Airways?

2boss4

Forum Probie
what is the difference between the tube shaped oral airways and the "I"beam shaped ones? advantages, disadvantages, preference, any difference at all?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I haven't found any legit differences. Maybe one is cheaper.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
although it certainly isnt an easy task, you can bite through the hollow ones. the girder style is pretty bullet proof. also cheaper.

for the majority of ambulances out there(at least in ma), it hardly matters. they are both just as easy to count and thats by and large the only contact most emts up here have with them.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
although it certainly isnt an easy task, you can bite through the hollow ones. the girder style is pretty bullet proof.

i should add that this is the line ive been fed for years. i personally have never seen anybody bite through an opa, but have been in the presence of people who say they have, for what its worth.....

VentMedic

Forum Chief
If they bite through an OPA, they DO NOT need an OPA.

That is the wrong device for a patient who is still conscious enough to struggle. If their gag is still intact, they may vomit and there goes the patient's airway.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
If they bite through an OPA, they DO NOT need an OPA.

That is the wrong device for a patient who is still conscious enough to struggle. If their gag is still intact, they may vomit and there goes the patient's airway.

the only argument taht could be made their is someone that had a seizure, went post ictal, ems arrives and drops an airway, then the pt seizes again. as i said, i dont buy it, but its the party line.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I forget what the actual term for the I shaped one is but we were taught that they're easier to suction. Can't say as I know since we don't carry them but that's what we were told.

Meaganbutterflyemt

Forum Probie
Tube Shaped: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4112936.html

A bite block and airway assembly comprising a generally U-shaped resilient block having upper and lower teeth or gum-engaging surfaces and having an aperture formed centrally through the block between such surfaces and communicating between the interior and exterior of the block for matingly receiving and frictionally holding a tongue depressor type oral airway tube. The frictional engagement of the block with the airway tube provides slidable adjustability with respect to the depth of insertion of the tube while firmly holding the tube in any of a plurality of slidably adjustable positions. The tube-engaging aperture formed in the block is of oval shape for matingly and adjustably engaging any of a number of different types of airway tubes having different cross-sectional configurations. The device is usable as an oral protective device in electro-convulsive therapy or, alternatively, as an oral filler for the administration of gaseous anesthetic to edentulous patients.

Im having a hard time trying to find the i beam.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Berman I-Beam versus Hudson tube

You can't clog up an I beam and you can suction either side. A Hudson forces your suction to buccal and central OP areas when debris can be peritonsillar, and once the mouth closes on the Hudson it's lumen is the only airway other than nasal. Lastly, the Hudson's flange is lateral (same direction your mouth opening is built) while the Berman's flange is superior-inferior, supposedly less likely to head for the oropharyngeal route to the GI and respiratory structure.

Last edited by a moderator:

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
Huh... I just usually pull the tongue out of the way with my Gerber tool pliers. Let's see them bite through THAT.