AED's

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
So as BLS providers what AED's do you use, and prefer?
I'm wondering if we should purchase (my own seperate business) one of those AED's that you put the two pads on and you can switch between automatic and manual (for ALS), and also provide SPO2 monitoring, tidal volume, 3 lead print outs etc. The HeartStart MRx (http://www.medical.philips.com/main/products/resuscitation/products/mrx/index.html) is an example.

I'm just looking for some oppinions and suggestions.
Thank-you.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
The heartstart MRx, the LP12, and the Zoll E and M series are defibrillator/monitors... they all have some form of semi-automatic AED mode... but I wouldn't even think about buying them if they weren't going on an ALS unit... the state inspectors might not allow them to count as AED's.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
Well, in my personal opinion, I prefer the electric ones. I know they are more expensive and all, but I've found when the chips are down they beat the hand-crank ones in almost every way.

Nothing worse than having to go "CLEAR!" *whir whir whir whir ZAP*

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, in my personal opinion, I prefer the electric ones. I know they are more expensive and all, but I've found when the chips are down they beat the hand-crank ones in almost every way.

Nothing worse than having to go "CLEAR!" *whir whir whir whir ZAP*

Hahahahaha.

Phillips recently gave my SAR team two HeartStart FRx AEDs and a trainer. They don't have the capability for monitoring/manual defib but otherwise they seem pretty nice. We're like... pre-prehospital and very few SAR folks are ALS providers so that stuff isn't really necessary anyways. We haven't had the opportunity to use them yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

mdkemt

Forum Lieutenant
I personally prefer the LifePak 12. You have the option of using pads or paddles...doing 3/4/12 lead ECG...can do SPO2 monitoring and tidal volume. Love them!

MDKEMT

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
i agree with mdk. LP12's, we being an ALS service carry them. but several of the outlying BLS services use the LPs and they like them.

OP
OP
traumateam1

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks for all the ideas.
So I've been doing some research and I like the LifePak 12 and from what I've seen I like it, so as a BLS provider, would you ALS providers and people who have used it recommend it for me?

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
100%. but they only thing about it I don't like is the NIBP monitoring is not the greatest.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
im confused. i thought this thread was regarding AED's for a bls service. now it seems that it has shifted towards monitor/defibs. sure they have an auto feature, but they arent aed's, both physically and legally.

i dont know where the op is located, but in my service area, a bls truck cant carry a monitor and "promise" to use it only in auto mode. if the same is true in yours, then an lp12, m/e series, mrx or any other monitor will get your service in hot water. the theory that if you get a medic, they can use it on manual mode isnt very sound. the responding als crew should have their own gear. should you then also carry drugs and what not??

phillips heartstart frx, zoll aed+, lifepak 1000. as far as aeds go, there isnt a whole lot of difference. your best bet is to find out what monitor your most likely intercept has and buy the aed from that maker.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Actually...the LP 1000 can be configured to work as a manual defib, often locked out with an access code needed... that way ALS doesn't have to switch right away.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
jon: i know there are a few aeds that have a manual mode that can be unlocked. but thats quite different from a monitor. that feature has to be unlocked. assuming you can effectively control the means to unlock it, it just another aed unless in the hands of an als provider. were you to give a monitor to a bls crew not trained in any part of acls, you could very well run into a scenario where the bls providers spend precious time fiddling with the als features on the monitor, not providing excellent bls care and transporting. i can see it clearly in my minds eye. "well, i'll get everything ready for the medics"(assembles ecg cables with electrodes). "well, it cant hurt if i put the electrodes on before they get here, right"?(untrained or minimally trained bls guy start to apply 4 lead; maybe even goes on to put the leads on for a XII lead). then things get rough. this is where a little bit of knowledge make the situation go sideways. "i know this rhythm, etc".

*THIS ISNT AN ALS v. BLS THEMED POST. PLEASE DONT INTERPRET IT THAT WAY OR TAKE IT IN THAT DIRECTION*

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Before anyone can tell you which AED is going to best suit your needs, it might be nice to know something about where its going to be used and by whom. What is your business?

OP
OP
traumateam1

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
Simply providing first aid for events.
From speedway races, to 2 hour "walk-a-thons" Any event that happens in this city, is bylaw required to have first-aiders at their event. And my partner and I have made quite a rep. in this city, so we are getting a lot of events.
So it's not like we need a manual defib. with 12 lead capabilities.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
so disregard every answer that involves lp12, zoll m/e series, phillips mrx and any other monitor.

i like the phillips frx myself, but i have the most professional experience with the zoll aed+

with an aed, you wont get spo2, etco2(which im assuming is what you meant by tidal volume) or an ecg printer. then again, as a first responder, you have no need for any of that so its all good.

btw, the phillips mrx you referenced in your first post runs about 20k+ with all the bells and whistles.

BEorP

Forum Captain
Just get any standard lay person AED... if you're not even a PCP there is no need for anything more.

OP
OP
traumateam1

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
Thank you to everyone who gave some advice. I guess a simple, slap on the pads and push the orange button AED will do.
Again, Thanks

Mitch

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Why would a medic use a manual if a automatic is handy? Does the automatic give a better shock? Or is it that if you use a manual you can tell if the shocked helped by looking at the rythm.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Why would a medic use a manual if a automatic is handy? Does the automatic give a better shock? Or is it that if you use a manual you can tell if the shocked helped by looking at the rythm.

monitor/defibs can do things that an aed cant. they can monitor(disreagrd aeds that display 1 lead), 12lead, pace, syncronized cardiovert, serve as a code recorder. all features that only als level providers need.

IrishMedic

Forum Crew Member
just so its out there the LP 12 can be purchase from medtronic with the option of just having a AED function and the 3/4/12 Lead , BP, Spo2, Event Recorder etc...i know because i was asked to research for a service i worked with before....therefore legally it would be an AED

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
just so its out there the LP 12 can be purchase from medtronic with the option of just having a AED function and the 3/4/12 Lead , BP, Spo2, Event Recorder etc...i know because i was asked to research for a service i worked with before....therefore legally it would be an AED

just for giggles, whats that type of setup go for.