsiders out or am I missing something?

Thanks for you time.