AED Selection

dmc2007

Forum Captain
I'm currently working on finding a replacement for my campus service's Lifepak 500, as Physio-Control won't be providing an update for the 2010 AHA protocols. I know that most AED's are pretty much interchangeable, but I'd like to find some sort of guidelines on how to select an AED for EMS. I've got the list narrowed down to Cardiac Science, Physio-Control, Zoll, and Philips. Any suggestions? A google search turned up mainly resources for layperson AED programs, and the state's website wasn't helpful.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
what brand does the reseponding ALS use? I would go with that so all they have to do is connect to your pads. other than that, price for the unit and batteries.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm currently working on finding a replacement for my campus service's Lifepak 500, as Physio-Control won't be providing an update for the 2010 AHA protocols. I know that most AED's are pretty much interchangeable, but I'd like to find some sort of guidelines on how to select an AED for EMS. I've got the list narrowed down to Cardiac Science, Physio-Control, Zoll, and Philips. Any suggestions? A google search turned up mainly resources for layperson AED programs, and the state's website wasn't helpful.

Cardiac Science. Just my .02 cents worth. If you want a users manual, let me know. I've been an educator for CSI for many moons.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
They all have merits

We had Zoll's, and I liked them and their Smart Batteries..but not cheap. They had (have?) a program where if you used the electrodes on an arrest, then sent the electrodes and an account of the arrest, they sent you free replacements....$120 or so saved right there.

OP
OP
D

dmc2007

Forum Captain
what brand does the reseponding ALS use? I would go with that so all they have to do is connect to your pads. other than that, price for the unit and batteries.

That's a great point. Complicating matters is the fact that we are served by two responding agencies (our campus straddles two municipalities), but I'll definitely look into it.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

WestTac1

Forum Probie
I'd go with the dealer/rep who can provide you with the greatest service. Most AED's are the same, and a knowlegable rep who is responsive an educated can make a lot of difference.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If you plan on using this unit for event coverage (if your service does this), consider getting a hard (Pelican-type) case to go with it. They really don't add that much bulk and can save a lot of abuse in crowded or wet areas.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
That's a great point. Complicating matters is the fact that we are served by two responding agencies (our campus straddles two municipalities), but I'll definitely look into it.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Both of your responding services use LifePak 12s on the 911 trucks. Another option is just to have an adapter attached to the wire from whatever you are using to Qik-Connect pads.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Adapters are just another thing to get lost, so if it is in your budget, get the compatible AED.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If you are a BLS only service (and plan to stay that way), it might be worth considering the "public-access" type model from the manufactuer (i.e. LifePak CR, Philips HeartStart FRx, Zoll AED Plus, etc).

They are considerably cheaper and with proper care and case, should last plenty long with a lower volume service.