Advice??

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
i was actually being really sarcastic in saying 'lowley bls stuff' and 'fun' stuff and yes i think starting out as an emt-b is paying your dues............you have to start some where right? and yes you do need to become proficient, that's an abosolute........but when you start at the low end of the totem poll (to learn or not to learn) is paying your dues..........i was making a point in being sarcastic that you're not going to start out 19 years old and be at the top rung.....you know what i mean?? i'm 30 years old (working since i was 14,that's a lot of work expierence) and even i couldn't get a foot in the door at a hospital in san diego without either 'knowing someone' or doing voluenteer work (plus i've been in the allied health field for 4 yrs now in a different capacity)............so please i'm not so immature and i do know what i'm talking about..........and i've done pleanty of research.......also you have to take into account the areas you're working, i don't know how it is in houston, but here in san diego, EVERYONE is a paramedic, firefighters have to be paramedics first, then you have the paramedics who aren't firefighters, so bls, emt-b whatever you want to call it, around here is starting out and is paying your dues ;) just like if i were to work in a hospital as an er tech, you don't think i would be paying my dues in some sense before i were to become an emergency room nurse? people when going to paramedic school and nursing school due clinicals don't they?? isn't that paying your dues?? getting expierence so when you do start working in the ultimate capcity of what you want, you know what you're doing...........and as you said "It's called becoming proficient in stabilizing and treating patients" you're totally right.......but you have to start somewhere and working your way up is paying your dues..........maybe you and i just have diffrent definitions of that. :blush:

Apparantly we do...................

Sarcastic or not, its the wrong attitude. Do you really think sarcasm is appropriate for a brand new EMT? How well do you think that is accepted by prospective employers, FTO's, or supervisors? I am sure you meant well in good humor, but remember, perception is everything...............

jazminestar

Forum Crew Member
"Paying your dues" comes from early 1900s with the establishment of labor unions which the term union dues later came about for fees to belong. People also working hard labor in prison camps "paid their dues" to society.

Health care professionals (and others) climb career ladders. Education, knowledge, skills and experience are acquired to make it to the next rung on the ladder. If you perceive your education as hard labor, thus paying your dues, you are doing yourself an injustice in the learning and experience process. Professionals like to look at their next step as a challenge and not a laborious task.

Everyday on a BLS truck should be an educational experience. Unfortunately many do not know how much there is to learn and do not take full advantage of there time with the patients on thse "BS" calls. Again, that vocabulary should not be used.

Too many EMTs wait until they start paramedic school when they think it will all magically come together and suddenly they will be great masters of assessment. This is one of several reasons why I do not encourage anyone to remain as an EMT for any longer than it takes to finish Paramedic, RN or whatever. There should be no time lapse from EMT to the Paramedic program to keep moving up the rungs of the ladders without taking on the "paying your dues" task mentality.

The same process goes for being an ER Tech. If you have the mentality of doing hard labor instead of seeing the learning opportunities, then there too, you will be doing yourself and the patients an injustice. Perception by the public will be reflected by your attitude toward the path you have chosen.

did you not see where i wrote:

getting expierence so when you do start working in the ultimate capcity of what you want, you know what you're doing.....

i understand the value of starting out and getting the expeirence you need to move to the next level..........what i really don't appreciate from some of you on this board is, i'm not some 18 yr old kid straight out of high school.....i'm 30 yrs old and have been working since i was 14.......i've already had one career, this is my second and ive already had one round of college and now i'm on a my second......so please in the future, i would appreciate a little bit of respect from those of you have been in this biz for years.........i don't like being talked down to or treated as if i've never have worked a day in my life.......obviously some of us have different definitions for things.......

and if you think for one second that i'm not looking to be the best at whatever is i choose to do you're dead wrong.........i've worked hard all my life and take in any and all expierence so i can move up, i understand the VALUE of knowing and perfecting the basics..........if you're aren't any good at those then you sure as hell aren't going to be any good in advance techniques OF ANY INDUSTRY......with all that being said, i'm not on here to be talked down to or for anyone of you to take things so literal.......i'm here to be part of this community to learn, vent, and communicate.........so in the future maybe some shouldn't be so snappy or presumtious of the people on this board. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

roxychick

Forum Crew Member
did you not see where i wrote:

with all that being said, i'm not on here to be talked down to or for anyone of you to take things so literal.......i'm here to be part of this community to learn, vent, and communicate.........so in the future maybe some shouldn't be so snappy of presumtious of the people on this board. :)

I agree. Many people on here come and join this forum to get more knowledge of what they don't know, advice, or just vent. Just because you have been in the business for many so years does not give you the right to be so damn snappy or rude to someone because of their lack of experience. Everyone has to learn somehow...and getting that kind of treatment isn't gonna do much help either.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Would you prefer to hear something about how your attitude might be perceived by others on an anonyomous forum or wait until you are amongst professionals whose respect you might want?

jazminestar

Forum Crew Member
Would you prefer to hear something about how your attitude might be perceived by others on an anonyomous forum or wait until you are amongst professionals whose respect you might want?

VM,

the thing is i'm not going to argue with you on an anonymous forum........i'm an adult and i know when i need to be professional, isn't the whole point of these board to be able to say what you will and not be chastised like i'm a 12 year old? Do you honestly believe i would act that unprofessional around a fto, or supervisor? obviously if i've already had one career and i've had many a job, i know when things are and when things are NOT apporpriate........thanks for insinuating advice, but i really rather be talked to as an adult.........i'm not an idiot. thanks.

OP
OP
Jeremy89

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
I've been out of school since the end of january and i've just been offered a job, oh i know it's with r/m doing the lowley transport bls stuff....but here's the deal sunshine, you have to pay your dues.........i'm stoked to be working with r/m.....why?? because if you did some research, they are contracted with sdfd and they have a bridge program where you get teamed up with a medic to do the 'fun' stuff..........a company in general for the most part is not going to hire you for a few months, unless of course it's like a seasonal job......

sorry to come off a little harsh but i think that some people forget you don't get things handed to you and you have to pay your dues (even if it's volunteering at a hospital) got to start somewhere :) and any job worth doing there's always going to be some b.s along the way, you just got ot figure out how to get around it.....good luck!!

And I agree 100%. Yes, everyone wants to work 911 calls, but at this point, I'll be excited to get a Patient Transport job at a hospital where I was just interviewed. You get paid $9.50/hr to push pt's from room to testing and back... sounds good to me! After 6 mo's I can transfer to the ER - I have some connections there.

jazminestar

Forum Crew Member
i'm glad u got the interview :) i hope it all works out for you, sounds like a good gig!!