AHA BLS for Healthcare Provider Course

Codz

Forum Ride Along
So, I've got my BLS course on Saturday in Los Angeles, and was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips about it. I took an AHA CPR/AED course a couple years back, if that matters at all.

Thanks.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
show up on time. do what they tell you. refrain from participating in the rehashing of every time you've done cpr. dont forget to pick up your card on the way out.

cpr is monkey skills and super easy no need to worry about anything, escpeccially since they rebooted it.

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
It should be a pretty simple class. No need to worry!

OP
OP
Codz

Codz

Forum Ride Along
Thanks! Just a bit nervous since this'll be my first real step towards finally an getting EMT-B cert.

OP
OP
Codz

Codz

Forum Ride Along
Finding an EMT-B course in Los Angeles County this Fall. Anyone have any recommendations?

surfinluke

Forum Crew Member
I did CIEMT and it was good. Mine was an accelerated course so a few hours of studying every night was about right and I did fine. Just pay attention and take good notes.

OP
OP
Codz

Codz

Forum Ride Along
Thanks, I've been leaning towards them, since they're fairly close to me, and it seems like the enrollment process is less of a hassle.

smurfe

EMS Educator
show up on time. do what they tell you. refrain from participating in the rehashing of every time you've done cpr. dont forget to pick up your card on the way out.

cpr is monkey skills and super easy no need to worry about anything, escpeccially since they rebooted it.[/QUOTE

This is not a correct statement. CPR is NOT a "monkey skill" that "super easy" Most CPR done incorrectly and ineffectively. No one seems to take it serious. CPR is the number one most important event in a cardiac arrest situation. When our service got monitors that gives CPR feedback we found that less than 10% of the time proper, effective CPR was being administered. These stats are for veteran EMS providers, not new EMS providers. As an educator, this has shifted my focus on taking the AHA course then moving on to something else. I regularly cover proper CPR all through the EMT education process and guide the practice of the skill every chance possible.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
CPR is muscle memory. Nothing more. Do enough of it, and it's second nature.

The key is regular practice (to prevent bad habits) and a code leader to watch the quality CPR on scene and make corrections as needed.

smurfe

EMS Educator
CPR is muscle memory. Nothing more. Do enough of it, and it's second nature.

The key is regular practice (to prevent bad habits) and a code leader to watch the quality CPR on scene and make corrections as needed.

I agree 100% Practice and actually pay attention to whats going on! Doing actual CPR on a real patient is not practice. Actually pull the mannequins out on a regular basis. Practice your rate and depth of compression. I was really shocked when we started being able to review CPR quality. The constant argument I hear against regular training is that the fire department does 99% of the CPR for us and the issue is theirs. I say BS. It is the code leader responsibility to assure that these providers are providing proper CPR. Otherwise, we are wasting our time and violating/desecrating a dead body.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Exactly. Using the Physio code stat software is a huge eye opener and dramatically improved compression fraction and decreased hands off time at my last service.