AED In Schools?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
If you would have asked me in Michigan I would have told you that every middle school absolutely needs an AED, no questions asked. Around here, in the great South, AEDs aren't really seen as an absolute in middle schools. They have one in the high schools, but not the middle schools.

What do you think? Could that $2,000 be better spent elsewhere? I need some great marketing materials and dramatic videos... any ideas?

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Just my .02, but you might contact the Centers for Disease Control to find out how many adolescent deaths occurred in a pre-hospital/school environment and how many may have had a different outcome with intervention. In addition, you might mention that Middle School concerts/ballgames/open houses, etc. are attended by us old people who no longer have youthful hearts. I know if I had ever attended a Parent Teacher Conference and the teachers told me that my boys were all getting straight A's, I'd drop on the spot!! :p

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Any school that has organized sports teams - middle schools, high schools, colleges - should have at least 1 AED per facility where sports are played, and they should be accessible (on the field, in the gym, etc) during sporting events. All coaches should know how to use them.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
If I remember correctly here is the argument against the need for pediatric AED's:
1-Pediatrics almost always go into cardiac arrest S/P respirtory arrest. Oxegenate them and they are supposed to get better.

2-Pediatrics don't STAY in V-Fib... they are in it for a few seconds.., they don't have the fat stores to supply the heart beyond that.

OK... Sappy, but true arguement:
Every school could use that 2000 for MANY things.. but how much is the life of a single student worth?

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Anyone have any ideas for promotional AED videos? Possibly a whole school of kids going into spontaneous VFib at the same time, and then a bunch of EMTs with AEDs going around and saving one life after another? I think if I had that video I could get one for each student! :)

rescuecpt

My high school was the one that started petitioning for (and got) the law in NY requiring AEDs for any school that has sports teams, because one of our freshman died when he took a lacrosse ball to the chest - the doctors were pretty sure he could have been saved if he had been defibbed within minutes, but unfortunately there was no AED on site.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I have yet seen or responded to anyone that was a student in v-fib. I have only seen v-fib once in a pediatric patient in my nearly 30 yr career. It is a very rare occurrence.

If you were to purchase one, then I would place one that is capable of pediatric and adult (where it will be used, if it is at all) where it is accessible.

Basically, pediatrics do not go into v-fib unless as noted previously respiratory difficulties (and those have be corrected first) and pericardial trauma. In many of those are short period of V-fib and will not be such by the time the machine is gathered and applied.

I recommend to take the money to purchase one and train the staff in BLS, since studies have proven better CPR is a better precursor in outcomes.

R/r 911

rescuecpt

'Our hero:' School nurse saves life with defibrillator

http://www.nysut.org/newyorkteacher/2005-2006/060413defibrillator.html

A state law enacted in 2002 and backed by New York State United Teachers requires defibrillators in all public schools and at scholastic events.

The law has already saved several lives, including that of a 16-year-old student from Naples , near Rochester , in November. Teacher Courtney Conrad of the Naples TA and two colleagues used an AED after the student collapsed. Marcellus has had the AED devices since the legislation was passed, Bowman said.

rescuecpt

Matt,

The Louis Acampora Foundation (named for the student from my school district who died) has a free kit you can order to help start an AED program. Check out their website here: http://www.la12.org/ - they were EXTREMELY instrumental in establishing the NY AED in schools law (ie, they came up with the idea, raised funds, lobbied, etc, and got it done).

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Matt,

The Louis Acampora Foundation (named for the student from my school district who died) has a free kit you can order to help start an AED program. Check out their website here: http://www.la12.org/ - they were EXTREMELY instrumental in establishing the NY AED in schools law (ie, they came up with the idea, raised funds, lobbied, etc, and got it done).
I just ordered a kit. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

rescuecpt

No problem. :)

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Pad=aed!!

AHA is a great source for data and materials for teaching. great web site also!:)

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
We started a petition a week ago to raise awareness, and one girl went home and told her dad about it. The next day his company donated a LifePak 500... which is a miracle for a small town.

Erika's resource (website) she posted is amazing. I would suggest that anyone looking to set up a PAD/AED in School program visit the website and request a packet.

I'm excited!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
That's awesome Matt. Congratulations to you and your school for getting this necessary item.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Primary purpose of school AED:

"Billy, if you don't behave you are going to get an electrical punishment!"

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I wrote an article that was published in a regional EMS publication here in PA on Commotio Cordis. Anyone that isnt familiar with Commotio Cordis I encourage you to Google it and learn about it.

While its true pediatric patients primarily go into arrest due to a respiratory etiology, the adolescent population can go into arrest due to blunt trauma to the chest (Commotio Cordis) from very seemingly innocent activities. It is not widely known about and is under reported but serves as an excellent, real world argument for why AED's are needed in ALL schools.