Air Force/Federal EMS

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Put an app in on USA Jobs for an EMS posting through the Air Force, specifically for Carson, the USAF Academy and Peterson. Anyone have some insight on EMS at these bases?

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Put an app in on USA Jobs for an EMS posting through the Air Force, specifically for Carson, the USAF Academy and Peterson. Anyone have some insight on EMS at these bases?
If it’s the multiple appointment job announcement good luck. I’ve yet to hear anyone get a job through that announcement, it’s been listed for about 4-5 years now. I don’t know if the academy is still using private services still. But good luck.

OP
OP
Lo2w

Lo2w

Forum Captain
If it’s the multiple appointment job announcement good luck. I’ve yet to hear anyone get a job through that announcement, it’s been listed for about 4-5 years now. I don’t know if the academy is still using private services still. But good luck.
Ahh gotcha...

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
EMS on bases varries from base to base. Some fire does all EMS including transport. Others have their own EMS that does it all and others have fire as primary but transport is done by a different federal EMS agency. They will sometimes respond off base as well. The one I worked with followed the counties protocols for the most part but had their own add-ons being federal. Decent equipment decent pay, decent benefits. Better than private.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Fort Carson is an Army installation, they have both a civilian Fire and EMS department. EMS is quasi affiliated with Evans Army Community Hospital. They respond to 911 calls on the base, the SW Hwy 115 Fire District, as well as doing most transfers from EACH to local, larger hospitals. Fort Carson Fire has non-transporting FF/Medics.

The AFA currently has EMS provided by a company called Rocky Mountain Mobile Medical, they also service Schriever AFB. Peterson and Cheyenne (NORAD) AFBs are served by regular AMR El Paso County car. The Air Force installations have civilian and active/reserve duty BLS fire departments.

The Fort Carson ambulance has great protocols and equipment but is not particularly busy. Rocky Mountain is not a top tier provider of EMS, it'll be interesting to see how long they maintain the AFA and Schriever contracts. The area rumor is that the "multiple appointment job announcement" is the Air Force looking to bring ALS EMS in house like Fort Carson does though I have not heard if there is any progress on that. I understand that it's tough to get hired at Carson without having served and having an in.

OP
OP
Lo2w

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Thanks Tigger, its more of a "what the hell" app while I get everything in for the State card and wait for the background check.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Fort Carson is an Army installation, they have both a civilian Fire and EMS department. EMS is quasi affiliated with Evans Army Community Hospital. They respond to 911 calls on the base, the SW Hwy 115 Fire District, as well as doing most transfers from EACH to local, larger hospitals. Fort Carson Fire has non-transporting FF/Medics.

The AFA currently has EMS provided by a company called Rocky Mountain Mobile Medical, they also service Schriever AFB. Peterson and Cheyenne (NORAD) AFBs are served by regular AMR El Paso County car. The Air Force installations have civilian and active/reserve duty BLS fire departments.

The Fort Carson ambulance has great protocols and equipment but is not particularly busy. Rocky Mountain is not a top tier provider of EMS, it'll be interesting to see how long they maintain the AFA and Schriever contracts. The area rumor is that the "multiple appointment job announcement" is the Air Force looking to bring ALS EMS in house like Fort Carson does though I have not heard if there is any progress on that. I understand that it's tough to get hired at Carson without having served and having an in.
Sounds about right with the multiple appointment list. When it first came out I was working as a paramedic contractor at an AFB and that’s what they were saying about it too. Bit the big hang up t was convincing top brass of the advantages of having EMS in house. Until enough of the contract companies screw up royally, I don’t see them switching. If you’re really serious about getting on as a paramedic for the federal service you need to apply everywhere and be willing to relocate. Eventually you may be able to transfer of get a preferential hire to where you really want to be, but that is not guaranteed to happen.