Aed

planetsteveo

Forum Probie
Funny thing I just found out...

Now as an average Joe unlicensed citizen, in my state you can purchase and own an AED with no medical direction. Say...Joe business owner can purchase an AED and place it in his store.

However, as a independent/volunteer EMT-B without a medical director. I cannot have one in my kit. It is in my scope of practice to be able to use one, but can't carry one.

Has anybody ran into a similar circumstance? I'm debating trying to appeal to the state EMS bureau for an exception (though a little clueless where to start) since what I do in my "duty" is often very remote from definitive care.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I think you're mistaken. AEDs have been approved for personal use at home, but buying one from a business still requires medical oversight/direction.

Get yourself a medical director and you're welcome to go full whacker mode and buy one. If you're a volunteer EMT-B you should already have a medical director.

Good luck!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Not a good idea, but an obvious one.

The issue is whether you have the AED with the intention of treating yourself or family or someone you are in charge of (dependent kid, babysitting) as needed; the device usually says "with order of an MD", right?

If you get one to carry in your car, or to treat unknown others, you are freelancing. No coverage from civil issues, or any legal one where you live.

Yes, you can buy one. I can buy a serious blowgun in Ca but it's illegal for me to (try to) kill anything with it.

Businesses buy them as part of the requirement to have sufficient medical equipment and supplies (usually, a first aid kit,….ha ha ha) to assure customer safety. Target stores is fighting that, and some employers privately tell employees not to use the AED no matter what.

You will need real medical oversight, documentation of any/every use, replace outdated or opened electrodes, keep the software current (pun unintended), make sure the batteries are in good shape (they expire and if rechargeable can lose efficiency without proper care), track manufacturer's recalls and notices. Some EMSA's require you to register them with local EMSA or fire dept (???use except maybe that app where your phone tells you where the local AED is). Can't use it in a moving vehicle, and if you are driving in from Podunk working on Uncle Fester, stopping the car and CPR every two minutes is not optimal.

Maybe Florida or Arizona has a "Zap your ground" law?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
planetsteveo

planetsteveo

Forum Probie
My job is somewhat unique. I am an independent contractor that travels all over the state providing medical coverage to movie crews.

I have Mal-practice insurance through a Union. But because I travel and don't stay in a district, none of us can seem to find anybody willing to cover us as far as a medical director.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You're not going to be able to provide medical coverage as a paid contractor without medical direction.

I was going to say if you're doing remote medicine you don't need an AED because what do you plan on doing with them after they obtain ROSC? But then I saw you're talking about movie sets. Movie sets means movie stars.

OP
OP
planetsteveo

planetsteveo

Forum Probie
Actually I can in my state, as long as I stay within the scope of my practice it's approved by our state EMS Bureau. Our union has it in writing and we are protected under that umbrella. I can't push a single med though, other than O2. Can't even administer Glucose.

I'm there to touch up boo-boos mostly and be first responder in case the worst happens. I'm a less fancy school nurse. :rofl:

But again, since filming takes place sometimes 50 miles out from anything resembling civilization, I'd ideally like to have an AED "just in case". I carry a satellite phone as "just in case" even.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Fair enough. Makes no sense why you can practice to your full scope of practice however you cannot possess an AED to use in that job.

50 miles from civilization is far from remote friend :)

OP
OP
planetsteveo

planetsteveo

Forum Probie
Well those movie stars need running water. But seriously, one time the closest thing was a town with one stop sign (no stop light) and a volunteer EMS squad of two...one being the Sheriff. LOL.

Yeah it's a silly loophold. I wish I could find a medical director that would at least let me do basics like AED, glucose, aspirin. I'm willing to do the maintenance on the unit as required, I'd just feel better having one. Besides, I get to write off the cost of the purchase and maintenance on my taxes as a business expense :D

Leads back to my OTC thread. Although I can't suggest or give somebody OTC meds, I have first aid stations set up with OTC meds available to the crew. Along with cough drops, sunscreen, hand sanitizer, hand lotion and such.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Require the employer/contractee to provide an AED, with the specifics on maine and med control drawn up in the contract.

OP
OP
planetsteveo

planetsteveo

Forum Probie
Actually that's a really good idea. Put it back on the production company to have one available for use and I can "check out" the equipment like I do my radio. Thanks!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Actually that's a really good idea. Put it back on the production company to have one available for use and I can "check out" the equipment like I do my radio. Thanks!
Have you contacted a place like aedsuperstore.com? They offer a free prescription for their commercial AEDs and also allow you to purchase medical direction.