AEDs in the Home

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Now that it's possible to obtain an AED for $1500 for home use, do you think it's a good investment?

Do you or would you have a CPR in the home?

After the incident of a man having a possible MI on the airplane, I called different family members to let them know I'd be late, and what happened. A couple questioned about having an AED at home, and of course I said "Nah, it's not really needed."

What do you think?

rescuemedic7306

Forum Crew Member
In MN (and I presume elsewhere), Physicians will prescribe home AEDs to people at risk for sudden cardiac arrest. We then have to train the family members to use it. If I was such a patient, I'd want an AED, yes sir!

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuemedic7306@May 8 2005, 02:12 AM
In MN (and I presume elsewhere), Physicians will prescribe home AEDs to people at risk for sudden cardiac arrest. We then have to train the family members to use it. If I was such a patient, I'd want an AED, yes sir!
Within the past six months or so there is now longer a requirement to have a script for an AED. In fact Amazon.com was advertising them on their main page for a few months.

The Philips HeartStart Home Automated External Defibrillator is the only one you can buy right now without a prescription, but I can only assume others are to follow.

I can only imagine my boy blue (TTLWHKR) will have one in the kid shortly :)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by MMiz@May 8 2005, 02:18 AM

The Philips HeartStart Home Automated External Defibrillator is the only one you can buy right now without a prescription, but I can only assume others are to follow.

I can only imagine my boy blue (TTLWHKR) will have one in the kid shortly :)
Ever see one? they make any other AED seem WAYYY too complex. these are moron-proof..

Jon

emtbuff

Forum Captain
They would almost have to be moron-proof to be sold to the public.

I would have to say that if a person was demened by the doctor to need one fine but just for jo blow off the streets to pick one up I am kinda leary about the idea but I guess you see them in different public areas so whats the difference.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
What I was saying is that with most AED's you need little training to use them properly... tun on AED, open pads, put stickers where pictures say they go, connect pads as per pictures, "stand clear of patient." "Push shock button" and "Do CPR" - Simple and easy

These Home AED's are even simpler - you pull handle, machine turns on, and pads are there... open and preconnected. You stick stickers on chest, stand clear or pt., and I don't even think it has a shock button. - Moron-proof

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
You can open most medical catalogs, flip to the training manikins section, and find "at home CPR kits". "Learn CPR at your own pace" they spout off in the ads. I say, if your going to learn something, do it the right way; you can't ask a nine dollar key chain (the cpr thing that tells you what to do) a question.. and for the cost of the kit-you could take every class the ARC offers.

I know of two families in the area that have AED's in their homes. We trained them to use the AEDs on our EMS & Fire units; and to use the kit we have hanging in the "fire hose" cabinet outside. Unoffically, of course. But both families are members of the department, and have children with heart problems. I support anything that will give someone the extra shot at surviving any medical emergency.